Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

HPI 4WD Baja 5SC. SAY WHAT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Obeast44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HPI 4WD Baja 5SC. SAY WHAT?

I will just say these few things. I think Losi has done a very good job in the design of the 5ive, it does look very nice indeed! Im wary of the HPI because it will probably just be an extended Savage or something similar. As far as Gas vs Brushless....most of you know where I stand. Brushless power is undeniable.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:40 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Losiracer4life

The new HPI is going to be an electric 1/5th I'm assuming with the flux logo on the hood like I previously stated.
You cannot go by HPI teaser pictures. HPI teaser picture for the 1/8 scale gaser was a blacked out Savage with a nitro engine. Does any on know for sure it is going to be electric or is this just speculation?

I am from the old school and to me electric just has no soul.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:55 PM
swheels
My Feedback: (2)

Electrics are for people who have no engine tuning skills.LOL I just bought my veryfirst lipo/reciever pack.Well i read the instruction and it scared the crap out of me! Always charge in a metal case,never leave un-attended when charging.Plus the company through in a disclaimer,left me scratchin my head thinking did i make the right decision????? Oh god i hope that new HPI 5thisn't electric!LOL
Old 09-10-2011, 03:06 PM
mooman007uk

hpi already have an extended savage thing under a 5t body with a nitro engine!!! sold in europe and japan...maybe they're just going to stuff a elec motor in that...with their track record for laziness regarding designing new stuff the odds are that'swhat it'll be
Old 09-10-2011, 05:18 PM
splcrazy

lol yeah and if they make it electric , i wonder if people are going to convert it from electric to GAS ?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:26 PM
WarCowboy

If HPI brings this new 1/5 scale as an electric, it would be marketing suicide.
Sure you would have a select few that would go through with buying one, but once they realized the amount of money required to buy expensive lipo's and a changer that could handle cycling a full set large enough for a B5 simultaneously, it would most likely make a complete reset in E-heads minds in just "how awesome" an over sized flux really isn't.
Its not practical enough yet for the average buyer to consider something of that magnitude of electric requirements, as the gasser's them selves are almost unreachable in start up budgets.

The economy is thin these days and the hobby markets them selves are suffering widely, as much or more than many non-commodity items have within such industry.
Granted there are still quite a bit of people willing to forgo their mortgage to afford their hobbies, but a lot more that are not these days.
Within my statements I also concur on the matter of this short course craze in reference to companies non collaboration of scale sizes, drive types and power plants.
It doesn't take a wise man to know that hobby shops, clubs and tracks are suffering these days because of dollar devaluation, but it does take an experienced person to realize that without consistent modulation within like minded groups they tend to scatter and lose interest permanently.
Conglomerate types of the hobby are fine, but if nothing ever becomes a standard within it's genre, the possibility of lengthening a "set in stone" market would be ludicrous to aftermarket companies and qualified race series platforms.
The industry has gone ape s@#$ with "look at what we made first eye candy" garbage, and forgot old school union-ship of one common interest, that inherently bores more market interest for lasting future frequenters.

So what do we have now?
1/10 electric 2wd
1/8 electric 4w4
1/8 Nitro 4wd
1/5 gas 2wd
1/5 gas 4wd
And I probably missed a couple minus the micros, Ridiculous!

You'd think corporate CEO's would realize that ol faithful teaming has always yielded the best results throughout long term industry.
I'm only 29 and I can honestly say the wholesomeness of the RC group isn't nothing like what it used to be when I was a kid. Its a real shame.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mr Cowboy, while I share some of your sentiments, you can't be serious if you think a 1/5th electric is going to fail.

Many people, myself included, have been die hard nitroers and gassers for many years, but now I'm (ahem) getting old, I can't be bothered to go miles out of the city to run something (my FG can be heard over a mile away), can't be bothered mixing fuel, and in the case of nitro, can't be bothered to retune the engine everytime the weather changes, and lets be honest, electric performance simply destroys combustion engines these days.

As I said on the previous page, if HPI can 'Flux up' the 1/5th market like they fluxed up the MT market, they cannot fail. The Savage Flux is one of the best all round RCs in existence at the moment, and makes it's nitro brethren look positively sluggish, even with $700 engines in them.

