Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/5 scale gas rc help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:19 AM
demon3200
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/5 scale gas rc help!!!

looking into getting in 1/5 scale, but I can't spend much money.
My area is large, so size is not an issue, but we do have snow in winter.
I need a good 1/5 scale buggy for $500-$600. I will consider used. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 AM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Default RE: 1/5 scale gas rc help!!!

You can get new Redcats for that price:

[link=http://rampagehopups.com/product.sc?productId=669&categoryId=29]RedcatRampage XB Buggy $519[/link]

or

[link=http://rampagehopups.com/product.sc?productId=670&categoryId=29]RedcatRampage XT Truck $579[/link]
Old 06-26-2011, 04:05 PM
demon3200

Anything on the Redcat Rampage TT?
How does the XB compare to the XT?
Old 06-26-2011, 04:27 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: demon3200

Anything on the Redcat Rampage TT?
How does the XB compare to the XT?
Well, since I have both the XB and TT, I can tell you that they are way two different beasts...The XB is about 3-5lbs lighter depending on the aftermarket pipe. The XB is quicker due to its lighter weight. The gearing is similar in each buggy but the TT's bearings are more durable. An upgrade to the XB's bearings and you have a durable buggy! The XT is the truck version of the XB, so the tires and body style is different. In regards to the electronics, I suggest replacing the servos before they fail(this is typical with most largescale RTR's) Redcats just had a great showing at the LS PowerJam Event this weekend, so they are race proven. Happy Shopping!

Old 06-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Sherv

If i were you I would save that money and keep on saving. Or try to find a used mcd/hpi baja. It wont be easy but used deals do pop up here and there and they are good quality/condition. I would avoid the redcat line all together and save more money and purchase a better quality product. Trust me I've done it all, bought cheap, expensive, and so on... Never go cheap because you end up spending money on it anyway. Why not start from a better product/platform. Luckily these days MCD vehicles are not as expensive as they used to be brand new.
on this forum this guy traded an mcd for a Tmaxx... these are the kinda deals you need to look for.
http://www.5thscaleracingforum.com/v...-brushless-rtr

If you dont mind a rwd buggy then take a look at the Baja 5b SS kit at around 795 bucks with tower discount. It is a kit and a lot of fun to build. I would take over any redcrap anytime. Not to mention the HUGE array of 3rd party upgrade parts for the baja 5b! Honestly it is the best starter 1/5th (imo) considering the parts are relatively cheap and so many non HPI option parts for it.

If you can scrape up some more money then I have a buggy with over 1200 in new alloy parts on it for sale (pm me for details).

Dont buy cheap vehicles. It comes back to haunt you. Saying this from experience.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:24 PM
bbuzzard

Seriously, Sherv...why are you even in this thread? You have only owned a few largescale cars and I refuse to debate with you about this...run your car or stand down. Your Smartech...er, Nutech has not even raced against my Redcats, so where is your objective experience with Redcats? Is it based on hearsay, typical brand loyalty(which I don't fault), or pure ignorance?
No blood, no foul...

Note to admins: I ain't really starting anything that hasn't been asked before of Sherv, so let him answer before you start deleting posts.

ORIGINAL: Sherv

If i were you I would save that money and keep on saving. Or try to find a used mcd/hpi baja. It wont be easy but used deals do pop up here and there and they are good quality/condition. I would avoid the redcat line all together and save more money and purchase a better quality product. Trust me I've done it all, bought cheap, expensive, and so on... Never go cheap because you end up spending money on it anyway. Why not start from a better product/platform. Luckily these days MCD vehicles are not as expensive as they used to be brand new.
on this forum this guy traded an mcd for a Tmaxx... these are the kinda deals you need to look for.
http://www.5thscaleracingforum.com/v...-brushless-rtr

If you dont mind a rwd buggy then take a look at the Baja 5b SS kit at around 795 bucks with tower discount. It is a kit and a lot of fun to build. I would take over any redcrap anytime. Not to mention the HUGE array of 3rd party upgrade parts for the baja 5b! Honestly it is the best starter 1/5th (imo) considering the parts are relatively cheap and so many non HPI option parts for it.

If you can scrape up some more money then I have a buggy with over 1200 in new alloy parts on it for sale (pm me for details).

Dont buy cheap vehicles. It comes back to haunt you. Saying this from experience.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:25 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Looks like Redcats did really well at PowerJam. I should have all the pictures for upload tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Karontu

i was thinking about going redcat before i found a local deal on my baja, got it for 600 and it was only 1 month old. so surf CL before you buy one, might get a better price
Old 06-26-2011, 06:02 PM
demon3200

How fast are the Redcats in terms of speed? How do they compare to the Baja clones, like the King Motor and the Rovan?
And no, I DO NOT have $800 to spend!!! And I still have to buy the electronics!
Maybe if someone has a used Baja... Exactly how do I search Craiglist for one?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:18 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

In straight speed, the Baja will be faster. But, add some turns and the Redcatg will shine.

Search Baja on craigslist.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:42 PM
bbuzzard

How fast are the Redcats in terms of speed? How do they compare to the Baja clones, like the King Motor and the Rovan?
And no, I DO NOT have $800 to spend!!! And I still have to buy the electronics!
Maybe if someone has a used Baja... Exactly how do I search Craiglist for one?
Here's a video of my XB running;
http://youtu.be/RusJSuue5R8

Old 06-26-2011, 07:08 PM
demon3200

At our craiglist in SD, there are no bajas. But somebody has an Associated RC10GT2 that I could trade for an old gps that I have.
http://sd.craigslist.org/tag/2387280789.html
Sound like a good idea? I could sell it later...
Old 06-26-2011, 07:34 PM
bbuzzard

You know, while we are suggesting buying a used Baja...what's the history on that being a real deal? Don't get it twisted, I like the platform but I have heard some bad experiences buying a used one...the buyer usually spends enough that should have just bought a new one. I have bought used beasts before but I had a chance to see them personally before I bought them...make that your plan also.

my 2cents
Old 06-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Karontu

i was saying search CL for all 1/5ths not just the baja. i just went with what i have parts support for as i live all of 40 mins from the TGN headquarters
Old 06-27-2011, 04:17 AM
YKNOTRC

looking into getting in 1/5 scale, but I can't spend much money.
My area is large, so size is not an issue, but we do have snow in winter.
I need a good 1/5 scale buggy for $500-$600. I will consider used. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have had my Redcat XB for about a month now,Ran about 8 tanks through it so far! I am very happy with it! I did a lot of research before I purchased it and can say you have to weed through the BS and decide for yourself whats best for you,I wanted a 4WD buggy I feel by far the XB is the best buy for your money !

When I got the XB I went over it and loctited everything! I added a Jetpro side pipe, other then that it is all stock and have had zero issues with it!

I expect to have to change the servo`s but so far the stock ones are getting the job done for me,I do run this thing hard and run with a few guys with Baja`s they are faster in a drag race but not by much,throw in a few turns and I run away from them in a lap or two!

Just remember which ever you choose you have to be willing to do some Maintenance when you are done running it ,I go through mine and clean the bearings and make sure everything is tight after every outing.

Hope this helps a little, Best of luck with whatever you choose!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:20 AM
demon3200

Whoa. I don't believe it.
We have a track!!!

Now THIS completely changes the game here!!! Is the redcat any good for that stuff?
Because the guy who owns the track said that the Redcats aren't durable
Maybe now I'll have to buy an RC8...
Old 06-27-2011, 04:02 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Redcatters won big at the PowerJam this weekend. Tell the track owner to get on board the train or its going to leave the station without him.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:13 PM
electricrc68
Banned

he said that because usually a hobby shop won't stock redcat parts or vehicles, therefore they are trying to get you away from it. this way, they will make more money.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:28 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:29 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Just like any RC but more so with large scale the cheapest part is getting started staying in it is where it gets expensive. Just look at the price of 1/8 or 1/10 scale tires then look at what they cost for large scale. [X(] Every thing for large scale is cost more other then fuel. LOL
Old 06-27-2011, 05:03 PM
bbuzzard

ORIGINAL: RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Redcatters won big at the PowerJam this weekend. Tell the track owner to get on board the train or its going to leave the station without him.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Sherv

USA races consist of Bajas and Redcats... go to Europe... When does a redcat win? ... FG, Harm, MCD V4, Hurrax, Elcon, and so on... Those win races. Now those companies have very expensive cars... Sure... But don't artificially hype up a low-end line. I know it is your business to sell them and you are being a Businessman... Which means your opinion is invalid. You can only pitch features. No matter what you say it will always be skewed due to a business stand point.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:37 AM
bbuzzard

So when's the last time you been to Europe, pal?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM
DarkFire989

That white Redcat buggy with the 5T wheels looks pretty sick. Me like.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:35 PM
mooman007uk

just my 3 cents here, not that it's worth anything to most on this thread but...you might want to take a looksie at the current standings in the UK for the 4wd class championship series...I'm not a troll though have been accused of it by a certain, to remain nameless, poster in this thread, hence my avatar, but the rc that's on top tight now and beating MCD race runners is, believe it or not, is the punisher, aka nutech tb2. However it's not in the 5-600 buck price range so the only rc that meets your budget right now is the redcat XB and from what i've seen of them so far they're pretty good value for the money, you do need decent servos and a pipe so you're 5-600 bones is gonna expand to 900 . but the nuey will need the same so it's a moot point speaking honestly, but of the 2, i'd say the nuey is the better rc out the box.
i would advise though against a 5b cos they're cack unless you have sand dunes near you to blast around on,they're 2wd and round atrack aint worth diddly unless all you race against are other 5b/t/sc's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.