Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Serious Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 05:35 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Serious Question

What will it take for the vendors and track owners to realize the potential here in North America to have sanctioned (ie like the rest of the world) venues for largescale offroad???? I know money is a big factor but the last time I heard, our money is worth something in the exchange...
Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Serious Question

I think 1/10 and 1/8 far out number the large scale stuff in use.

When the local scene around a track (or the area someone is will to drive to it) has enough large scale to warrant it adding a track, only then will they change.

Don't kid yourself, cost is a HUGE factor, with 1/10 cars starting at $100 and 1/5th at $1000 (new Losi is $1600)! Then the track also needs to be larger, and that means more property is required as well (for an outdoor track).

Indoor tracks, thats another whole ball game!

Bill S.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:07 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's something you have to wonder, it still goes ok in the UK.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:18 AM
savagecommander

political much?
Old 07-23-2012, 04:09 AM
Foxy

You're right, that was out of order and I apologise. Removed.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:39 AM
tapkoote

Up here in Seattle
Pacific raceways just put in a go-cart track
would be perfect for some on road racing
but the permits and such are to big of a hassle, I'm told

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQYNw...layer_embedded
tap
Old 07-23-2012, 11:15 AM
The_Shark

1/8 is almost dead due to costs, 1/5 will only be worse.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:05 PM
bbuzzard

1/5th scale gassers are cheaper to run IMO than nitro and lot less of a pain in the ass. I even overheard a conversation in my LHS that electric is the way to go for 1/10th and 1/8th scale and nitro is losing its appeal overall. This was coming from a dude who has like 50 RC cars...
Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Foxy

It's certainly true that nitro is dying, being slowly pushed out by brushless electric, but it will always stay, it will never die, it'll reach a lowish level and stay there, there will always be people wanting to run 40k rpm engines. Those who are in it for maximum performance will have gone brushless already.

It's easy to see why, a 1/8th brushless truggy on 6S lipo is a sight to behold. By far the most visceral experience in the surface hobby at the moment in terms of sheer power to weight ratio. I just finished my Xray build, can't wait to run it. Geared 13/46 it'll do 54mph and backflip on the spot. Totally nuts RC.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:21 PM
nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

What will it take for the vendors and track owners to realize the potential here in North America to have sanctioned (ie like the rest of the world) venues for largescale offroad???? I know money is a big factor but the last time I heard, our money is worth something in the exchange...
People who own dogs have public dog parks here that are supported locally by taxes. Why can't we hobbiest and shop owners unite and push for RC Recreational parks for planes, boats and cars?? We pay taxes too!!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:14 PM
bbuzzard

ORIGINAL: nitrohead5300

People who own dogs have public dog parks here that are supported locally by taxes. Why can't we hobbiest and shop owners unite and push for RC Recreational parks for planes, boats and cars?? We pay taxes too!!
Exactly!!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:48 PM
nitrohead5300

One of the side effects of children who are exposed to rc alot of them grow up to be problem solvers in other words.... engineers, scientist , machinest etc, etc. RC should be promoted more. Our society is more tuned in to the computor . It seems like the only thing most people know to use their hands for is text messaging instead of creating. Just my opinion.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:12 PM
bbuzzard

ORIGINAL: tapkoote

Up here in Seattle
Pacific raceways just put in a go-cart track
would be perfect for some on road racing
but the permits and such are to big of a hassle, I'm told

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQYNw...layer_embedded
tap
I am trying to check out the Summit Point kart track near me real soon!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctnYU-eLCns[/youtube]
Old 07-23-2012, 07:57 PM
nitrohead5300

What gets me is in Indianapolis the city has a Veladrome track that they hardly have any bike races on but 1/5 scale gas cars are not allowed to used it because they don't want any gas or oil on the track!! Because of all the bike races they have on it what a croc!![]
Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Foxy

Have you seen what happens when cyclist falls off at 50 mph!? I don't blame them not wanting oil ont he track!!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:07 AM
nitrohead5300

Thats not the point they have sooo few bike races there during the year if there is any residew left on the track it will get washed off by the rains. The track is hardly use for bike races at all maybe once or twice a year.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:59 AM
mooman007uk

demographically there just isn't enough people in N.America with 5thscales to make it viable..here there is a big 10th and 8th scene, a local track with organized events, indoor track and they had an indoor stadium event last winter with 150 turnout to race, even made it into the local papers,...i built a track for 5th and apart from the opening get together where we had 9 runners show up now it's hard to get more than 3-4 once or twice a year. while price has a part to play image also has a lot to do with it. Our cars are perceived by the vast majority as little toys rather than a serious hobby, big boys toys are dirt bikes, quads, 4x4's, hotrods, anything you can shoehorn a V8 into[8D]etc so uptake for "toy cars" is poor; milestone got rid of it's 5th track cos it wasn't paying it's way because there weren't enough people using it and that's in the state with the highest population density and best weather...financially a largescale track isn't viable and even at personallly owned tracks on private land getting enough people to show for a meet is hard.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: nitrohead5300

