Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Need help buying first large scale

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Need help buying first large scale

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:34 AM
evilss99
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help buying first large scale

sweet looking fg. decisions decisions. alot of money and a hard choice on which large scale would be the best fit for me. i am still watching that one ebay bit. but that is one big chunk of money. thanks alot to everyone giving me there thoughts on all of this so far. its helping alot.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 AM
evilss99

are the fs racing rc cars any good? you see alot of them online.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are clones of the V1 MCD's...there are tons of them sold and parts are available. They even have a dedicated forum that you may want to check out but to answer your question, no I have never seen one to say if they are reliable or not.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Sherv

Stay away from FS. It is even more problematic than the Redcat.
Cen and FS and Reely are all the same. Some differences here and there but same factory.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sherv, you'll need a vendor's license with all that stuff for sale in your sig, LOL
Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 AM
mooman007uk

in 5th scale you get what you pay for, a 5b is a sand rail so if you live near dunes that'd be the one to get...they are not bullet proof out the box and don't let anyone tell you different.
The 5sc is extortionately expensive at 1250, but handles better than it's 5b cousin but isn't bulletproof either, stock 2wd FG monster is same price as 5b and also needs upgrades out the box, all mentioned are 2wd. rampage, nutech, fg 4wd vary in price and quality but all of them need work out the box to a varying degree....everything I've owned and friends have owned, which covers all of the above and some, need more money investing in them to make them more durable unless you're running on flat land with no jumps.
As yet the only rc so far to date that I can honestly say has needed nothing out the box is the latest spec hurrax pyradRS but it's not cheap...$1500+ for a roller then +pipe, servos and engine[X(] the V4 mcd looks to be waaaay better than evo 3's which had drivetrain issues so hence needed money spending out the box, a V4 mcd will run you about $1400 new with motor. I'd forget the FS clone unless you're prepared to spend alot of time and money on it.
You can run anything from new with no upgrades and fix things as they break or fix them before you run them so you don't have downtime waiting on parts....there's a wealth of info on various forums as to the essential bits to get.
unfortunately 1/5th scale isn't a cheap hobby but I don't want to put you off, once you run a gasser you'll want to run nothing else, but if you buy a cheaper model then you end up spending more on fixing/upgrading than you would a more expensive model.
if you want a monster 2wd that has all the necessary upgrades and a bunch more goodies and can be converted to 4wd down the road i still reckon the used ebay one is your best bet...it looks to be in good shape...
Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 PM
glenn201

the cen has a lot of problems i got one here on the shelf but having it is what made me buy my MCD
Old 03-08-2011, 05:26 AM
Obeast44

ORIGINAL: Sherv

Cen and FS and Reely are all the same. Some differences here and there but same factory.
Hey Sherv hows that Nutech of yours running? Oh wait its not nvm......
Old 03-08-2011, 06:13 AM
Sherv

ORIGINAL: Obeast44

Grow up.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:50 AM
racetruck

I just got a first hand look at the new rampage XT and the changes look great going to be a good truck. you dont know what you are missing SHERV
Old 03-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Obeast44

ORIGINAL: Obeast44

Grow up.
Actually, I wouldn't say a word to you or about you if you wouldn't nonstop bash on Redcats. Especially considering you have never owned one and havent a damn clue about what you are talking about.

Do you ever think for a second, that you bring it all on yourself?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 AM
evilss99

well i passed up on that one fg. i think i am going to keep shopping around for some good deals. are there any sites that have good deals on new ones?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 AM
flatsghost

I was recently in your position in trying to decide which vehicle to purchase to enter the 5th scale class. I went back and forth on the HPI's, Redcat, KM, Nutech's etc. I ended up going with the 5bss kit. I wanted to build the kit so I would learn the in's and out's of the model for eventual upgrades and repairs. I picked up the kit 3 weeks before the 5sc kit came out, but after looking over the price I have no regrets on 5bss. The kit was easy to put together and runs well and after some good bashing I've had no issues with broken parts.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:45 AM
flatsghost

Just saw your post, davesmotors.com is good to go. 5% off if you use code "DDM"
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
mooman007uk

yep DDM has 2wd on sale, $849 -5% and shipping is free , I'd recommend fitting the alloy engine mounts before you run it and then fix/upgrade as you go.
largescalerc also have discounts and free shipping for MCD's, the V4 post july 2010 has the upgraded diffs the MT base model is now only $1150, comp one with a few more goodies is $1350

keep watching ebay that MT may get listed again for less
Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 AM
evilss99

cool. will check out those sites.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

i used to have a fg mt but it was just not for me i think..i thot if i ran it offroad it would break easily and if i want some nice parts for it ,i needed to buy it in the UK..the rampage mt i had was good too.but i didnt like that i bent my chassis on 1st outing..now i got my nutech mmt but i never ran it yet..but lookin at the nutech ,it looks really tough and im confident i can do cray jumps with it.if u want to check on nutech,go to nutechracingusa.com he have a sale going on the sandstorm for like $650s..