Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Official Losi 26cc 5IVE-T Thread

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Official Losi 26cc 5IVE-T Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:40 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Losi 26cc 5IVE-T Thread

should make for a very cool race season coming up!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I like plastic over alloy except in limited necessary places. Plastic is lighter and flexes where alloy does not. I went through the whole alloy thing MANY ears ago and got over it.

I think some are going to be eating there words as most will be amazed what HPI will be putting out in the next couple of years.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:55 AM
elven wizard

Team Associated SC8 and Losi 5ive - T Rollcage

SC8 Rollcage

Losi 5ive -T Rollcage

Similiarities between the two short course trucks.

Losi took the roll cage idea a step further by being able to take off individual panels when they need to be replaced. A 4 piece body. As stated on the Losi site. I like this idea. This will save tons of money instead of replacing whole body's. The Losi rollcage extends all the way to the back in full form even including the mud flaps. I think this will strengthen the truck's integrity even more. One thing I do like on the SC8 is the inner guard behind the front wheels is a one piece deal. Team Associated cleverly design it so that there is a gap to allow enough air to get thru to the engine. I think it would keep the dirt out better than just Losi's 2 piece square's, but I think Losi bypass this idea to get as much air going back to the engine. A possible inner net ( maybe a stocking or some fine holed material that is tough that lets air go thru ) might be a good idea, as long as air cooling gets thru. ( Albiet an air cooled engine doesn't need as much cooling as a nitro engine ) when the 5ive-T is running and the front wheels are turning ( or locked & turning ) the grud can come into the inner tray. A custom cut square net glued on the inside of the rollcage going across one square dirt guard to the other will as much as possible keep the dirt out. Mud, grit, and chunks of whatever going onto the inside chassis. At least it will keep big stuff out.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:19 PM
WarCowboy

I disagree that it will save money by having panel body parts.
Realistically, when I want to change the shell I don't want to fool with more pins. The panels them selves will most likely be more for the whole set than a one piece design would be in comparison.
If you buy individual parts its common since to up the price tag a bit on each.
It only insures that you will be buying new panels and then figuring out how the new piece has made the rest of the body look ghetto all of a sudden. Not to mention I will be highly surprised if the shell will last as long as a one piece would, do to loss of dexterity and rigidness found in a single piece mold.
Sounds more like a marketing ploy than an aesthetic performance necessity.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:55 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a good marketing ploy, that's for sure.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:06 PM
elven wizard

I do agree with you on one new piece could make the rest of the panels look not so good. Since the panels are protected by a underlining rollcage the wear will be minimal as were's a body shell that has no protection underneath it ( except the middle roll bar ) will bend and flex alot faster thus cracking. One tiny crack can spread thru out, ruining the whole body. Those panels will bend only so far in a hit, then the rollcage stops it from going any further. I think it will take a long time for those panels to start showing wear and tear. I don't know what those panels will cost, pricing on parts is not available yet. Hopefully they won't be that expensive.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:10 PM
WarCowboy

Ha, I don't know what kinda paint jobs you been doing elvin, but I never have cracks like your describing when I paint my shells. I get tears and chips near the edges, but not cracks that spread. I make lots of light passes and finish it off with sealing it in a heavy coat of silver. Also, you saying the inner roll cage will protect the body is simply not true at all.
When something ridged is close to any body part, you always get dents and rub marks at those contacts the most.
On a savage, where is the most destroyed part of a body? On the top where the roll bar is.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 PM
elven wizard

I'm talking cracks in the body, not in the paint. I don't know what paint has to do with strengthening of the body. Picture of cracked body on my MCD Beetle. Down below HELLO. About rub marks, I rather have rubs marks than cracks and not to say the panels will never be cracked just saying it will be a cheaper alternative than a whole body shell replacement. Now as for the cost of the Losi 5ive - T panels again I hope they are affordable then again if you can afford a $1600.00 dollar Rc, I think you can afford a body panel. Body shell vs panels. There's so many unprotected open area's on a body shell creating weak points. A good side hit, roll over, front hit etc can ultimately damage a shell. When I had a Fiero ( by the way this is not my Fiero ) - please look at below second picture, you can take the panels off if there was any damage. Easy on and easy off or really easy off then on. Instead of replacing the door itself you just replace the panels. Take off, and attach new panels. It was simple and kind [sm=regular_smile.gif]to my wallet. The Losi reminds me of this same concept. It was a heck a lot more cheaper in the long run ! Losi is a company of great idea's, so this body panel idea is a welcome. hey it's a cool idea why do the same thing as everyone else does. Do it different but a good different, plus I think the pro's outweigh the cons on this one.

I have to go now, I'm going to see Captain America. I haven't see that one yet.

I have many bodys with simple little cracks that turned into big cracks.