I would jump on a 1/5th electric in a heartbeat.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:49 AM
nitrohead5300

Until you have a melt down and have to replace all those electrical components. Lipo battery packs, speed controlers and brushless motors are quite expensive to replace after a meltdown.[] My friend had a Baja he converted to electric. He got tired of replacing the electrical components all the time and got rid of it. He said he would never buy another 1/5 scale electric.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 AM
mooman007uk

Mr Cowboy, while I share some of your sentiments, you can't be serious if you think a 1/5th electric is going to fail.
i think he's notonly serious but correct...of the 10 people i know with 1/5th who have come to my track, 1 is for elec like you (though still has gassers) and the other 9 wouldn't touch them with a bargepole myself included.
down the road there is a 10th/ 8th outdoor track that is mostly nitro apart from the sc 10th series that is mostly slash and sc10...apparently the hpi blitz is crap in comparison...they get 50-100 at events and hardly anyone here has a flux...most move up from elec to nitro (unfortunately none seem to move to 1/5th)

i agree in that a 1/5th elec 4wd is hardly going to sell especially in this part of the world regardless of who makes it...you'll have a few fanatics buy em and that will be it.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 AM
millzee

Let's face it, it's cheaper for a company to bring out a gasser than it is electric, I'm sure if I was paying the bills, I'd produce gassers and then offer the parts for the conversion too, they'd make more money that way.  For the guy's (myself included) who love converting nitro trucks, it's more about the customisation on how we as inderviduals build our trucks, keep's the coin flowing.  I'm buying a gasser and am in two minds of converting, I have a 2028 ready but I like the idea of the cheap and hassle free running with the petrol, on the other hand, I only converted my first nitro (XXL) due to people complaing about the noise and I soon fell in love with electric.  Without rambling on too much more, I think the companies should continue doing what they do and leave it up to us, the consumer to do with them what we wish.  More rollers would be nice.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:33 PM
WarCowboy

I can respect that, millzee.
I agree that chassis should be more universal and able to adapt to one or the other with a kit. Its just when one is built for electric, there is really no converting it to fuel.

And to others who disagree with my opinions, you cannot argue the price differences that I am stating. I have always known electric is more powerful, cleaner, ext.
But in this day, while it is getting more reasonable and performance has jumped phenomenally, its simply not as affordable as gas for something this scale.
And until a perpetual motion generator has been proven and shrunk considerably, you can forget the idea that electric will be the way of the RC future in dominance.
Electricity after all needs fuel to be generated. So yeah, nice try.
I am not one of those who jumps the band wagon to say its completely boring, cause if I owned an RC company, there would already be sound systems created to sound completely scale with a simple on off switch all synced to the ESC.
The idea has been around and produced for a long time, from companies such as RAM. But the results are modest at best.

Here are a couple attempts I found on youtube

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ALe4KJNFz4&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93_6OR-cWH8[/youtube]

Now if they will just get them to sound like this>

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMkMwdvY7oc&feature=mh_lolz&list=FLBovEN8npaL-gcKxZdrr7Qw[/youtube]

With new sound devices coming out these days that don't require heavy magnets, such as plasma technology and LRAD, there eventually will be a consumer market for such devices and thus compliance with RC.

There could also be plug and play micro chips incorporated into the race series tracks, so incorporated with transponders.
A track owner could buy a simply 7 channel surround sound setup and wire a series of speakers in circumference of the track so as to sound loudest within the area of relevance to individual vehicles. Other than the initial programming, this setup would be quite simple to work with and would yield IMO a stronger interest in scale and electric racing.
One could take the technology a step further and have a head set unit a single person could wear that could also work loud and quiet in relevant distance.
The possibilities are endless. Sorry that was so off track.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

i think he's notonly serious but correct...of the 10 people i know with 1/5th who have come to my track, 1 is for elec like you (though still has gassers) and the other 9 wouldn't touch them with a bargepole myself included.
down the road there is a 10th/ 8th outdoor track that is mostly nitro apart from the sc 10th series that is mostly slash and sc10...apparently the hpi blitz is crap in comparison...they get 50-100 at events and hardly anyone here has a flux...most move up from elec to nitro (unfortunately none seem to move to 1/5th)

i agree in that a 1/5th elec 4wd is hardly going to sell especially in this part of the world regardless of who makes it...you'll have a few fanatics buy em and that will be it.
I think you are making a big mistake. How many of the HPI Baja 5bs that were sold do you think went to existing gasser owners? One tenth? Less? When HPI makes and markets something, the luddites who 'wouldn't touch one with a bargepole' really don't feature in the target demographic. I think you'll be surprised how many will come out of the woodwork because its hpi and they can run it in the street (you can't run gassers in the street, not in cities anyway). If they make this, it will be huge, mark my words.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:11 PM
WarCowboy

Alright, for one I am not making any mistake. I am not the deciding factor here by any means, rather just a collective opinion of mine.
Also, Why in heck would you want a 1/5 scale desert truck to run in the street? Isn't on road cars more appealing to that setting?

You are still looking past the money involved my friend. I don't care what you say, I have looked at all the prices for electric cost with this scale in mind and you will not touch a decent setup without another considerable pile of money invested, much less the fact that's just for one set of batteries and a charger that can handle that sort of load vs here in the states $3.35 a gallon and some two stroke oil that will run you time and time again.

Another thing people have been overlooking with these gas engines is methanol injection. While the market hasn't hit the small engine scene yet, methanol has some outstanding characteristics of allowing a standard pump gas to go from 92 octane to 118, thus allowing much higher compression without detonation, decreased temperatures and extended engine life with it's self cleaning characteristics.
There would be a huge increase in power-band without anything special needed past some windshield wiper fluid @ 2.75 a gallon.
So the performance still has a lot to be researched into with gassers in mind to totally throw out the idea of performance per dollar here.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: WarCowboy

Alright, for one I am not making any mistake. I am not the deciding factor here by any means, rather just a collective opinion of mine.
Also, Why in heck would you want a 1/5 scale desert truck to run in the street? Isn't on road cars more appealing to that setting?

You are still looking past the money involved my friend. I don't care what you say, I have looked at all the prices for electric cost with this scale in mind and you will not touch a decent setup without another considerable pile of money invested, much less the fact that's just for one set of batteries and a charger that can handle that sort of load vs here in the states $3.35 a gallon and some two stroke oil that will run you time and time again.

Another thing people have been overlooking with these gas engines is methanol injection. While the market hasn't hit the small engine scene yet, methanol has some outstanding characteristics of allowing a standard pump gas to go from 92 octane to 118, thus allowing much higher compression without detonation, decreased temperatures and extended engine life with it's self cleaning characteristics.
There would be a huge increase in power-band without anything special needed past some windshield wiper fluid @ 2.75 a gallon.
So the performance still has a lot to be researched into with gassers in mind to totally throw out the idea of performance per dollar here.
I put $3k in my 5b and while I made it very strong, it was still an average performer. I don't think money is going to be a deciding factor here. I already have all the charging equipment I need, batteries are cheap from China.

I'll agree to disagree, time will tell.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:12 PM
mooman007uk

money is the deciding factor for the masses at the moment, the most sold this side of the pond inthe last few months is the xt/xb redcat...why? cos it costs $600 rtr and 4wd, gas it up and off you go, whilst not the highest quality it's good for the money and doesn't seem to be falling apart like an SY, or blaze etc.
no doubt the hpi will be in every rc store like the 5b was but over here i don't think it'll sell...we still have V8's en masse and all the toys here are gas from dirt bikes,quads, boats etc (even our guns are internal combustion) electric is going to be a hard sell on this side of the pond for sure...i can't comment on Europe as i don't live there any more.

guess we'll find out what's in store soon enough and see if they 1. are electric 2. sell well
Old 09-13-2011, 11:50 AM
biggups

It is good marketing by hpi. Give just a little taste to force potential losi 5 buyers to wait and see what hpi has waiting. 
Old 09-13-2011, 12:21 PM
kg2mb

What moo said x2...I love the sound and power of a gas cars,especially with a 2 speed trans shifting away
So anyone else get a glimpse if this new car?pics?

Makes me wonder if AE will make a 5th scale car,drivetrain setup like the mgt..
Old 09-14-2011, 06:27 PM
46u

Video at Hostile Baja fest this past weekend. You have to watch a damn commercial first. Electric just has no soul.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17186053
Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 46u

Video at Hostile Baja fest this past weekend. You have to watch a damn commercial first. Electric just has no soul.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17186053
True..so, I guess the idea is that we should be buying electric largescales to add another race class in the smallest race scene (compared to nitro) here in North America? Hmmmm...

Old 09-14-2011, 11:59 PM
millzee

that video makes me glad I've ordered the losi, the hpi just doesn't run the track as well as the losi.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:52 AM
46u

This is just a proto model and John who was driving it is use to gas. What will keep me from buying one is it is electric.

But I have heard through the grape vines something big is coming out for the HPI gas baja.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:21 AM
kg2mb

Its actually runs decent,i meen it is fast,good xcelleration for something that big is great...However,the initial cost of batteries(you need two rite?)
And a charger capable of charging both all day,would deter me from buying it...Plus
if one lipo decides to go thermonuclear...that batt wont be the only thing that will be toast,there goes car$and electronics
and who knows what else it takes cause the rx could be damaged.On a gasser if the throttle servo craps out,as long as you put a return spring
on(you guys do run with a return spring just in case rite?)it just idles.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:34 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: kg2mb

as long as you put a return spring
on(you guys do run with a return spring just in case rite?)it just idles.
No but I have a remote kill switch. If any thing happens like lost single, RX or TX battery gives out, it will kill the motor or I can hit a button on my TX and kill it any time. Will not run with out one as a 25 to 35 or more pound RC vehicle during a run away is a BIG liability not even counting the damage to your RC vehicle.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:26 AM
mooman007uk

how boring can you get, i'm afraid without the noise there is something very much lacking...just not the same

ORIGINAL: 46u

This is just a proto model and John who was driving it is use to gas. What will keep me from buying one is it is electric.

But I have heard through the grape vines something big is coming out for the HPI gas baja.
how many more times can you flog a dead horse?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:52 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

how many more times can you flog a dead horse?
As many times as I wish!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.