Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

HARM Magneto diff - need a quick answer, ordering...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

HARM Magneto diff - need a quick answer, ordering...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HARM Magneto diff - need a quick answer, ordering...

Magneto diff then...as cool as it sounds? I've decided I should just get the best, no matter what, as I don't want to be changing it again. It;'s an expensive item, so I just wanna buy it once.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71072.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	867117  
Old 02-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Foxy

Default RE: HARM Magneto diff - need a quick answer, ordering...

I've just searched the forums thoroughly and I can't find ANYONE who has ever posted about this diff, the new or the old version. Guys, PLEASE just tell me which diff I should get for an FG MT, bashing around, dirt and tarmac, stock Zen 26 with a powerful pipe. Should I just get the Elcon one? I've never had this problem before of not being able to find ANY accounts of what works and how well. This scale is just not popular enough! But I'll fix that.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Isle of Wight Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this post, some great info on diffs by Ian Oddie. http://www.rctek.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5614

In conclusion from the above thread, a Mag diff is the ultimate, and works in all conditions.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Foxy

Thanks for that, magneto it is! 'Works well in all conditions'. Sounds like the ticket.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Isle of Wight Basher

No problem, I only wish I could get them for my MCD or Baja
Old 02-01-2008, 05:40 PM
vtl1180ny

ORIGINAL: Isle of Wight Basher

Check out this post, some great info on diffs by Ian Oddie. http://www.rctek.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5614

In conclusion from the above thread, a Mag diff is the ultimate, and works in all conditions.

Ian is also discussing On Road...
Old 02-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Foxy

Yeh, I noticed that as well, but since he mentioned patchy tracks, wet conditions etc, I figure it's also good for off road cars. I run on tarmac and on dirt, so I'm sure it will be fine.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:21 PM
revopqrs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow.... thats sweet![X(]
Old 02-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Apache-

The magnet dif.

The principle is that it works on eddy current principle; a magnetic field intersects with a conductor.
Great idea BUT...
You need at the standard mag diff so much rotations before this priciple starts to work so it is basicly a "show dif" with no or hardly any lock.
Hence, this is probably why Ian putted himself al kinds of electro spools in there to increase the magnetic field / eddy current function to get more locking effect.
Check for the magnetic diff principle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current

The standard mag diff you can consider to be working as a normal open diff.

For 99,5% of the people here an open diff works just fine.
The mag diff holds up very well also, drove it for 1,5 years, normal wear but no serious troubles.

If I was you I would spend the money elsewhere on your car, unless you fancy racing and get the ultimate out of your car.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Foxy

Apache, I'm glad you showed up, I had a feeling you might know about this stuff. If there's anyone else around here that knows, they're keeping schtum.

So, I told you what I'm doing, messing around on tarmac and dirt, nothing serious, I just don't want one wheel spinning all the time. That's all. What diff would you recommend? I'm thinking either mag or elcon.

As for spending the money elsewhere... I need a diff, and they are all between 150 and 200, so, if the mag is worth 200euro, I might as well get it and be done with it, the saving is less than 50euro for the cheapest diff solution, and that's not even covering front hubs. The mag doesn't seem like a pricy item compared to the others.

Advice? I've got a couple of days to think about it before I order either...

Alloy diff case and double locker conversion
Elcon silicone tunable diff
Harm mag diff.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Sean70

Foxy42- The best diff you can get for your FG MT is the FG viscous diff and add the extra 6 plates option with 22ml of 4000 weight FG shock oil. This will produce the best locking effect. You will still need to setup your rear suspension especially when running in the dirt, in order to transfer the weight as much as possible onto the rear wheels to have them push into the ground so they grip up as much as possible and then with the viscous diff turning both wheels together it will hook up and take off. Otherwise without correct weight transfer any locking diff will cause your car to step out sideways under load.

Part Numbers - FG Viscous Diff - 8603, FG Viscous Fin/Plate Package - 8601, FG 4000 Weight Shock Oil - 6510/40
Old 02-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Vette09

Foxy - I started the thread over on Rctek that lead to the sticky by Ian. I had the same questions you did and I came to the conclusion that the Oddified mag diff is the one to get. It works on any surface and with any amt. of traction. I'll let you know how good it is when I test mine.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Foxy

Thanks guys, but the oddified one is probably silly money (tell me if I'm wrong), and the viscous requires raised diff mounts (not in the budget yet). [&o]

I think it's gonna be the Elcon in the end ya know...
Old 02-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Sean70

The FG viscous diff does not require raised diff mounts, it fits straight in the same position as your standard diff. In fact the elcon diff is the one that requires you to either change your 48 tooth widened diff gear that comes on your FG MT to the thinner version (or the 50 tooth thin gear - which is for on road) or get the 48 tooth widened diff gear machined so it can mount up correctly as the mounting position on the elcon diff does not allow the widened 48 tooth diff gear to line up correctly. The FG viscous does not require any extra parts or modifications to mount into an FG MT.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Dave ESPI

Foxy I assume you are lookig at difs for the FG MT you have, the Upgraded steel dif from FG is a great ine. I have it and it has been rock solid for the $ and the level of abuse I give it.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:35 PM
vtl1180ny

ORIGINAL: Sean70

Foxy42- The best diff you can get for your FG MT is the FG viscous diff and add the extra 6 plates option with 22ml of 4000 weight FG shock oil. This will produce the best locking effect. You will still need to setup your rear suspension especially when running in the dirt, in order to transfer the weight as much as possible onto the rear wheels to have them push into the ground so they grip up as much as possible and then with the viscous diff turning both wheels together it will hook up and take off. Otherwise without correct weight transfer any locking diff will cause your car to step out sideways under load.

Part Numbers - FG Viscous Diff - 8603, FG Viscous Fin/Plate Package - 8601, FG 4000 Weight Shock Oil - 6510/40

I'm running 80 weight gear oil, the shock oil has no lubrication properties.... You'll find most of the on road guys are using gear oil...
Old 02-02-2008, 10:04 PM
jasrx

The FG viscous diff does not require raised diff mounts, it fits straight in the same position as your standard diff. In fact the elcon diff is the one that requires you to either change your 48 tooth widened diff gear that comes on your FG MT to the thinner version (or the 50 tooth thin gear - which is for on road) or get the 48 tooth widened diff gear machined so it can mount up correctly as the mounting position on the elcon diff does not allow the widened 48 tooth diff gear to line up correctly. The FG viscous does not require any extra parts or modifications to mount into an FG MT.

yup and the FG double locking diff is the same as the elcon diff[ requires raised diff mounts] or cut the chassi a little , i decided to trim the chassi rather then raise the mounts .
Old 02-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Foxy

Thanks for that Sean, I thought it was the other way around. I'll see if I can find it. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:54 AM
JRexA

If you read the Rctek posts ( http://www.rctek.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5612 ) about the Magneto Diff, you will note that the newest versions also comes standard, with 2 friction plates, which was former one of Oddifieds mods to the Diff..

If I ever wants a Locking diff again, then I will go for the Oddified one, but the Elcon one runs FINE for my driving.

I used to run a std. FG Diff, that I had converted to a 2 plate self locking diff, but drivability on loose surfaces was AWFUL.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:34 AM
Paolo_Italy

Good morning, sir. Sorry I wanted to ask if you know where I can buy spare parts (various sprockets) for a differential MAG, OIan Oddie (which with is easy to contact or maybe responds but is never in place, since he is a responsible "EFRA" and then has fun at the World Championships with his RC models). As soon as I can I will send two\three photos of the set. I'm waiting. Thank you very much.