Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Help? Problem with Rear wheels not moving

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Help? Problem with Rear wheels not moving

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Ghaligan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help? Problem with Rear wheels not moving

Hi guys. It's been a looooong time since i last posted on here. Around 3 weeks ago i bought a King Motor Baja 3.0 and i just installed an HPI Spark Plug igniter system, and a HPI Pull Start. But now when i try to move forward, it's like the rear wheels are braked. But it's not the brakes at all. Did i install something wrong or too tight? I don't get this anymore. I've had it so long and only got to use it once. Finally thinking this is it, and i get slapped with another problem. This is like the 8th problem in a row. They roll correctly one opp from the other, but moving both wheels in the same direction they get stuck. barely want to move. Much help would be appreciated.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Ghaligan

Default RE: Help? Problem with Rear wheels not moving

I don't know where to even guess what the problem is. It was all fine til i gave it a little bit of torque while i was outside for less than 5 minutes. I checked that wheel behind the pullstart and that seems to be okay. I'm sure i installed the Igniter properly as the HPI Manual says to leave a gap by using a HPI Header. When i look at the gears, only the center of the gear moves but not around the teeth when rolling forward. -___-
Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 PM
splcrazy

check the spur gear , check the clutch Hasnt broken inside , and if the problem isn't those two then finnaly check inside the gear box for different cases that might have come apart or broken gears
Old 02-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Ghaligan

Oh god. That should be fun everytime i take something apart on this thing, i end up stripping hex screws easily to create even more problems. What's the gear box? o.o
Old 02-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Clones are known for having the clutch shoes come unglued from the clutches. That will lock everything up.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Ghaligan

I have no idea where these 'Clutch Shoes" you speak of are located. I have no idea how to take the 2 speed transmission off or anything. This book doesn't tell you how, and the HPI Book is different.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Ghaligan

All this thing is giving me is problem, problem, problem, problem, problem after the other. One drive for less than an hour. 2 week old Baja. Front Rim broke. Waited 4 days to get it renew. Fixed that and then my Spark Plug Igniter thingie broke. Some weird spring popped out and there was no way to fix it. Waited 5 days to for it to arrive. Replaced it. Went outside thinking i was gonna drive finally, PULLSTART Breaks. WTH i'm saying to myself... Ordered a HPI geniune one. Waited from Friday til today to get THAT. Went outside today, pulled it, it started, BOOM, Now i got THIS problem. If this keeps up at the rate it's going i'm gonna throw the son of a %^^#@ on Ebay and get an offical HPI Baja cause this is ubberly rediculous.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Ghaligan

Okay, i took the whole 2 speed tranny off and the Clutch Bell is spinning freely but the wheels are still acting as if the brakes are holding them in. So i guess that's not the issue here. Anyone know how to get to the 'Gear box"? Where ever that is...?
Old 02-22-2011, 03:58 PM
TIGER76

Sorry to say m8 but you usually have to dismantle most of the bad end to get the gearbox out []

When you say wheels are locked but the diff is working as the wheels turn opp when turning one wheel?
check your brake pads arent stuck on its by the spur/pinion also has it got a failsafe on it,i know if i turn my baja on but not the tx my failsafe kicks my brakes on til it resumes a signal from the tx
Old 02-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Ghaligan

Hey thanks for helping out. I took all the gears off the side where the 2 speed is, and the rod where you put the bigger gears onto is locking up itself. I wonder if this has to do with it all? It's worse now, it barely moves. I'm just afraid something else is broken I hope it's just something is out of place.. But with my luck, probably something broke. So i have to get to that bubble in the center on the back of the Baja? X_______X That looks like a pain in the butt to get to! lol. Well i turned it on and the Failsafe isn't doing anything. It seems to work okay and i first noticed this when i was outside today that the rear wheels were 'dragging' while driving. :/ But i will check the spur/pinion set near the brakes.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Ghaligan

Wait...What the heck!? X___X I found the problem!!! There's a flathead hex screw half away out, and it's pressing up against the brake disc!! I can't believe all this time it was ONE loose hex screw to blame -_______________-
Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Ghaligan

Oh great... Just one tiny problem now. LOL. I don't remember how these gears go back on the shafts.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
TIGER76

Though it may be something to do with the disc brake pad lol
sorry i cant help on the 2 speed m8 [] best bet is google for pics and go from there
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60940.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1568395  
Old 02-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Ghaligan

It wasn't anything ^__^ It was just a flathead screw out of it's position pushing up against the disc break system. KM didn't do a very good job tightening some of the screws on these bajas properly :K :K lol. Thanks alot everyone. I really appreciate your time you took to help me out even though the problem was a simple little silly thing in front of me this whole time. My neighbors are gonna get a laugh out of this.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:13 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ghaligan

It wasn't anything ^__^ It was just a flathead screw out of it's position pushing up against the disc break system. KM didn't do a very good job tightening some of the screws on these bajas properly :K :K lol. Thanks alot everyone. I really appreciate your time you took to help me out even though the problem was a simple little silly thing in front of me this whole time. My neighbors are gonna get a laugh out of this.
As with any largescale car, you should be checking the screws yourself before you run the first time. This has been posted a number of times on various forums (even the HPI is not immune) I am not defending KM at all but keep in mind those cars are shipped a long way from the US and if anything, screws with come loose due any number of factors(temps and shipment handling come to mind) Now, not to come off as a know it all but the HPI manual is about the best thing to study to understand where everything goes and you should review it. It is different from the HPI but for the most part it is identical. I hope to hear about your experiences with the two-speed and see some videos of it in action.
peace

Old 02-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Ghaligan

Thank you bbuzzard! Such kind words. I will do a check on it before i FINALLY run it tomorrow! ^__^
Old 02-22-2011, 07:09 PM
LOST IN MN

Do yourself a favor and buy a tony's screw kit and as you remove screws replace them with the 12.9 hardened screws.  And always use high quality tools when working on any RC to reduce the risk of stripping heads on screws!

Use a tiny amount of blue loctite on screws that hold metal to metal parts together.  If you have a stubborn screw that wont come loose try heating it with a soldering iron get it as hot as possible before trying to remove it.  That will soften up the loctite.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:16 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, he's right...Tony's Screws are the real deal!! I have swapped out all the stainless steel ones that I upgraded from the stock ones cause they were weak.