Thats not the point they have sooo few bike races there during the year if there is any residew left on the track it will get washed off by the rains. The track is hardly use for bike races at all maybe once or twice a year.
I don't think we have the same definition of velodrome in mind.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 AM
nitrohead5300

We need to promote our hobby differently. It recreational , family fun but it also helps your children develope problem solving skills. Lets look at cars for example in order to be compeitive you need to take notes ( writhing skills ) determine which tires , engine setup to used under different conditions so your car handle well ( observation skills ) choosing the right setup ( thinking reasoning skills ) Creating new idems to solve problems with your car ( creative skills. ) RC Car racing could be part of the schools curriculum . We need to change our image and sell the idea to the public. RC is good for you and your children. It helps your children develope critical thinking skills. At least it work on my children My son went to West Point graduated with a degree in computor science, and my daughter is working on her PHD. Both were exposed to rc and develope problem solving skills trying to come up with ways to improve their cars performance so they could beat the crap outta dad. The problem solving skills developed in rc racing carried over to their studies.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Nitrohead you are really reaching for that one.  What is really takes, and what those kids are really thinking, is "who do I get the money from?"

Old 07-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

I think the biggest problem is noise. Large scale is loud. If you have a track generally the county requires a certain decibel to be compliant. At least that is how it is with Air planes and air fields. From what I have read and experienced at my local air field there are certain individuals in the community or county board that try find any reason close down fields that dont comply to the decibel that was set.

I think what is more important is to just to find an accessible place just to bash 1/5th first. Racing comes after you have established locations to bash 1/5th.

Like when it comes to airplanes... it is so convenient... I have a field 5min from and another 20min and another 40 min away. All catering to diff type of planes, some have runways, and some dont... But if I want to play 1/5th... I have to go to PA. No thanks.

Honestly for 1/5th scale to succeed in racing I think it has to go strictly electric (here in the states). Or strict muffler regulation (must have silencer) for gas.

It seems it was hard enough for some airplane clubs to get county help... And airplanes require knowledge, experience, and mathematic (when you build your own plane from scratch)...

What do you really build on 1/5th scale cars?

Making planes is much easier/accessible considering you use balsa and ply while cars need metal, welding, and so on.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 AM
bbuzzard

Ya'll are making valid points...keep them coming!

ORIGINAL: Sherv
But if I want to play 1/5th... I have to go to PA. No thanks.
Sherv, come on, son...PA! Really???

Old 07-24-2012, 09:28 AM
The_Shark

1/5th scale gassers are cheaper to run IMO than nitro and lot less of a pain in the ass. I even overheard a conversation in my LHS that electric is the way to go for 1/10th and 1/8th scale and nitro is losing its appeal overall. This was coming from a dude who has like 50 RC cars...
it seems to me like people are loosing the ability to tune, NO ONE knows how to do it, and new people almost never learn how, its really really sad, my first nitro was when i was 13, I thought myself on a worn engine (it was used) and within a couple days it was second nature, then there are folks that have been doing it for years, but still can't tune worth a darn, I blame the new technology, we are so used to typing or asking what we want and its done for us.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM
nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Nitrohead you are really reaching for that one. What is really takes, and what those kids are really thinking, is ''who do I get the money from?''

You mean to pay for college??
Old 07-24-2012, 01:25 PM
nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: Sherv

I think the biggest problem is noise. Large scale is loud. If you have a track generally the county requires a certain decibel to be compliant. At least that is how it is with Air planes and air fields. From what I have read and experienced at my local air field there are certain individuals in the community or county board that try find any reason close down fields that dont comply to the decibel that was set.

I think what is more important is to just to find an accessible place just to bash 1/5th first. Racing comes after you have established locations to bash 1/5th.

Like when it comes to airplanes... it is so convenient... I have a field 5min from and another 20min and another 40 min away. All catering to diff type of planes, some have runways, and some dont... But if I want to play 1/5th... I have to go to PA. No thanks.

Honestly for 1/5th scale to succeed in racing I think it has to go strictly electric (here in the states). Or strict muffler regulation (must have silencer) for gas.

It seems it was hard enough for some airplane clubs to get county help... And airplanes require knowledge, experience, and mathematic (when you build your own plane from scratch)...

What do you really build on 1/5th scale cars?

Making planes is much easier/accessible considering you use balsa and ply while cars need metal, welding, and so on.
my kids kept notes on temp, humidty and what they had to set their needle valve setting to to get max horsepower out of their motor based on that data ,so if in the future the ran under similar conditions they could just reference their notes. They also made notes on how the tires grip based on that data etc. Figuring out the right gear ratio so you get enough punch out of the turns but still maintain good gas milage so you can finish the race. These are all thing s you better consider if you want to finish a race. And when you do that you are developing observation skills , writhing skills , math you use math to figureout your gear ratio , speed , mileage etc for your race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.