Body panels come off and on on the Fiero just like the Losi. Couldn't be any simpler

Fiero door skin, just like the Losi panels - don't have to replace the whole door !

Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM
WarCowboy

My bad about assuming the paint.
But I hardly ever run body long enough to do that sorta damage you have demonstrated. You are a serious basher no doubt about it.
Anyhow yes I agree with LOSI being innovative, and they have always been one of if not my favorite brands. As you can see in my Avatar.
So I guess I would have to experience this myself before making any more comments as to whats good, just my first thoughts.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 PM
elven wizard

I respect that
Old 09-12-2011, 03:26 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I like: 4WD, the engine is longitudinally mounted for once so there should be less driveline resistance and it should be more reliable. Looks nice. Should be a tough little thing.

What I don't like: The price is pretty absurd, even for 1/5th scale stuff. 1500 for the Bind 'n Drive?! The name is...well, the name's absurd too. Nobody in Losi's R&D department is any good at naming things if the best they can come up with is 5IVE. Aaaand the engine and mounts look proprietary, as if it will be a bit of a faff getting any of the maany hotter 5B engines to pop in there.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: 378

What I like: 4WD, the engine is longitudinally mounted for once so there should be less driveline resistance and it should be more reliable. Looks nice. Should be a tough little thing.

What I don't like: The price is pretty absurd, even for 1/5th scale stuff. 1500 for the Bind 'n Drive?! The name is...well, the name's absurd too. Nobody in Losi's R&D department is any good at naming things if the best they can come up with is 5IVE. Aaaand the engine and mounts look proprietary, as if it will be a bit of a faff getting any of the maany hotter 5B engines to pop in there.
That engine position is going to cause tremendous torque steer, definitely not an advantage. What makes you say it should be tough? Losi doesn't exactly have a reputation for tough! lol. I have no idea, nor will I be even remotely interested in it, I'm just playing devil's advocate.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 PM

No, it won't. Torque steer has nothing to do with the engine's position and everything to do with the geometry of the steering system and the halfshafts going to the front wheels. If it's got one front shaft shorter than the other it's going to torque steer like a 305 Impala no matter where you mount the engine in the chassis. On top of that, you need to have a weak steering servo that can't control the wheels properly, or perhaps a bad servo saver. Even with unequal length front shafts, if the steering servo is strong enough and the linkage is tight you won't get torque steer. The servo would be able to counter the torque steer and force the wheels to hold their aim whether they want to or not.

Besides, every 1/8th buggy I've seen as of late has the spurs offset like that, and none of them torque steer.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Foxy

No, it won't. Torque steer has nothing to do with the engine's position and everything to do with the geometry of the steering system and the halfshafts going to the front wheels. If it's got one front shaft shorter than the other it's going to torque steer like a 305 Impala no matter where you mount the engine in the chassis. On top of that, you need to have a weak steering servo that can't control the wheels properly, or perhaps a bad servo saver. Even with unequal length front shafts, if the steering servo is strong enough and the linkage is tight you won't get torque steer. The servo would be able to counter the torque steer and force the wheels to hold their aim whether they want to or not.

Besides, every 1/8th buggy I've seen as of late has the spurs offset like that, and none of them torque steer.
lol? Yes. It. Will. Shaft length is one factor that causes torque steer. You are talking about one kind of torque steer, I'm talking about another.

Respectfully, you don't see torque steer in the sense I'm talking about it because you are a nitro person. Nitro engines don't make enough torque for the effect to be observed (it's slightly noticeable in on road to be fair). Gas engines and brushless motors do though. I'm not saying this thing will be impossible to accelerate straight or anything, but to those of us who can 'feel' it, it will be noticeable. The Savage Flux has a very strong torque steer effect, veers to the left under acceleration because the brushless motor is mounted longitudinally.

You seen gear drive axle crawlers tipping to to the side under motor torque when climbing? The exact same effect just more observable due to soft suspension, high resistance to the wheels and high torque motors.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:49 PM

...No, it won't. If it did, then explain why my F150 doesn't torque steer, but my mom's minivan does. My Ford has a longitudinally mounted engine, my mom's van does not, they make the same power.

My CEN torque steers like mad with power going to the front wheels. But when I disable the front axle and revert it to RWD? Voila, no more torque steer, drives straight as an arrow! Reason being is that steering slop allows the wheels to turn independently of what the servo commands them to, so when powered, they tend to make it pull. Remove power from them and suddenly they straighten right up. Literally. I've also noticed my NTC3 has a tendency to merge to the left a little on power, but again, it's slop in the steering. The wheels can move about three or four degrees before the servo saver straightens them out, so engine torque turns them that much to the left.

