Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Is a redcat xt as good and durable as an hpi baja 5b

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Is a redcat xt as good and durable as an hpi baja 5b

Old 08-24-2011, 04:03 PM
maq1919
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a redcat xt as good and durable as an hpi baja 5b

I'm thinking about getting a redcat monster truck.. The redcat xt. I want to know if it is comparable to the baja. Thanks
Old 08-24-2011, 05:36 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Is a redcat xt as good and durable as an hpi baja 5b

its to different to really compare the 2.
the rampage is 4wd.
i had a baja, and raced a rampage once...i got owned.
the 4wd, lighter chassis means much better handling.
rcuniverse has a review of the XT.
plus, it dont hurt that the rampage is less than an HPI baja.

do you want a 4wd truck, or a 2wd buggy? both are durable and well built IMO.
as RCU mentions, the rampages's steering servo could be stronger and the shocks need stiffer springs or higher weight oil but otherwise its ready for fun.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 PM
whayden2003
My Feedback: (1)

All I can tell u is we just got done with a two hour long bash-a-thon with the redcat XSC two of them. We quit cause we got tried not cause something broke.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 PM
splcrazy

i think its about the same , i want to get a xt next year , i just hope the servos in them are of good quality , and i hope the support for parts and finding parts is as easy as the 5b , i would want better shock supports on them like the hd turtle encapuslated support he makes for the 5b . i just love the size of the
Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Sherv

Well with a 4wd vehicle you have 3 points of failures on the drive train like front/center/rear diffs but with the rwd you just have a rear diff. All I know is that the Baja is a ***** to work on when something breaks... While a 4wd model may have more parts to deal with it is generally a much more open/friendlier layout compared to the Baja.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:33 AM
Obeast44

ORIGINAL: Sherv

Well with a 4wd vehicle you have 3 points of failures on the drive train like front/center/rear diffs but with the rwd you just have a rear diff. All I know is that the Baja is a ***** to work on when something breaks... While a 4wd model may have more parts to deal with it is generally a much more open/friendlier layout compared to the Baja.
I never thought id say this man, but I agree with you. LOL
Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 PM
rob64n

I believe sherv is becoming a nice guy............
Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Sherv

Give me a break. Theres no point in talking about the weaknesses in a sub 650 dollar 1/5th scale. Because you shouldn't expect much in the first place bahahahahaha
I heard the Hurrax Zynit will be able to enter the races against the redcats next year. I'll be there with my zynit!
But back on topic the XT/XB certainly seem to be a good step up/in the right direction from the Rampage MT/TT/DuneRunner. As for the baja, I played with 338Lapua's Baja 5b and while it was a lot of fun, it was certainly a bash/dunebuggy only platform. If you want to consider racing at any point I would rather go with the XT/XB line even though they are on the bottom end of 4wd racers. That 4wd drivetrain alone is a huge advantage over the 5b. A 4wd vehicle generally needs more maintenance than a rwd only IMO. Depends on what setup you have too but generally given the fact you have 3 diffs you need to watch out for. Also with 4wd model it takes more time to tune IMO since you need to test different oils to get the right ratio of power to the front/rear.
But one thing in the Bajas favor is the huge aftermarket part selection and the fact that daves Deal of the Day allows you to hop up your Baja on an almost weekly basis for decent price. I mean were talking almost 2-3 exhaust deals a month, 2-3 gear plate deals, shock tower deals, chassis deals, and so on all for the baja... Makes me jealous of baja owners.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 PM
rob64n

with Redcat you won't have to worry about diff oil in the center since it is a solid shaft.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Sherv

I thought the xb had the same diff in the front, rear, and center which is oil filled?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apples to oranges. They look the same but put 50 miles on each and tell me which one is still running fine.

The HPI hands down. Frankly HPI should fire their patent attorneys for not protecting that design better.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 PM
rob64n

nope only front and rear are oil filled...
Old 08-30-2011, 06:40 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've worked with basically every 1/5 scale vehicle out there, including Redcat, HPI, MCD, FG, And tons of smaller makers. You get what you pay for.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:50 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sheograth

I've worked with basically every 1/5 scale vehicle out there, including Redcat, HPI, MCD, FG, And tons of smaller makers. You get what you pay for.
True, but I will stake my rep on my XB as being a great entry level 5th scale buggy. And guess what, it ain't a clone so we should be able to race it everywhere. Don't get me wrong cause I really love my FG's but getting parts is starting to be a pain for specific spares.

