Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Why won't any other major manufacturer get onboard with 1/5 scale??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Why won't any other major manufacturer get onboard with 1/5 scale??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:42 PM
rckiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why won't any other major manufacturer get onboard with 1/5 scale??

This was going to be a good debatable thread until all the dicks come on here with hpi vs clone crap and posting non related items[&o]
Old 01-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Ya, that Baja 4x4 is the holy grail isn't it? I have been told by an HPI insider that they have on again/off again development on it, but it isn't in full bore development. I think they had a designer leave or another designer come on board or a resource shift or something like that and there just hasn't been dedicated resources put to the Baja 4x4 development yet.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:25 PM
rcrick10
My Feedback: (1)

you hit the nail right on the head! enough said
i've been to china and have seen the bootleg BMW x5 yes a BMW SUV!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 PM
one2boost

Well I find it a bit amusing to see the so called clone manufacturer step up and introduce a 2 speed and a 4WD baja.  Granted I have not dug deep in the feedback on both items.  I just wonder why HPI has not come up with there own design.  IMO a shaft drive would be better, but I am not an engineer.  If I was, I would start off with a clean slate.  Although some would look at the cost savings of designing something work with an existing platform, much cheaper to be able to reuse majority of the parts from the 2WD platform.

Again, I am sure the other large manufacturers already have a few in the R&D departments.  But like most companies demand ways to make it much cheaper to manufacture but still want to sell a product at the premium price range of $1300.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

traxxas had one and xtm had one too but they didnt make it like the hpi 5b/5t did.so prolly that made them think that 5th scale is not for them hehe
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Biggest reasons are cost and market share IMO. Just like larger-scale planes, it takes dedication, not for the average car guy (teens). A set of wheels & tires for my sprinter are over $150 USD, about the cost of the 1/18 version. They are great for the realism though, drifting thru corners and the sound!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65138.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1553832  
Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 AM
nitrohead5300

Nice looking sprint car, Eddie!!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wanna know why there are so few 1/5 onroad cars!!!

it seems like they could be made at less cost than a off-road.

even the redcat 1/5 brushless buggy, man i would love to see an onroad version of it!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do realize you have used the demostrative "there" 3 times in your foolish rant when you should have used the possesive "their" ...talk about mindless idiots..
At least the Chinese go to school and learn their own language!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:45 AM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

even the redcat 1/5 brushless buggy, man i would love to see an onroad version of it!

I'm not a huge fan of onroads, but I wouldn't mind seeing another company make an F1 like FG has. I'd love to get something like that one of these days.

ORIGINAL: Mein Duff

You do realize you have used the demostrative "there" 3 times in your foolish rant when you should have used the possesive "their" ...talk about mindless idiots..
At least the Chinese go to school and learn their own language!
Thank you for your contribution to this thread. Every thread should have its own speech nazi who praises the chinese school system.
/sarcasm
Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

There are a lot of large scale on-road cars available...they are raced consistently outside of the US. FG is the popular one with the guys here due to availability and price. Also research: Carson/Smartech, HSP/Redcat, Contrast, MCD, H.A.R.M., Lauterbacher, etc..

Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM
mooman007uk

I'm not a huge fan of onroads, but I wouldn't mind seeing another company make an F1 like FG has. I'd love to get something like that one of these days.

h.a.r.m already do [link]http://www.harm-racing.com/rc-cars-and-parts/harm-racing-chassis/fx-2-011-chassis/[/link]

so do lauterbacher [link]http://www.lauterbacher.net/ltbmodelltec/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7&Itemid=19[/link]
Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 PM
rckiwi

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

h.a.r.m already do [link]http://www.harm-racing.com/rc-cars-and-parts/harm-racing-chassis/fx-2-011-chassis/[/link]

so do lauterbacher [link]http://www.lauterbacher.net/ltbmodelltec/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7&Itemid=19[/link]
Also RS5

http://www.rs5-modelsport.com/index....d=61&Itemid=61
Old 01-27-2011, 03:59 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

