Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Most popular scale?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:07 AM
Idealist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Most popular scale?

Hello!

I would like to ask you big scale car fans,
which scale is most interesting for you:

1/6, 1/5, 1/4 - Quarterscale or even bigger now at 1/3?

The reason for this question is my own current project:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444070

And not only because of that,
but also because of the involved costs like engines, bodies,
spare parts and hopup opportunities?

I´ve found if I build bigger it´s sometimes even cheaper!
What do you think?
Old 06-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Most popular scale?

Personally i am mostly into 5th scale because of the not way too big size and easy access to parts in almost whatever hobbyshop i look in. It also gives me the opportunity to use already fabricated parts in my home built car if needed. But the bigger ones always impress me, maybe because they are not so common and they are often homebuilt
Old 06-23-2011, 02:57 PM
speedypetey61

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bigger does not always mean cheaper, but the problem with the bigger stuff like 1/4 scale is having a place to use it.
I have been into large scale for sometime now and ever since making the move from Nitro stuff years ago, I never looked back.
Simply because I have a place to use them, so I think thats one of the biggest problems with this scale.
Also unless your capable of making everything you need, parts for these old quarter scale are very expansive and hard to find and if you do find parts, most collectors don't really part with anything, so that weakens the hobby and interest to go BIG.
Years ago the 1/4 scale drag racing events had 50 entries, they raced at real drag strips, now there is only a handful of clubs like mine still running them.

I think 5th scale is great, but in the USA there isn't mush onroad racing going on, unless your in California they do hold some events but nothing like over seas does.
Off road 5th scale seems to have blown up with the interest in the HPI Baja 5B & 5T, some of the aftermarket guys like TGN hold some great events, so getting into 5th scale seems where it's at.

Luckily here in NY we have a 1/4 scale / 5th scale drag strip, our club has been around for 20 years and as long as I have a place to race I will continue to run the bigger stuff!
Nothing like Nitrous and a 90cc smoken them tires down the track!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 1/5 and believe this is the most common large scale.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Idealist

ORIGINAL: speedypetey61

Bigger does not always mean cheaper, but the problem with the bigger stuff like 1/4 scale is having a place to use it.
I have been into large scale for sometime now and ever since making the move from Nitro stuff years ago, I never looked back.
Simply because I have a place to use them, so I think thats one of the biggest problems with this scale.
Also unless your capable of making everything you need, parts for these old quarter scale are very expansive and hard to find and if you do find parts, most collectors don't really part with anything, so that weakens the hobby and interest to go BIG.
Years ago the 1/4 scale drag racing events had 50 entries, they raced at real drag strips, now there is only a handful of clubs like mine still running them.

I think 5th scale is great, but in the USA there isn't mush onroad racing going on, unless your in California they do hold some events but nothing like over seas does.
Off road 5th scale seems to have blown up with the interest in the HPI Baja 5B & 5T, some of the aftermarket guys like TGN hold some great events, so getting into 5th scale seems where it's at.

Luckily here in NY we have a 1/4 scale / 5th scale drag strip, our club has been around for 20 years and as long as I have a place to race I will continue to run the bigger stuff!
Nothing like Nitrous and a 90cc smoken them tires down the track!

Quarterscale engines?

I know there is a problem with collectors -
the got great engines like the Conley V8 on their shelfs,
but they don´t dare to run them inside of 1/4 scale cars!

This one for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NaWe...eature=related
or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3_Sw...eature=related
or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML6Ve...eature=related
or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-eL6fsKKC4
or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7MLJ...eature=related

I would love to get hold of one of these engines,
if I just would find someody to sell one to me.
Including gears and anything!

If I could get one of these,
I would build a true quarterscale model of my loved
´34 Ford Hotrod 3-window Coupe!

