Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

can I weld on a 5b pipe that's mounted

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

can I weld on a 5b pipe that's mounted

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 03:54 PM
splcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can I weld on a 5b pipe that's mounted

I have a ddm v1 rear 5b pipe that doesn't line up at the bottom rear chassis plate bolt hole , what I want to do is weld an extention on the bracket with a new hole , with either a tig or mig
Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 AM
willclark77
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: can I weld on a 5b pipe that's mounted

Yes. I've done it. It's pretty thin and easy to burn through. Use the same technique you would if welding ona car body. If it's chrome plated you'll have to paint over it once finished to prevent rusting. Oh, be sure to put your ground on the pipe and not the chassis or engine. It would suck to arc through the bearings and weld them together!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:37 AM
ejweelin92
My Feedback: (1)

i would remove the pipe, since it is not all that hard, and would not want to risk melting or frying anything. just my 2 pennies
Old 08-08-2011, 01:55 PM
splcrazy

yeah that's my main worry that something might ark in the motor or bearings but yeah as long as it's earthed properly it shouldn't happen right .
Old 08-13-2011, 11:41 AM
pflynn73
My Feedback: (20)

DDM sells a carbon fiber bracket to mount DDM pipes. I am not sure if it would work in your case, but, you might want to check it out. It is called the Luna no melt brace and the part # is fd116 at $15.00 US. I am new to the Baja, but, have been researching a new pipe for mine and happened to see it.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:48 PM
mooman007uk

I've welded plenty of steel in place with a mig...as said ground the piece you're working on and you will be fine...if you're using a mig use .023 wire medium amps and wire speed and move quickly to prevent blowing holes....i can weld the vrc pipes that are 4140 and 1mm thick without blowing holes but you have to move pretty quick...if your amps and feed are too low then you can't move fast enough and you'll burn thru...too high amps and you'll do the same...best thing is set up the welder on a piece of scrap first
Old 08-13-2011, 05:02 PM
splcrazy

i decided to bolt the extension on , drill a hole in the bracket and put a bolt n nut , then the other end gets bolted to the chassis plate making it stronger . see the pic the hole is way off to the bolt , because im using the xport heatsink , this is one of ddm's blemished pipes i bought when they had the sale , i had a ddm pipe before that fit perfectly with the heatsink and braket lined up perfectly to the bolt hole on that one, but this time i dont know whats gone wrong
Old 08-13-2011, 07:38 PM
willclark77
My Feedback: (2)

It looks to be off about the thickness of the heat sink, like it was designed to be used without it.  I don't know though.  I do know you don't want that to be pulled tight there and holding pressure on the head.  Good way to break the ears off of the cylinder where it bolts to the crank case.  I broke the mount off of a dom pipe where it's welded on.  It actually pulled out of the pipe around the weld.  I had no way to hold the mount in the correct spot or keep it from pulling while the welds cooled, so I did it while on the car.  I just made sure it was grounded VERY well on the tip of the pipe and did a bunch of spot welds till seamless.  It was pretty easy with a mig on gas.  I never use flux core.  Sounds like you have it figured out though.  Good luck.