Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

1/5 Scale Rampage model differences

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/5 Scale Rampage model differences

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 AM
nixzero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/5 Scale Rampage model differences

Hey, guys, I'm new to the forum, hopefully my question hasn't been asked before.

I've really wanted to get a 1/5 scale RC, and I've been looking at the RedCat models. Only thing is, I really can't tell much difference between some of them. For example, the XT and MT look similar, the only difference I can spot are tires and bumpers. The same goes for the XB and the Dune Runner, they appear to just have different bodies and tires. Looking at the specs, I can see there are other differences (tank size, dimensions, included battery+charger), but can someone set me straight? Also, they appear to use the same chassis, would it be possible to buy a truck and convert it to a buggy down the road? Thanks!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/5 Scale Rampage model differences

Moved to giant scale where there is lots of support for those particular models...
Old 07-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come on guys, someone must be able to help this member, we have loads of owners and ex-owners in here.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 AM
nixzero

Thanks for the bump, Foxy!

I'm on a tight budget, so I was also looking at used models. Because of the shipping fees for such a large vehicle, I'm trying Craigslist first, and all I'm seeing are the HPI 5T/5B (I LOVE the 5Bs), and the FG Modellsport MTs. The HPIs are usually around $800 (out of my budget), and the FGs are usually $500 (do-able). I would be willing to save up a bit to afford a new one, but would still have to buy something in the budget arena. I'm looking at buggies and MTs, it's hard to decide, but ultimately it comes down to getting the most dependable vehicle I can afford to own.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 AM
elven wizard

If you want to just run around and bash the Redcat's Xt's are cheap.
Same with the Redcat MT's difference's mainly one is lighter than the other being the XT.
Xt has a newer design and has smaller wheels and tires. Not bad for the money.
If you want something tougher and great for desert use, if you can then save up then go for the Hpi.
So it's what you want, what kind of use the 1/5 car will be used for, and what you can afford. A used 1/5 scale is fine if you have some experience with engines, drivetrains, and electronics.
You don't want someone's else's problems, unless you can fix the odd's and ends.
Perfect opportunity for you since 1/5 scale has got'ten cheaper over the years.
Years ago 1/5 scale wasn't cheap I liked the MCD line ( because of the versatility ) a rolling barebones chassis MCD Monster truck then went for $1800.00 now you can get a Redcat XT / with radio with everything for around $575 or cheaper, depending on where you shop including free shipping. There good starter 1/5 scale cars.
Whatever 1/5 scale you get, you will learn from that model. Then you go from there and move up the 1/5 scale line.

Here's one of my MCD Monster Trucks

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuIdNRo5xAQ[/youtube]
Old 07-12-2012, 08:54 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nixzero

Hey, guys, I'm new to the forum, hopefully my question hasn't been asked before.

I've really wanted to get a 1/5 scale RC, and I've been looking at the RedCat models. Only thing is, I really can't tell much difference between some of them. For example, the XT and MT look similar, the only difference I can spot are tires and bumpers. The same goes for the XB and the Dune Runner, they appear to just have different bodies and tires. Looking at the specs, I can see there are other differences (tank size, dimensions, included battery+charger), but can someone set me straight? Also, they appear to use the same chassis, would it be possible to buy a truck and convert it to a buggy down the road? Thanks!
The X series is the lighter series the XT and the MT there is alot of difference then the tires the chassis is stronger the drive train is stonger and mor in the MT. The same goes for the XB and the dune runner the chasis is tronger and more of a durable buggy the D/R So for a more durable stroger out of the box the MT or the D/R would be the way to go. The XT or the XB is the lighter series which will be faster out of the box but will need upgrades for the duriabilty.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:11 AM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Sorry, missed this one. I'm in Chandler and can help you decide which one to buy. PM sent.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:27 PM
ratpower396

one big thing to consider is parts availability.. I just bought a king motors baja 5b clone because baja parts are easy to get. I also have a firehammer that the parts are getting more difficult to get thats why the baja clone peaked my interest. just something to think about is do you want to wait everytime you need a part to keep running or go to the local shop that carries parts for certain models..
Old 07-14-2012, 07:06 PM
splcrazy

i really like these trucks , i like both monster trucks the xt and the regular MT . i dont know which i should buy , ive seen both in person at a hobby shop , the MT is really massive , the pics dont really give you a size comparison to real life . ill proberly get the MT .
Old 07-28-2012, 09:15 AM
huw4027

I have the XT and the MT and while the XT is cheaper it needs a lot of upgrades to be considered durable.
The MT-V3 in my opinion would be the better option because it is much tougher and needs fewer upgrades. [8D]