Is there anyone out there who can show me the way to one?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:00 PM
46u

There are places that sell similar engines but by the time you get done building a running car you could have bought a new 1 to 1 car but if you have deep pockets go for it.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:11 PM
46u

Here you go this guy will sell you a V8 1/4 scale engine starting at $5,695. He estimates 5.5 HP and you can buy a engine from ONB for a 1/5 scale that puts out 7 HP for under $500. [X(]
http://www.conleyprecision.com/609.htm
Old 06-24-2011, 02:19 PM
46u

Here you go a RTR T bucket for only $13,350. More then likely a 2 to 3 K HPI Baja would out run it. Now they are really neat and if you have plenty of money to burn would be cool to have one.
http://www.conleyprecision.com/cars.htm
Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
speedypetey61

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 46u

Here you go this guy will sell you a V8 1/4 scale engine starting at $5,695. He estimates 5.5 HP and you can buy a engine from ONB for a 1/5 scale that puts out 7 HP for under $500. [X(]
46u First let me start by saying, a mini V8 or in this case specifically a Conley is not for your everyday joe, I would question the 5.5 hp output , it's probably more like 3, but your not buying a 7k motor for your RC car to race it or because of any type of performance.
More importantly any piston port 2 stroke that is advertised at 7+hp is out right bull, but comparing the 2 as you did is just ridiculous to do, cause they are hardly used for the same purpose.
The Conley or any type similar mini v8 is hand machined one part at a time, each component is worked to perfection and after tons of tedious work and hundreds of hours per motor (complete) the V8 emerges, some of the guys that buy them will never know if they even turn over, cause they didnt buy them to run, there purpose is to sit on there desk or on the wall in there office..
As for the ONB motor, its a matter of alittle dremel work and rush it out the door to some joe-moe who is gonna beat the crap out of it in a pile of mudd.
The Zenoah parts or CY similar are mass produced in both China and Japan and god knows where else, surly not here in the USA, so even at the $500 price tag, it's built and priced for it's purpose.
Im not trying to justify a crazy 5k to 7k price tag on a motor because of it's performance or looks, but there are collectors that are content with sitting these motors on a shelf or in a car...Me? Naa I don't want a $7000 bookend, I'd rather have a $900 motor I can beat the snot out of, but this is'nt a perfect world and there is a wide range of people that differ in looks as well as lifestyle, so I think your comparison is too far fetched to use as a point..
Old 06-25-2011, 02:29 AM
Idealist

ORIGINAL: speedypetey61

ORIGINAL: 46u

46u First let me start by saying, a mini V8 or in this case specifically a Conley is not for your everyday joe, I would question the 5.5 hp output , it's probably more like 3, but your not buying a 7k motor for your RC car to race it or because of any type of performance.
More importantly any piston port 2 stroke that is advertised at 7+hp is out right bull, but comparing the 2 as you did is just ridiculous to do, cause they are hardly used for the same purpose.
The Conley or any type similar mini v8 is hand machined one part at a time, each component is worked to perfection and after tons of tedious work and hundreds of hours per motor (complete) the V8 emerges, some of the guys that buy them will never know if they even turn over, cause they didnt buy them to run, there purpose is to sit on there desk or on the wall in there office..
As for the ONB motor, its a matter of alittle dremel work and rush it out the door to some joe-moe who is gonna beat the crap out of it in a pile of mudd.
The Zenoah parts or CY similar are mass produced in both China and Japan and god knows where else, surly not here in the USA, so even at the $500 price tag, it's built and priced for it's purpose.
Im not trying to justify a crazy 5k to 7k price tag on a motor because of it's performance or looks, but there are collectors that are content with sitting these motors on a shelf or in a car...Me? Naa I don't want a $7000 bookend, I'd rather have a $900 motor I can beat the snot out of, but this is'nt a perfect world and there is a wide range of people that differ in looks as well as lifestyle, so I think your comparison is too far fetched to use as a point..
I can completely agree with what you write!

I didn´t know the prices are this high,
but those engines are simply beauties!!!

And this even seems to be a 1/3 scale engine:
http://www.conleyprecision.com/online_videos.htm

Anyway - thank you all for pointing me the way -
5k - 7 k is far - very far - beyond my budget,
and even IF I had it I woundn´t be willing to invest it.

@ 46u
A 1:1 Hotrod would be a real option then.

But:
I got all necessary (original) plans for both ´32 Ford Highboy and for
´34 Ford 3-window Coupe - both at 1/4 and 1/3 as well.

I´m a professional shipwright and yachtdesigner of 33 years experience -
and I´m capable of building the chassis for each version in carbon/epoxy
to a precision of +/- 0.5mm throughout.

And the bodies of all these cars to a similar precision.

The question where you possibly could help me:

With which scale and which car should I start???

And one more reason why I´m mostly thinking about a 1/3 or 1/4 scale Hotrod now,
is this very interesting project:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9712291/tm.htm

The option of using existing parts including the engine of a 1:1 Go-kart for kids - or from a Pocket-Quad also appear as an option to me!

What do you think?