Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Serious Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:48 PM
nitrohead5300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Serious Question

Maybe we should try to find out how the Soap Box Derby developed?? Soap Box Derby has races in 40 states. Thats 40 tracks!!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: Sherv

I think the biggest problem is noise. Large scale is loud. If you have a track generally the county requires a certain decibel to be compliant. At least that is how it is with Air planes and air fields. From what I have read and experienced at my local air field there are certain individuals in the community or county board that try find any reason close down fields that dont comply to the decibel that was set.

I think what is more important is to just to find an accessible place just to bash 1/5th first. Racing comes after you have established locations to bash 1/5th.

Like when it comes to airplanes... it is so convenient... I have a field 5min from and another 20min and another 40 min away. All catering to diff type of planes, some have runways, and some dont... But if I want to play 1/5th... I have to go to PA. No thanks.

Honestly for 1/5th scale to succeed in racing I think it has to go strictly electric (here in the states). Or strict muffler regulation (must have silencer) for gas.

It seems it was hard enough for some airplane clubs to get county help... And airplanes require knowledge, experience, and mathematic (when you build your own plane from scratch)...

What do you really build on 1/5th scale cars?

Making planes is much easier/accessible considering you use balsa and ply while cars need metal, welding, and so on.
my kids kept notes on temp, humidty and what they had to set their needle valve setting to to get max horsepower out of their motor based on that data ,so if in the future the ran under similar conditions they could just reference their notes. They also made notes on how the tires grip based on that data etc. Figuring out the right gear ratio so you get enough punch out of the turns but still maintain good gas milage so you can finish the race. These are all thing s you better consider if you want to finish a race. And when you do that you are developing observation skills , writhing skills , math you use math to figureout your gear ratio , speed , mileage etc for your race.
I don't deny any of that. It is just easier to make the case that building or designing a plane from scratch is more educational to people in Suits and county positions.

Also in regards to people not being able to tune, well from my experience in the hobby it is a lot more difficult to find people into nitro/gas cars than it is to find people with airplanes.

I think one reason, and something large scale racing should do, is the AMA. The AMA for airplanes makes it easy to find clubs near you, get insurance, and make the hobby seem more responsible and legit.

Car scene is nowhere near as organized compared to airplanes. Airplanes are successful because AMA has been pushing for it and mandatory membership to join most clubs plus insurance coverage. This unification and leadership is key to expanding the hobby.

AMA Says they do liability coverage with RC cars

http://www.modelaircraft.org/members.../overview.aspx

But i dont know if that means large scale/gas too. Maybe the car community should work with AMA to expand and promote cars as well. I dunno, these are just some ideas that popped into my head.

Going from cars to airplane I can tell you Airplane clubs are great. Half the fun are the clubs and members.

Here in rockville/gaithersburg we woudl have informal RC car meets but everyone quit nitros and gas and only the electrics were left and in the last 3 years no one even shows up to the meets anymore. I had a tremendous amount of fun at the informal meets but once it died... My interest died with cars at the same time.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:50 PM
mooman007uk

i don't think noise is really a problem...there's enough open space around every built up area, if you've ever been to a NHRA, indy car, nascar, F1, motogp, superbike, etc you'll know what noise is and our unsilenced gassers are no louder than the chainsaws you hear in my neck of the woods every weekend this time of year. noise isn't a problem unless you're running in a subdivision,out in the industrial areas and beyond it bothers no one.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:00 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to actually do a SPL test on Nitros vs. Gassers...depending on the pipe on a gasser, I don't think they are much louder than those tiny Nitros...especially track pipes and muffled pipes
Old 07-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

i don't think noise is really a problem...there's enough open space around every built up area, if you've ever been to a NHRA, indy car, nascar, F1, motogp, superbike, etc you'll know what noise is and our unsilenced gassers are no louder than the chainsaws you hear in my neck of the woods every weekend this time of year. noise isn't a problem unless you're running in a subdivision,out in the industrial areas and beyond it bothers no one.
Not disagreeing with you but to give you an example at our airfield we do have this one guy who lives down the road stop by randomly with a decibel meter to catch us breaking the sound rules just so he could close the place down. Also there are people on the county board that want the club gone but given that the club is one of the oldest in America and has records/history... They have been able to stick around.

People suck around here... And our field is in the forest too...
Old 07-25-2012, 03:51 AM
nitrohead5300

I think we need to unite all the RC hobbies under one huge organization and get political. We need rc parks because it would be good family recreation and educational for young people and promote good sportmanship. We need to push for public RC parks for land , air and water hobbies. But first we need to organize thats what the dog owners did here locally and thats how they got their dog parks.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:30 AM
savagecommander

it works until someone complains about it. most times, anything irregular causes complaints. every single time i ran my baja at the local park, police arrived shortly after. they never said anything to me, but the fact remains. there was an outdoor track that tried to get up and running, and too many noise complaints shut it down-IT WAS A 1/10 ELECTRIC TRACK.

people complain, no matter what.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:41 AM
mooman007uk

wow, you guys have some crap neighbours...and the guy with the decibel meter needs a good tuning...i forgot it only takes one vocal tosser to spoil everyone's fun...when i lived in the uk it was the same x10.

