Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Bought a used 5B

Old 11-11-2012, 05:34 PM
psrumors
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a used 5B

which I think is a v1 RTR. Am I correct?

I have always wanted a 5T but this one showed up at the local pawn shop so I took a chance and made an offer, was surprised when they accepted it....$300 :clap:

There is quite a bit of rash but nothing is broken. There is one screw along with a few clips missing, and as you can see, the body is shot. The pull start seems a little iffy as it doesn't always engage but may just need to be cleaned. That is all I can find thus far.

After buying a charger, adding a little gas and tightening everything up the thing runs like a champ. Ran it for about a hour without issue. My last RC vehicle was a Revo converted to 2wd with an oversized engine, this thing is a beast comparatively.

Have a few questions;

1 - Is it normal to have a slight rattle from the clutch?

2 - I plan to pull the buggy apart and do a good cleaning, other than broken pieces is there anything else I should look for? Pieces known to be stressed?

3 - I see many refer to a CY engine but the sticker on this engine is CE. Is it a replacement engine?

4 - Anything you more knowledgable people see that needs attention, out of the ordinary, etc?

Thanks in advance

Video of the wife's first drive.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 PM
DarkFire989

Default RE: Bought a used 5B

300 bucks, that's a pretty good deal. Welcome to the Baja club!

1 - