Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/2 scale?

Old 07-13-2011, 05:28 PM
RRHobbyDepot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2 scale?

What would we need to get up to half scale? I know you'd need a field or gold course to drive one on. So far the largest vehicles I've seen are 1/4th scale. Hypothetically speaking what would be used to power something like that? Would we need two or more massive servos? Could we use off the shelf parts or would the entire thing need to be custom built? I'm just surprised that I haven't heard of anyone trying to go larger than 1/4th scale.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Default RE: 1/2 scale?

There's [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8964796/anchors_8964796/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#8964796]THIS[/link] guy.
He builds some pretty big cars.

[EDIT]

Forgot about [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10246463/tm.htm]THIS ONE[/link].

But yeah they're all custom made of course.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:57 PM
MadManAndrew

At half scale you're looking at something the size of a golf cart or side by side. Might as well just radio control a golf cart. It would actually be fairly simple.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:31 PM
RRHobbyDepot

Golf cart? Now there's an Idea!
Old 07-21-2011, 08:47 PM
MadManAndrew

Mhmm. If I had the money, I would do it just to show how easy it would be. They're literally the perfect candidates. Especially if you stripped it down to frame, you can install a larger motor (like a Honda dirtbike motor) without having to worry about leg room, and then have a car body made for it. It would most definitely be the coolest thing I've ever thought up.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Well that would be cool I suppose, but to me RC'ing something existing isn't the same as a purpose built a huge RC car.

People keep saying to me "Why don't you just RC a pocket quad?"
Because then, all I have is a pocket quad that moves by itself and still looks like a pocket quad.
Unless you make a body for it of course like that guy did with the Beetle body.

Still, not saying an RC golf cart wouldn't be awesome to see putting (pun intended) around on a golf course by itself.

Haha that would be a great practical joke.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:19 AM
MadManAndrew

My idea was to strip the golf cart body off so that you have a good frame and suspension to start with, then fab up steering amd brake controls, and even use the existing motor if you don't wamt it to be that fast, and then have a custom body made. Not to mention that the frame and suspension on golf carts is very customizable due to the simplicity. Really just a good base to start with. I do agree it would also be kinda cool to make a sort of "possesed" golf cart though.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 AM
RRHobbyDepot

I think the mythbusters could do it.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:33 AM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: RRHobbyDepot

I think the mythbusters could do it.
All thier crap is so ghetto rigged.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:52 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MadManAndrew

My idea was to strip the golf cart body off so that you have a good frame and suspension to start with, then fab up steering amd brake controls, and even use the existing motor if you don't wamt it to be that fast, and then have a custom body made. Not to mention that the frame and suspension on golf carts is very customizable due to the simplicity. Really just a good base to start with. I do agree it would also be kinda cool to make a sort of ''possesed'' golf cart though.
A group of people I knew up in Seattle were trying to start a golf cart based class. We won 4 in a storage unit auction and managed to get 3 working right and competitive, but some of us moved away and the idea was eventually scrapped. We just used some cheap 400w PWM controllers and used the boards from 1/4 scale servos to drive it them. They topped out at about 15-20mph without the bodies. I think 2 of them were EZ-GO, and the others were something else. Golf cart chassis are easy to work on and modify, everything is open, and the motor is built right in with the rear axle.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

"possesed" golf cart
I can see it now.
7:00 AM, second tee, just about to drive that ball down the fairway and a driverless black golfcart with smoke pouring out the back of it zips across the grass.