Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Advice on 1st 1/5 scale

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:43 PM
tjm5837

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Advice on 1st 1/5 scale

Yeah, I know the 26cc engine is a poor choice for this model. Wonder if there will be an SS version coming in the future, like HPI did with their Baja's. Might be worth waiting for . Just don't know at this point. Getting very confused. Have to get the best bang for the buck since I'm gettin them funny looks from my wife!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Automan

They should have put a littlebit bigger engine in the Losi, but the stock 26cc with a nice tunepipe really wakes up that engine and the truck. You just cant have it all right out of the box, and all owners of the losi will say that you get allot for the money with that truck.

And dont hold your breath waiting for a newer version of the Losi, there is nothing wrong with that truck and it's pretty much like a tank so a new version will not happen for a looooooooooooooooooooooong time.

I think the op on second thought should choose the redcat that will be the cheapest route when buying the truck.. but it will break allot more then a baja or losi, but it is cheaper to get you started and probably cheaper parts i guess.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:34 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Automan
The 4wd will with out a doubt demand more power then a 2wd does to have fun with it, just saying.
That is what I was trying to say as well.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:06 AM
tjm5837

They should have put a littlebit bigger engine in the Losi, but the stock 26cc with a nice tunepipe really wakes up that engine and the truck. You just cant have it all right out of the box, and all owners of the losi will say that you get allot for the money with that truck.

And dont hold your breath waiting for a newer version of the Losi, there is nothing wrong with that truck and it's pretty much like a tank so a new version will not happen for a looooooooooooooooooooooong time.

I think the op on second thought should choose the redcat that will be the cheapest route when buying the truck.. but it will break allot more then a baja or losi, but it is cheaper to get you started and probably cheaper parts i guess.
I think you guys misunderstand me. Im not looking for the cheapest way out. As with all my R/c, helis airplanes and cars I've researched to get the best representative of each in its class at the best price point. And so far there is nothing I have I don't absolutely love and use all the time. I have all the best performers at the best parts availability and have kept costs down. It's kind of a game with me.
You guys have helped a lot!
I realize now that I wanted my next truck to have 4wd, no matter what scale. I want 1/5 scale. I want parts availability and power. This leaves 2 choices Redcat and Lozi. I would like to build but just don't have that much time anymore. I don't really get excited by the redcats. One choice remains, that I don't think I can go wrong with. The Losi 5ive with upgraded 30.5cc motor. Now I just have to come to terms with the price (and convince my wife it's as practical a choice as I know it is). I think this platform has what I need to keep me happy for years to come. I think it's what the slash was to 1/10 scale. Just a bulletproof platform. It all seems so clear now. And believe it or not you guys helped make it crystal clear in my mind, and I thank you.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 AM
racetruck

go go redcat
Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 AM
mooman007uk

want a quality rig that's different, handles awesome and are fast...then have a look at the hurrax RS cars...come as rollers so you can choose your own motor and servos..little more initially than the losi but with that you get a paper weight engine , rx and steering servo that you'll probably replace so in the long run the hurrax would cost you less
Old 01-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Automan

tjm5837 youre welcome

In my opinion the 2wd is more fun in the longrun, and will demand more from the driver. There is a big risk that 4wd will be boring in a short time and not feel so alive as a 2wd will in terms of advance driving.. just saying.

As i said i have both the losi 5ive-t and hpi baja 5sc ss, and my personal opinion is that the losi is so hyped and overrated.. so many is jumping ship and treat the losi as a god and the hpi as trash, and im not going to write down what i think about that
Sure the losi 5 is a nice truck and i love it, but i love my hpi baja atleast as much as the losi even if the losi is the new kid in my collection. They both have their negatives and possitives, and in my opinion no one is better then the other.

All im saying is dont get stuck in the losi wave, look around as there are many nice cars/trucks out there. Dont be to quick to deside, take your time.. it's not every week you will buy a big car/truck like these, as they do take up allot of space and demand biiiiiig space to enjoy it fully.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:38 PM
tjm5837

tjm5837 youre welcome

In my opinion the 2wd is more fun in the longrun, and will demand more from the driver. There is a big risk that 4wd will be boring in a short time and not feel so alive as a 2wd will in terms of advance driving.. just saying.

As i said i have both the losi 5ive-t and hpi baja 5sc ss, and my personal opinion is that the losi is so hyped and overrated.. so many is jumping ship and treat the losi as a god and the hpi as trash, and im not going to write down what i think about that
Sure the losi 5 is a nice truck and i love it, but i love my hpi baja atleast as much as the losi even if the losi is the new kid in my collection. They both have their negatives and possitives, and in my opinion no one is better then the other.