There are a lot of large scale on-road cars available...they are raced consistently outside of the US. FG is the popular one with the guys here due to availability and price. Also research: Carson/Smartech, HSP/Redcat, Contrast, MCD, H.A.R.M., Lauterbacher, etc..

i know they are more popular outside of usa. i have seen some amazing race vids on youtube!
redcat did have a rally version of the rampage, but the dont sell it anymore[&:]
anyway, id rather have a brushless powered on-road myself. one that is 4wd and could be setup with drift tires or street tires.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Lars from Norway

I wouldn't mind seeing more onroad- and rallycars in 1/5th scale, and a wider choice of bodies for them.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:33 PM
splcrazy

i think im going to get a 1/5th scale on road next , i already have 3 1/5th scale off roads , the FG F1 RACE CAR seems like a good choice
Old 01-28-2011, 10:36 AM
wyattroa

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

i think im going to get a 1/5th scale on road next , i already have 3 1/5th scale off roads , the FG F1 RACE CAR seems like a good choice
I wanted an F1 as well, but have heard from many members of the 5th scale community to get a sedan. The reason being is the F1 is so low it is built for pretty much only a track, whereas the sedan can be driven in parking lots better. But if it is for pure racing, the F1 is a great choice.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:37 PM
savagecommander

Profit margin. you know how many 5th scale my LHS sells? less than one a month. you know how many 1/10 or 1/8 scale? $30,000 a weeks worth. Ppl will but one, two, three "smaller" scale cars but most ppl only buy one 5th scale. that = less money made.

and i really hate to say elven wizards "prediction" is obvious. of course they'd have a 4x4 truck out before five years. you think HPI would be that stupid? kind of a no brainer there really.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:36 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

Profit margin. you know how many 5th scale my LHS sells? less than one a month. you know how many 1/10 or 1/8 scale? $30,000 a weeks worth
How big is your LHS? $30,000 worth is something like 60 cars. And that's using an average price of $500 per car. I doubt your LHS sells 60 cars a week. Assuming your LHS is open 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, they'd be selling a little over one car per hour.

I do however believe that they may only sell one 1/5 per month.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:37 PM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: wyattroa

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

I wanted an F1 as well, but have heard from many members of the 5th scale community to get a sedan. The reason being is the F1 is so low it is built for pretty much only a track, whereas the sedan can be driven in parking lots better. But if it is for pure racing, the F1 is a great choice.
nah its okay where i am there is heaps of unused and new roads that are nice and flat to race up and down all day long , for $1500 for the rtr version i think its a good choice , when i get it its gonna be painted ferrari red of course lol
Old 01-28-2011, 04:46 PM
savagecommander

bad example but the theory holds.

it might be 30k a month, but whatever......

when i bought my 5b you'd swear i tried to cross the border without papers or something... it was like nobody had ever seen something that big. too many ppl are also distracted by the $1000 price tag on most 5th scales... but then they drop 350 for a car, 200 for a motor, 100 for a pipe, 50 on tires.. so its like, whats the difference? drive something youll be scared to make go fast.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:51 PM
elven wizard

savagecommander says - and i really hate to say elven wizards "prediction" is obvious. of course they'd have a 4x4 truck out before five years. you think HPI would be that stupid? kind of a no brainer there really.

Then why didn't you come up with the 1/5 scale HPI 4x4 Monster Truck idea first ?? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM
savagecommander

what does that have to do with me coming up with the idea first? i hope youre not trying to suggest you were the first person to come up with that idea......
Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 PM
mooman007uk

I think elven might be suggesting is that someone has done it already, first was the chain drive K1, it was a TVP twin shock MT, very close to the savvy but not shaft drive; now we have the soon to be released, nutech shaft drive TVP chassis that is essentially a 1/5thscale savage.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 PM
elven wizard

[size=5]You Ding Dong Savagecommanduh, how about you mind your own business and keep your pathetic opinion to yourself !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.