Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Couple questions before diving into homade rc

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Couple questions before diving into homade rc

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:35 PM
laextreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple questions before diving into homade rc

I am going to build a 1/4 version of my 2012 subaruwrx, and have a few questions before i dive head first. Which material would be best to use, steel or aluminum, i have a tig welder so i can weld both. I plan on doing a tube style chassis with a full sheetmetal undercarriage and wheel tubs to keep dirt out. Also my goal is for it to weigh in less then 40lbs, and i would like for it to be decently quick. Are there any motors that are like$200 that can be upgraded in the future for more power. I would like to be able to get up to 50 with good acceleration, not just top end. Also i plan on going AWD just like my 1:1. who makes a transmission and fropnt and rear diffs that can handle a gas motor. i looked at MCDs website but they dont have the cases, just the front and rear differential gear. im completely clueless on how to do the body, still looking at options and ideas.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Default RE: Couple questions before diving into homade rc

I've never done a tube chassis but Mooman and Roofchopper should be able to help you out there.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 PM
MMG

Do lots and lots of research.And I mean lots.Check the 1/4 scale forums.You will see pics on what the frames are made of and their design.Also the front and rear suspension.Their design and material used.You can google 1/4 parts.Find out who sells them or who will make you a custom piece.Then there's the shocks,rims and tires.Getting back to the frame.Do you want round or square tubing,usually 3/8" o.d tubing will do.There is alot of guys on the internet that make their own car .From the chassis to the body. Keeping it under 40 pounds, not likely.My quarterscale stock car is around 30Lbs and thats with a lexan body.Your adding alotmore extra parts.Alot of work a head of you.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:45 PM
MMG

Actually if you scroll down to Bob Stormers monster truck build you will see how he's building it.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Mudgy

Have a look at what C.Lyra did too.
Also theres Vass, Kenazzo, DVP, Stiggwelder (roofchopper), Bob Stormer, Lars to name a few. Sorry if I missed anyone, but if you want light weight, well alloy will be lighter than steel
If you have a TIG, that shouldn't be a prob.
Some fellas have done balsa bodies, some got super keen and vac formed a lexan one, others have made wooden bucks as a plug, then made a mold, and now can make as many 'glass bodies as they wish. Just takes time and dedication. If you have the "idea" in your head, just keep chipping away 'til you get there. It is a very rewarding experience when you start it up, take it for a spin and say, "yeah, I made that".
Old 08-22-2012, 06:01 AM
mooman007uk

if you have a tig then i'd recommend using 4130 chrome moly tubing...light and very, very strong...(1:1 Subaru rally cars use the same) you can get all sizes, shapes and wall thickness from aircraft spruce [link]http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/me/steel.html[/link]
Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 AM
laextreme

ORIGINAL: MMG

Do lots and lots of research.And I mean lots.Check the 1/4 scale forums.You will see pics on what the frames are made of and their design.Also the front and rear suspension.Their design and material used.You can google 1/4 parts.Find out who sells them or who will make you a custom piece.Then there's the shocks,rims and tires.Getting back to the frame.Do you want round or square tubing,usually 3/8" o.d tubing will do.There is alot of guys on the internet that make their own car .From the chassis to the body. Keeping it under 40 pounds, not likely.My quarterscale stock car is around 30Lbs and thats with a lexan body.Your adding alotmore extra parts.Alot of work a head of you.
Well i know all about having alot of qork ahead of me, currently building a 67 camro from the ground up, only origial sheetmetal left is the trunk, and its half gone. Second i was already thinking 3/8' round tubing so it looks like i was on the rigjht track. I think with the right design i will be able to keep it under my goal of 40 lbs, thats what prototypes are for, i think i will build the first chassis out of steel so i can get the hang of working with smaller tubing and finalize my chassis design, and i could be the snot out of it for tyesting to see what works for the final chassis. And lastly, im still clueless on which way i want to go about making the body, as the 2012 wrx adopted the widebody of the sti in 2011, which as beautiful as it is, is going to be a PITA to maske it look good when i do make the body. I may look into seeing if i can find some blueprints like the fella did making the 08 hatchback.