All im saying is dont get stuck in the losi wave, look around as there are many nice cars/trucks out there. Dont be to quick to deside, take your time.. it's not every week you will buy a big car/truck like these, as they do take up allot of space and demand biiiiiig space to enjoy it fully.

All wise words Automan. I'm not saying the Hpi baja 5sc ss is not worthy of consideration. It's an awesome machine. I almost ordered it, just on the basis of the 29cc engine. Problem is I don't have the free time to do a build and I really would like a 4wd. I know what you mean about needing more skill to drive 2wd. I have one and enjoy the dirt and drifting in it. But don't enjoy getting stuck in the grass. I really want my next truck to be 4wd so choices are limited. I know I'll be upgrading the Losi a lot and think its a good platform to play with for a long time to come. One real fear I have that will probably take place is an upgraded baja sc w 4wd soon to come to get market share back. It will probably focus on the shortcommings of the Losi, like engine displacement. That would piss me off.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

Losi 5ive T.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Johnnysplits

How about an FG, MCD, or Kamitiro?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Automan

ORIGINAL: tjm5837

tjm5837 youre welcome

All wise words Automan. I'm not saying the Hpi baja 5sc ss is not worthy of consideration. It's an awesome machine. I almost ordered it, just on the basis of the 29cc engine. Problem is I don't have the free time to do a build and I really would like a 4wd. I know what you mean about needing more skill to drive 2wd. I have one and enjoy the dirt and drifting in it. But don't enjoy getting stuck in the grass. I really want my next truck to be 4wd so choices are limited. I know I'll be upgrading the Losi a lot and think its a good platform to play with for a long time to come. One real fear I have that will probably take place is an upgraded baja sc w 4wd soon to come to get market share back. It will probably focus on the shortcommings of the Losi, like engine displacement. That would piss me off.
Sounds to me that you have made up your mind, and if you really want a 4wd then the losi will probably make you very happy. Dont go thinking about what may be in the future, then you will miss out on today All we know is that HPI will release an electric 1:5 4wd based on the savage or other old platform.. nothing exciting at all.

Now it's time for you to plan this well, how you are going to convince your better half why she would agree to this... good luck

For me it's pretty easy, as she knows how adorable i get when i have something to work on, new car/truck and/or hooups for them
Old 02-01-2012, 04:25 AM
tjm5837

You are indeed a wise man, Automan. Just one question, since you have one of these. If you had it to do over again, would you buy a stock setup for a discounted price of $125 dollars off plus $30 in bonus coupons (a deal I've found locally) or get one from TGN and pay full price + $300 w/free shipping to get the upgraded engine option to a Cat5 30.5cc race tuned motor installed? I'm leaning one way, but would like your opinion as an owner of one of these. I think my wife will be cool either way. She just wants me to be sure I'm making the right choice before I buy. Being an airplane/heli guy I got bored in about 2weeks with my Traxxas slash until I got a velineon system for it, now I can't drive it enough! I do like power , but I would imagine that engine would stress the stock drivetrain (causing the need for rapid upgrades to keep it running).
Old 02-01-2012, 04:31 AM
Johnnysplits

Cat5 30.5cc race tuned motor
That particular engine is designedmore for an onroad rig than a 4WD offroad rig. Cat5 is a 1/4 scale nascar manufacturer. Whenever you see "race" tuned, that usually means high rpm / less torque and you really want the opposite for a heavy 4WD.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ONB 30.5 Full Mod is what you need for that heavy beast.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Johnnysplits

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

ONB 30.5 Full Mod is what you need for that heavy beast.
Yeah!! full mod long rod
Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 AM
tulz161

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a built baja ss i might sell. Has less than a half gallon in it and looks like new. Should me a pm if interested.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:27 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

If you don't have time to build one with a bigger engine, you won't have time to fix it when it breaks. And it will within 2 weeks. Servos, dogbones, pullstart, etc. Something will go wrong and you will be dissapointed you spent $1800 on an RC car that breaks.

How far are you away from Gizmomotors? http://gizmomotors.com/ They are in Bartow Florida and sell Losi and probably repair them as well.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Automan

You are indeed a wise man, Automan. Just one question, since you have one of these. If you had it to do over again, would you buy a stock setup for a discounted price of $125 dollars off plus $30 in bonus coupons (a deal I've found locally) or get one from TGN and pay full price + $300 w/free shipping to get the upgraded engine option to a Cat5 30.5cc race tuned motor installed? I'm leaning one way, but would like your opinion as an owner of one of these. I think my wife will be cool either way. She just wants me to be sure I'm making the right choice before I buy. Being an airplane/heli guy I got bored in about 2weeks with my Traxxas slash until I got a velineon system for it, now I can't drive it enough! I do like power , but I would imagine that engine would stress the stock drivetrain (causing the need for rapid upgrades to keep it running).
Thanks

I would just buy the truck and a pipe for it to get started, it's easy to install a pipe and will really wake up that stock engine.. manny are pleased with that setup so you may to be satisfied with that, just try it and see as you are probably going to buy a pipe sooner or later anyways. Getting a new engine directly will take a longer time for you to install then a pipe and longer time before you can try the truck

You will perhaps get hoopups later on anyways, so get engine then if you feel you need it and try the above first. When and if you get a engine, make sure it's tuned for torque and not tuned for onroad racecar, a stock 29cc engine will be fine to.

