Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

125 cc atv motor for a large scale rc?

would a 125 cc 4 stroke motor with a automatic transmission possibly work in a large scale rc car? i found a place that sells them at a decent price, only problem i see is possibly the gearing in the transmission, the 8000 rpm redline (which is in conjunction with the tranny gearing), and of course the big woozy, the weight. if you were to gear it correctly would it be possiblt to use it in a 1/4 or 1/3 scale car?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 125 cc atv motor for a large scale rc?

Way to heavy for any kind of speed,unless you gear it down.Then you willhave nowill have no top speed.Look for the lightest engine you can use and get a good clutch.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KENDOG689

Way to heavy for any kind of speed,unless you gear it down.Then you willÂ*have noÂ*will have no top speed.Look for the lightest engine you can use and get a good clutch.
    These things are powerful enough to haul a 200 pound person up to about 50mph. Think small go cart with no one driving it.
    Her name was Lola. She was a show girl.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anything will work if it's done right.

It will be big and heavy but it will sure turn some heads when it's on the ground running.

Too heavy?
    For what?
    Too heavy to lift perhaps, but I can't see how a car with a 125cc motor will ever get too heavy unless it's made from a block of concrete with lead wheels.

No top speed....?
    How fast would you want something that size to go unless you've got a closed off track to run it on?
    A 1/3 scale car doing 50km/h would be plenty fast.
    With the right gearing and maybe a CVT it will work just fine.

It'll take some engineering, but similar things have been done in the past and there's no reason why a motor strong enough to carry 2 people won't work in a 1/3 scale car.

If it ain\'\'t broke..... pull it apart anyway!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

this is the engine assembly i was considering.http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...ducts_id/13936 it says it has 7.64 hp, but it also has 5.9 ft lbs (or 8 N.m) of torque. i think if i got the gearing correct and kept the weight down i could have super fast acceleration along with a good top speed because of the multiple gears. Dirty vinyl, how would i go about making it have CVT? i simply understand what it does but not a clue how to engineer it(im a body man at a shop, not an engineer LOL).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how would i go about making it have CVT?
    Get one from an old scooter or something similar.
    You might have to modify the in and outputs a bit though.

this is the engine assembly i was considering.http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...ducts_id/13936
    I just had a look at that link (couldn't get it to work earlier).
    Am a bit confused about the "Automatic Transmission" part.... does that mean it's has some sort of gearbox in it, or just that it's one speed....[&:]

the pictures don't make it very clear either.
    There's more detailed pictures of the box it comes in than the motor itself

Have a chat to Csisco and Thorsten (on this forum) as they play with big cars and see what motors they use.
    Personally I'm a bit of a 2-stroke freak, and would go for a huge chainsaw motor or something....

I'd also be a bit wary about this bit:
    "This engine assembly comes with Intake pipe, Drive sprocket, Sprocket cover & Spark Plug but doesn't come with Carburetor, Battery, CDI, Voltage Regulator, Ingition Coil, etc"

That's a lot of parts that aren't included.
    What else comes under "etc" ?

Look in to that first before spending your $$$

If it ain\'\'t broke..... pull it apart anyway!