I know the dirt bikes up here are having a hard time nowadays running in one particular gravelpit that's been used for years...reason...new fancy subdivision built next door and the city a-holes who move to the country and then want to tell country folk to stop doing what they've been doing for decades..because the city people don't like it..it's a cancer that is spreading...some bmw or merc driving git even complained to the local authority about the smell, and wrote to the paper saying that this practice should be banned, when one farmer did his yearly cow poop spread on his fields...***

my adage has always been either "when in rome etc....", and "if you don't like it, f*&^ off" ....unfortunately, however, the law always seems to favour the killjoys nowadays
Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 AM
nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

it works until someone complains about it. most times, anything irregular causes complaints. every single time i ran my baja at the local park, police arrived shortly after. they never said anything to me, but the fact remains. there was an outdoor track that tried to get up and running, and too many noise complaints shut it down-IT WAS A 1/10 ELECTRIC TRACK.

people complain, no matter what.
Wow a electric track too much noise??!!! But I know a local airplane club that checked the zoning and was given the ok lost its sight because some woman complained about the planes flying over here house. Go figure
Old 07-25-2012, 02:15 PM
racetruck

Nitrohead i dont know how long you have been around the the veleodome but they used to run a big R/C event in september untill they had a very bad R/C wreck the car went through the wooden fence and hurt some people and had insurance problems and they had to stop the R/C events this happen back in the late 1990's
Old 07-25-2012, 03:19 PM
bbuzzard

As they say, it only takes one...
[]
Old 07-25-2012, 05:13 PM
nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: racetruck

Nitrohead i dont know how long you have been around the the veleodome but they used to run a big R/C event in september untill they had a very bad R/C wreck the car went through the wooden fence and hurt some people and had insurance problems and they had to stop the R/C events this happen back in the late 1990's
Thank you for making me aware of that I didnt hear anything about that !! I was too busy at that time in my life working 3 jobs to pay for my divorce from my first wife I didnt have time for RC[&o] Was this electric or gas car??
Old 07-25-2012, 05:19 PM
nitrohead5300

But we can always learn from our mistakes in the future if we get a site better safety barriers.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:18 AM
racetruck

If i remember right it was an electric 10 scale. they ran 1/4 scale cars as well
Old 07-26-2012, 08:23 AM
nitrohead5300

Thank you racetruck for that piece of information.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 AM
racetruck

I used to know the web site that hosted the races i will look for it
Old 07-26-2012, 08:55 AM
nitrohead5300

Thanks!!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:03 AM
mike_humphreys

Hi Guys, I don't want to seem obvious but do you guys know ROAR? http://www.roarracing.com/ it's a national organisation like the BRCA in England www.brca.org , NOMAC in Holland http://www.nomac.nl/ then you have EFRA for all of Europe http://news.efra.ws/ and IFMAR as a world championship organisation http://www.ifmar.org/

With all these organisations in place there must be one point of reference to help you (the US) work some way of getting 1/5th scale recognised as a proper sport and to have one voice to do the arguing and making it possible for you to race. I've just got back from the large scale off road European championships in the UK that had 120 drivers attending, the week before was the large scale on road Euros in Spain with another 120 drivers - it is possible and I wish you all the best.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:55 AM
bbuzzard

Yes, I know about ROAR...they only have onroad 5th scale classes. []
Old 07-30-2012, 05:08 AM
nitrohead5300

Mike is right that would be a good place to start. But roar seems more about organizing races and providing insurace not developing race sites.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:58 AM
mike_humphreys

Join it and vote! the BRCA didn't always have a large scale section, it does now and it's just celebrated it's 10th year. The guys at ROAR should be able to help if they're really into seeing the sport grow.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:57 AM
nitrohead5300

Thats true worth a try anyway.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:30 AM
bbuzzard

So how many folks are going to join...$25 and we can start some type of 5th scale revolution here in NA, hehehe
Old 07-30-2012, 12:37 PM
nitrohead5300

You are missing the whole point , promoting the hobby of rc racing. Roar is a large organization getting them on our side could help promote our segment of rc.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:47 PM
mike_humphreys

You'll find it's the same 4 or 5 people that do all the work, be it at one club or every club in every state. If you want it bad enough, it's worth doing. Maybe you could ask the organisers of county or state fares about putting on an exhibition race meeting for large scale.

There are large scale off road cars out there, contact the suppliers then ask then in turn to contact the customers and create interest that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.