Get that stock truck with a good tunepipe.. and put your money on better servos and maybe swap the rx for something better... or just get a spectrum radio for that included rx, and do not forget to install a kill switch.

Good luck !
Old 02-01-2012, 02:47 PM
tjm5837

ORIGINAL: RAMTech-HBF-LSF

If you don't have time to build one with a bigger engine, you won't have time to fix it when it breaks. And it will within 2 weeks. Servos, dogbones, pullstart, etc. Something will go wrong and you will be dissapointed you spent $1800 on an RC car that breaks.

How far are you away from Gizmomotors? http://gizmomotors.com/ They are in Bartow Florida and sell Losi and probably repair them as well.
It's not that I don't have the time or ability to fix an RC when it breaks my brother. Problem is I'm involved in fixing my stuff all the time with the stuff I do have and balancing that with my full time job and wife (who I must not forget). Fixing is one thing and building another kit is another. Building my last helicopter took me over a month working on it an hour here or three hours there then having to put it all away and re-upolster a chair, then get it all back out and start again 4 hours here , then 2 hours there. Not to mention all the programing after the build! Granted helicopter kits are a little more complicated than car kits, but car kits still have lots of parts and little bits to get lost, when you don't have huge chunks of time to get it all done in a few days. I actually enjoy fixing the broken stuff, I've brought a few airplanes back from the dead that were a pile of balsa toothpics. Out of all my stuff, I probably enjoy fixing the cars the most due to their simplicity and if you make a mistake at least it won't fall out of the sky into someone's house!
The fixing is the best part is what I'm trying to say. Building a kit? Ah not so much. I'll let some Chinese technician do the assembly and I'll just run the hell out of it, break it and fix it. I know a lot of you guys think you should build all your own kits or your not a hobbyist. But I've done a lot of builds of everything except boats, and I just don't particularly enjoy it anymore. However if Losi offered the 5ive T in a kit with a firebreathing motor...I probably would make an exception.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:57 PM
tjm5837

Thanks

I would just buy the truck and a pipe for it to get started, it's easy to install a pipe and will really wake up that stock engine.. manny are pleased with that setup so you may to be satisfied with that, just try it and see as you are probably going to buy a pipe sooner or later anyways. Getting a new engine directly will take a longer time for you to install then a pipe and longer time before you can try the truck

You will perhaps get hoopups later on anyways, so get engine then if you feel you need it and try the above first. When and if you get a engine, make sure it's tuned for torque and not tuned for onroad racecar, a stock 29cc engine will be fine to.

Get that stock truck with a good tunepipe.. and put your money on better servos and maybe swap the rx for something better... or just get a spectrum radio for that included rx, and do not forget to install a kill switch.

Good luck !

Thanks brother, thats the direction I was leaning. Cheers!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:04 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

I would go for a Losi from LargeScaleRC or GizmoMotors then!!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Automan

Youre welcome tjm5837

I must say i love building things, boats, planes, helis and cars/trucks... but i wouldnt enjoy it if i could only work on it 1 hour or two then having to put it all away, then bring it out again.. that would put me of bigtime and destroy the great relaxing feeling you get when you build something.

Good luck, and please do post some pictures when you get it.

Advice... let your wife try your new truck, it might just put a litte smile on her face... i know my fiance thinks it's fun now, almost a year ago i gave her my new slash 4x4 pe and she loves that car and drive the hell out of it.. it makes me happy she got a littlebit involved with rc finally... but so far she gives it to me for tuneups and service
Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 PM
tjm5837

I can't even get her to drive my slash. She's not interested in RC at all. She says it makes her nervous to even watch. It freaks her out to even do it on a simulator. Weird?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:41 PM
tjm5837

Ordered the Losi. $1474 out the door. Thanks for all the help, both pro and con. Really helped me decide.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:42 PM
tjm5837

Ordered the Losi. $1474 out the door. Thanks for all the help, both pro and con. Really helped me decide.
Posted twice sorry. Got message of some kind of server error.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.