Now my only real gripe is the tank size...this has be noted though

Old 08-30-2011, 06:50 PM
rob64n

do they pay you to say that?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:51 PM
bbuzzard

Old 08-30-2011, 06:52 PM
rob64n

sorry that was for sheo
Old 08-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Sherv

I dont understand you redcat fanboys. You honestly think what Sheo said is marketing? He is right... Generally the more you pay in this hobby the better the quality. You honestly cant deny that the redcat is a low end 1/5th scale. It can't even be paired in the same group as MCD, FG, HARM, Lauterbach, Hurrax, Kamitiro, Contrast, and so on. It is in the Smartech, Nutech, Rovan, KM, FS, ShengQi, SY, and CEN group and in that group its definitely one of the better options.
However after thinking about it I would go with the Baja if I were you simply because of the parts available, customization options, and Deal of the Day at Daves.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:36 PM
bbuzzard

I dont understand you redcat fanboys. You honestly think what Sheo said is marketing? He is right... Generally the more you pay in this hobby the better the quality. You honestly cant deny that the redcat is a low end 1/5th scale. It can't even be paired in the same group as MCD, FG, HARM, Lauterbach, Hurrax, Kamitiro, Contrast, and so on. It is in the Smartech, Nutech, Rovan, KM, FS, ShengQi, SY, and CEN group and in that group its definitely one of the better options.
However after thinking about it I would go with the Baja if I were you simply because of the parts available, customization options, and Deal of the Day at Daves.
Man, shut up and race me...

Old 08-31-2011, 04:59 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Go to the Red Cat forums and see what others say. The XB and XT can be great if they work out a few issue. They have only been out since first of the year so this is to be expected.

Wheel bearings too small and wear out quickly. Cure replace with 7975 RC hubs.
Servos are poor particularly the throttle, brake. Cure install better servos.
CVD cups breaking. No cure at this time.
Carburetors on the HY 30 many or many not be trouble free. Cure install Walbro carb.
Air filter not good for dusty conditions. Cure install HPI baja filter.
Rear diff bearings on input shaft going bad and melting diff case.
Tire foam inserts break down quickly. Cure install conversion hubs for HPI baja wheels and tires.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:16 AM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: 46u

Go to the Red Cat forums and see what others say. The XB and XT can be great if they work out a few issue. They have only been out since first of the year so this is to be expected.

Wheel bearings too small and wear out quickly. Cure replace with 7975 RC hubs.
Servos are poor particularly the throttle, brake. Cure install better servos.
CVD cups breaking. No cure at this time.
Carburetors on the HY 30 many or many not be trouble free. Cure install Walbro carb.
Air filter not good for dusty conditions. Cure install HPI baja filter.
Rear diff bearings on input shaft going bad and melting diff case.
Tire foam inserts break down quickly. Cure install conversion hubs for HPI baja wheels and tires.
Some of these problems were big problems on the MT/TT as well. I'm surprised that those failure points weren't the first areas that they looked to improve on with these new models.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:12 PM
rob64n

then what's hpi's excuse? awful lot of upgrades if the car is so perfect, every car has an issue they are all gonna break. who cares how much they cost. why should the cost be a detour of who should buy what? If you don't like a low cost car don't buy it, but don't be hatin when a low end car blows by your high end caron the track........................ If you race and can't finish because of a certain part won't hold up, then complain to the factory. if you are just a basher, then bash on your car, and not on here about others cars........
Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Shabbernigdo

ORIGINAL: rob64n

then what's hpi's excuse? awful lot of upgrades if the car is so perfect, every car has an issue they are all gonna break. who cares how much they cost. why should the cost be a detour of who should buy what? If you don't like a low cost car don't buy it, but don't be hatin when a low end car blows by your high end caron the track........................ If you race and can't finish because of a certain part won't hold up, then complain to the factory. if you are just a basher, then bash on your car, and not on here about others cars........
the only thing i have ever had to replace on my baja because it broke was the front tower after i ate a curb at full throttle.
other then that i just buy upgrades because i like new shineys.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Obeast44

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

Man, shut up and race me...[img][/img]

Hey Bbuzz, he won't and you know it. He will sit behind the computer and talk trash all day and never back it up.

@Sherv As far as you buying a Zynit, I will believe that when I see it. All I see from you its lots of talk with absolutely ZERO actions to back your mouth up. Its simple, put up or SHUT UP. I will gladly make the 10hr drive to Virginia to put that Shervtech , FG MT, MCD, Zynit , nitro or whatever else you plan on buying between now and then in its place. That is if Buzz doesn't handle you first.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 PM
noyb98098

LMAO!!!

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

Man, shut up and race me...[img][/img]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.