Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

How waterproof is the HPI Baja 5SC?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

How waterproof is the HPI Baja 5SC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How waterproof is the HPI Baja 5SC?

My 5SC has never seen water, mud or wet grass, but, as I look out on my muddy driveway I have an itch to take it out. I've constantly seen pics of the 5SC at races, covered in mud or water. And I remember reading "Project 5SC" in a recent issue of RCCA that was being driven in mud. What are they doing to waterproof it?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:59 PM
jimjeep

Default RE: How waterproof is the HPI Baja 5SC?

There are many things you can do to "waterproof" the electronics in any RC (us old timers have been doing it since the hobby began). Your first concern is your receiver/batt box (you can always buy waterproof servos if you don't want to waterproof them yourself). Best thing I've seen is if you can find a Tupperware style container that your basic radio equipment will fit into (the hard clear plastic ones they sell at the grocery store with the four sides that snap down tight are awesome) and figure where you're going to need the wires to exit it (1 spot only please) and cut a hole just big enough to squeeze them all through. Buy servo extensions just long enough to run from the receiver out of the new radio equipment box to a clear and easy place to plug your servos, lights, etc. into (this will make it much easier to replace an individual component like a broken servo without killing and having to redo your nice sealing job). Tape your receiver, fail safe, on/off power switch (yes the switch should go into the box too), and Velcro or strap (or Velcro-strap evennn!) the batt pack down in there. Then where the wires are running through the hole (clean area with some window cleaner first to eliminate mold release) and put a nice blob of aquarium sealant or automotive silicone rtv sealant (the sensor safe stuff is best to use around electrical equipment) around the wires to the box on the inside of the box over lapping the edge of the hole (you may want to use a little tape on the outside so the sealant doesn't run anywhere). Wait approximately 24 hours or whatever the tube says is the full cure time, pull off the tape on the outside and smear a nice blob on the outside now trying to keep your seal bubble-free and built up past the edge of the hole all around (this will prevent the wires and sealant from pulling loose). Fasten the box into to your model (I like to use Velcro or Scotch-lock rather than double sided tape or straps) if you must put additional holes in it to run screws be sure to seal them up with sealant also. When you connect your servos, etc. to the extensions you will use a finger cut from a neoprene glove as a "sealing sleeve" over the connection. First slide the "sleeve" over one wire and make your connection, wrap a little "clingy" plastic cooking wrap around the joined connectors (will help keep them together and pad our sleeve from getting cut on the edges of the connectors), slide the sleeve over the connector (make sure your sleeves are longer than the connection), fasten a small wire tie tightly around each open end and follow up with a dab of the silicone sealant in each end to keep any moisture out and that's most of it! Remember after running open everything up as much as possible, inspect for water entry,give it a quick once over with a towel and let it dry-out! (WARNING: don't ever dry-off your model with compressed air! You will only blow water deeper into the places you don't want it!) Oil everything steel! Shafts, and outdrives, bearings, shock shafts, screw heads, etc. to keep them from rusting! WD-40, lubriplate, 3in1 oil, even ATF, all work fine. Now your model will be fresh and ready for the next day you want to run it! Now go out there and have fun tearin'-up that muddy driveway! Good Luck! [8D]
Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 PM
gueroaero

Thanks for the detail Jim
Old 01-27-2013, 05:03 PM
GT100
My Feedback: (1)

Batteries are a little difficult but one thing I've seen use is really heavy diff oil. Like 100k or above. What I've seen done is opening the actual electronic thing you want waterproof, then spray it with WD40, then let the diff oil drip on them and cover them back up and wipe off the excess oil. Then plastidip the outside. They sell this stuff at just about any hardware stuff. It comes in a can and its like a liquid rubber. You dip what you want into it, take it out and let it dry. Takes about a minute or so.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 AM
Plague

With a HPI 5x I do not beleive you have to do anything.....
Isn't the radiobox pretty well sealed on this one?

I know that a lot of FG/Elcon drivers doesn't do much. If anthing.....
Some of us are using things like "plasti dip" or similar, then simply covers the radiobox's joints in this stuff and where the wires comes out.