Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

HPI 4WD Baja 5SC. SAY WHAT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:31 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HPI 4WD Baja 5SC. SAY WHAT?

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

i(once they figure how to separate the H atom efficiently from H2O)...driving electric motors at the wheels.
Looks to me it is a electric vehicle. Trains have diesel engines but what makes the train move? Electric motors. Does not matter where you get the electricity as in the end they are driven by electric motors.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:57 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: 46u

ORIGINAL: Foxy

You can discuss this all day long but it boils down to personal preference. Foxy did you watch the videos I posted in my above post?
Yeh I did, it looks impressive. As I say, the only question for me is runtime.
If you have not done it check out the video I just posted. This guy drive to the track races and drives home. He does plug in between rounds. Yes electric has not gotten where it is good for long distances yet but on the drag strip is top dog in the street class.
Not in my area! [:-]
the cars around here would tear it apart one after another, and we are at 5200ft!
I'm not one of those, believe every thing I see or hear on the net, not even close..
I have yet to see an electric car hit the NHRA ??? [:-] and this car is the ONLY ONE I keep seeing floating around when arguments about gas vs electic or nitro vs electric, to try and make some claim that electric is better.. By whos standard???
wave of the future??? no I don't believe this for one second because it's not for me in 1:1... I want a V12 car next, and the sound of that motor, I don't need a radio
still today my favorite truck is my Losi 8ight-T... I just love the smell and sound of Nitro, and I love to tune
my Brushless Revo is cool and can do well over 60mph, but for me I could care less cuz on the track my Losi is faster every time and for me more fun to bash, and I have so much less into my Losi vs my Revo
and I always have more fun with Nitro for some reason...
it's all personal preference and not one on these forums can demand one is better than the other.. these are toys and some cost more than others [:-]
I would love to see a brushless 5th scale as I think that could be fun next to my GP290 Baja 5B
one of each! YEAH!!

these are toys, lets keep that in mind, and have fun...
Old 09-17-2011, 06:54 AM
46u

I am from the old school and prefer combustible engine vehicles to elective but we have to face the fact that electric is coming in a big way.

If I am not mistake the NHRA does not allow eclectic so this might be why you do not see them at NHRA races. Do a search and you will see A LOT of information about eclectic race cars and motorcycles not just the one I posted above. I agree you cannot beleive everything you see on the net but when you do enough research you should be able to come to a intelligent conclusion. How many electric cars race at you local track? We are talking about street legal cars and not drag only. Do a Google search and you will see there are MANY electric cars drag racing. The even have their own drag racing association. Not so long ago you did not see much as far as electric RC racing and now it is about to surpass all other forms of RC racing.
http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl...iw=800&bih=491
Old 09-17-2011, 07:28 AM
srt10

Meaning you don't see gas vs electric in NHRA and we probably never will!
I already know they are making a scene at the drag strip (google not required for me) and this I believe is more RnD for street use than drag racing (motors, batteries, etc. and that's a good thing)
they may start a new class in NHRA but it wont be anytime soon...
they even have a Electric AMA/GP style race bike that is pretty cool, and they are trying to market to start a new electric AMA/GP style race class, and very cool battery swap vs fuel fill up in the pits... costs a lot of money vs gas though
Wow, ok back to a sweet RC from HPI [:-]
Old 09-17-2011, 07:41 AM
mooman007uk

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

i(once they figure how to separate the H atom efficiently from H2O)...driving electric motors at the wheels.
Looks to me it is a electric vehicle. Trains have diesel engines but what makes the train move? Electric motors. Does not matter where you get the electricity as in the end they are driven by electric motors.

at least it makes a proper noise

here's the old savage 5t, RIP, it didn't last long because it was garbage, so there is probably a few container loads of parts waiting for another HPI rebadge... it'll be interesting to see if the new car shares any of these components. i very much doubt it but....
when exactly is this new truck to be released, anyone know?

Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: srt10

Meaning you don't see gas vs electric in NHRA and we probably never will!
I already know they are making a scene at the drag strip (google not required for me) and this I believe is more RnD for street use than drag racing (motors, batteries, etc. and that's a good thing)
they may start a new class in NHRA but it wont be anytime soon...
they even have a Electric AMA/GP style race bike that is pretty cool, and they are trying to market to start a new electric AMA/GP style race class, and very cool battery swap vs fuel fill up in the pits... costs a lot of money vs gas though
Wow, ok back to a sweet RC from HPI [:-]

Here is a drag electric motorcycle.
http://www.killacycle.com/
Yes like anything new right now electric is more expensive then gas on street legal drag racing cars pretty much so even in RC electric racing. Many of the drag electric cars do not change batteries they just plug them in between rounds. Most street legal electric drag cars are drove to the track and home.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:49 AM
srt10

anyone have any idea or thoughts of what system this new truck will have [:-]
Old 09-17-2011, 08:53 AM
46u

You mean as far as speed controller and motor? I have no idea.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:57 AM
srt10

who wants to take a shot at what will power this new truck.....
Old 09-17-2011, 09:01 AM
46u

who wants to take a shot at what will power this new truck.....
I do not know enough about electric to even make a guess.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll take a guess and say this... http://www.castlecreations.com/products/mamba_xl.html

With this... http://www.castlecreations.com/products/2028_motor.html

That motor can take 10S, so I wonder if there'll be a version of the ESC that can take 10s made just for HPI. They've shown their willingness to allow for craziness in the Savage Flux HP, 6s capable, it's a madman out of the box. Sure would make this car expensive tho. reckon on $800 of the price being for the electrics. Should go like stink though, even on 8s.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:39 AM
srt10

I'll take a guess and say this... http://www.castlecreations.com/products/mamba_xl.html

That motor can take 10S, so I wonder if there'll be a version of the ESC that can take 10s made just for HPI. They've shown their willingness to allow for craziness in the Savage Flux HP, 6s capable, it's a madman out of the box. Sure would make this car expensive tho. reckon on $800 of the price being for the electrics. Should go like stink though, even on 8s.
yeah we use that motor in our big FE Boats and they rock on 10s!
Old 09-17-2011, 01:18 PM
savagecommander

personally i think 4x4 would be a bit much for that esc. they'd have to post gearing bulletins for all the speed hogs. ive seen the XL draw 275 amps on a peak, geared just short of sixty on pavement.those kind of amp draws with only two tires biting i can imagine the 4x4 spikes. picking it up to 10s would drop the amps a bit, but id see it in the 200's for top speed runs and probably over 7,500 watts( i wouldnt be surprised to see 8K)
Old 09-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Obeast44

That is what I initially thought it had in it as well Foxy, but after seeing the video I think its something else entirely. It was too slow IMO to be running the 2028/XL8s configuration. It may be just a mamba monster on 6s with a super low KV motor.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Castle esc's have a distinctive sound while braking, and the MMM makes a similar sound as the MMXL but with a different frequency and tone. From what I heard in the vid it was definitely MMM powered, probably with a 15 series motor with a lower Kv and or a longer can than the 1515 2200kv being used in the flux now. But that all depends on the gear ratios in the new chassis. Which I just read on another forum from someone who supposedly got to drive one, might be more buggy based (like the xb-e) than savage based.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:07 PM
srt10

I sure hope its not a HPI version of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nmgs...&feature=feedu
Old 09-17-2011, 06:52 PM
srt10

I think a 4074 1200-1500kv motor on 6s could push this pretty well?? [:-]
Old 09-18-2011, 05:38 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Ooooh, nice. This should be excellent for people like me who want one to just screw around in their yard. I just hope to god that FLUX logo was put there by marketing, if it's electric I want no more to do with it than I would a New Bright.

Let's have a quick recap what the Savage Flux did for the nitro Savage. It slaughtered it. In every conceivable department. I don't care if you're one of those people that says 'it's the sound and the smell', the Flux trounced its nitro brethren and left them shivering in its wake.

lolwut? Slaughtered it? In what way, exactly? Technical specs? Boring old uncontrollableness?

Sorry. It didn't slaughter anything. Hate to burst your bubble, but the Savage Flux interests me no more than that $20 New Bright in Walmart's toy department. I won't even give it a second glance, the only attention I'll pay it is to move the box out of the way of the nitro Savage behind it on the shelf.

The Flux may be faster, but you know what? I don't care! It's not exciting enough. Need I remind you that this hobby isn't about what's cost-effective or what's technically better, it's about what puts a bigger smile on the driver's face, and for maaaany people electrics are boring. Myself included. I think toy when I see electric regardless of what you or anyone else may think of it and regardless of whatever technical prowess it can come up with.

Jeremy Clarkson sums up my thoughts nicely if you'll pretend the Audi is an electric RC and the Corvette is a nitro.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4CPBfpnye0[/youtube]

The electric may be technically better, but it's not fun or exciting enough to waste my money on. I'd rather have the 'worse' one.

Oddly enough, I'd also take a ZR1 over an Audi R8, but that's another thread entirely.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:52 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: 378

Ooooh, nice. This should be excellent for people like me who want one to just screw around in their yard. I just hope to god that FLUX logo was put there by marketing, if it's electric I want no more to do with it than I would a New Bright.

Let's have a quick recap what the Savage Flux did for the nitro Savage. It slaughtered it. In every conceivable department. I don't care if you're one of those people that says 'it's the sound and the smell', the Flux trounced its nitro brethren and left them shivering in its wake.

lolwut? Slaughtered it? In what way, exactly? Technical specs? Boring old uncontrollableness?

Sorry. It didn't slaughter anything. Hate to burst your bubble, but the Savage Flux interests me no more than that $20 New Bright in Walmart's toy department. I won't even give it a second glance, the only attention I'll pay it is to move the box out of the way of the nitro Savage behind it on the shelf.

The Flux may be faster, but you know what? I don't care! It's not exciting enough. Need I remind you that this hobby isn't about what's cost-effective or what's technically better, it's about what puts a bigger smile on the driver's face, and for maaaany people electrics are boring. Myself included. I think toy when I see electric regardless of what you or anyone else may think of it and regardless of whatever technical prowess it can come up with.

Jeremy Clarkson sums up my thoughts nicely if you'll pretend the Audi is an electric RC and the Corvette is a nitro.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4CPBfpnye0[/youtube]

The electric may be technically better, but it's not fun or exciting enough to waste my money on. I'd rather have the 'worse' one.

Oddly enough, I'd also take a ZR1 over an Audi R8, but that's another thread entirely.
Bingo!
I still cannot fiqure out why some say one is superior than the other when in fact they still sell both [:-]
each has it's place and each are fun in there own way.. I still have fun with my nitro over brushless trucks most any day..
Old 09-18-2011, 07:33 AM
huw4027

Personally i feel 1/5 scales should be Gassers and not electric.
HPI has to come extremely good to compete with the Losi 5t because it looks real good and
Losi has a reputation of making solid vehicles....just my 2 cents. [8D]
Old 09-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: 378

Burst my bubble? lol, calm down. The Savage Flux puts a bigger smile on my face than either of my nitro savages ever did. Believe it or not, your opinion is no more valid than mine. How many nitro savages have you owned? How many electric ones? How many gassers?

Chill dude, we can talk about it, but only if you're gonna treat people with respect. Burst my bubble....lol......

Old 09-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

After owning a nitro, gas, and electric MT (MMGT3.0/Revo/Nutech MT/savage flux) I found the nitro/gas MTs more fun. Nitro and Gas also had more weight to them and seemed to go faster in the grass compared to my flux but the flux was way faster on dirt/asphalt. The savage was also boring after a while especially since I had to carry around so many batteries. However after driving an associated RC10GT and owning an RC10T4 Factory Team kit with Castle BL/ESC... I LOVED the BL version a lot more. The weight and how balanced it was... and how quickly it would come out of the corners.

Electric for racing.... Nitro/Gas for bashing/fun. Thats my experience.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:04 AM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

Electric vs Gas.

Yawn.

People need to buy what they like and stop trying to tell the world their choice is the best.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:15 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: Croozer

Electric vs Gas.

Yawn.

People need to buy what they like and stop trying to tell the world their choice is the best.
This a discussion forum and that is what we are doing. Yes I agree run what makes you happy.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Croozer

Electric vs Gas.

Yawn.

You're missing the point, this isn't the same thing as it is in the smaller scale forums, we're talking about emerging technologies for large scale in the electric market, which make the debate worthwhile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.