Longitudinally mounted engines do not create torque steer, what does is worn, sloppily built or poorly designed front drive systems. If you have equal length driveshafts, the suspension geometry is good, and the steering linkage and servo are strong and tight, then you won't get torque steer. Try it with your flux, yank the driveshaft going from the spur to the front diff and nail the throttle. I guarantee it will not torque steer. In all likelihood it will start spinning the back wheels incessantly on every surface you run it on, but it won't torquesteer.

As for what you see in crawlers? That's torque rolling. A poorly designed steering system will cause the vehicle to steer itself under that as well, but a well designed one will not. And I doubt Losi is one to half-ass the steering linkage that badly.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Foxy

Because if your 1:1 cars made the same power to weight (sic: torque to weight) as an RC car they'd do 500mph.

About your CEN, we are still not talking about the same torque steer effect.

This is a well known and observed facet of RC, why do you think all serious on road cars are belt driven and the engines are mounted so they rotate with the direction of travel? Torque steer is not the only reason, but it is one of the factors.

PS. You're wrong about crawers too. All geared axle shaft driven crawlers have torque roll, you can't get away from it. Only by having the motors on the axles can it be eliminated. Even worm drives suffer from it but to a much lesser degree. Yes it's called torque roll on crawers, but what effect do you suppose this has on much faster cars? That's right, it causes them to favor one side.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:56 PM

Just try it. Convert your flux to RWD and nail the gas. I guarantee you it won't torquesteer anymore. Convert it to FWD and it will be the NASCAR special.

Torque roll is not torque steer, and it will only cause the vehicle to change direction if the front end is a load of crap...and will manifest RWD, FWD or AWD.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Foxy

Just try it. Convert your flux to RWD and nail the gas. I guarantee you it won't torquesteer anymore. Convert it to FWD and it will be the NASCAR special.

Torque roll is not torque steer, and it will only cause the vehicle to change direction if the front end is a load of crap...and will manifest RWD, FWD or AWD.
1. My Flux's front wheels are off the ground when accelerating and I'm not turning them anyway. If I made it rwd, the effect I refer to would be WORSE.

2. The effect I refer to would not happen at all on a front wheel drive car, no shaft.

3. You are still talking about a different effect, you haven't understood what I'm talking about.

I'm not gonna bash my head against the wall arguing with you about this anymore. It's getting off topic.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:07 PM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

i thought only cars with driven front wheels could have torque steer...that the steering wheels had to be driven to get the effect. is this why you say there are two kinds?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:09 PM

That's true, Steve. Foxy's confusing torque roll and uneven bearing friction in his diffs with torque steer is all.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I gotta go with not calling it torque steer, though Foxy is right that a high torque shaft entering a diff perpendicular to the outputs will cause an unwanted rotational force. Though it's unfair to compare it to crawlers because theyre solid axle, so the effect much more pronounced. On cars with independent suspension like this one it's less of a big deal. Though really I don't see how the position of the engine is the defining factor, it really depends on how the axles are powered. If the chassis and gear holders are rigid enough you can change force direction all you want and won't notice anything until the suspension gets involved.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:42 PM
mooman007uk

it's called torque effect, it effects helicopters adversely that's why they have tail rotors to counter the torque effect....Newtons law states that an action has an equal an opposite reaction...so engine crankshaft applies power spinning one way so the chassis wants to spin the other........I thought this might have been a problem with the ferox that uses the same engine axis but seeing videos of it going round a track and flying off jumps it doesn't look to yaw down on one side, reason being is the centre diff spins the opposite way so you have another action/reaction, it's counter rotating and must supply enough opposite reaction to make it neutral.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 PM
srt10

I'll jump in a say this Losi will not have torque steer because of engine placement
it's all in the diffs...
Old 09-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Foxy

Some people call this effect torque steer, rightly or wrongly. It's certainly not called torque roll either except the effect observed in crawlers. If anyone does know what its called, feel free to shout.

EDIT: Ah, moo posted it above, torque effect. Thanks mate.

SRT, correct it's all in the diffs, but to eliminate it completely, is impossible and the more torque the bigger the problem. Gas engines have quite some torque, I'd be amazed if this effect isn't noticeable on the losi, but I'm prepared to be wrong.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Some people call this effect torque steer, rightly or wrongly. It's certainly not called torque roll either except the effect observed in crawlers. If anyone does know what its called, feel free to shout.

EDIT: Ah, moo posted it above, torque effect. Thanks mate.

SRT, correct it's all in the diffs, but to eliminate it completely, is impossible and the more torque the bigger the problem. Gas engines have quite some torque, I'd be amazed if this effect isn't noticeable on the losi, but I'm prepared to be wrong.
I'm just going to jump out an say we wont see much of anything with this Torque steer roll whatever they call it...
and it can be eliminated with proper setup.. if not you could not race 1:1 scale very well at all
and if I'm wrong that's guna suck cuz everone who gets this bad boy is going to all have issues with it.. []

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.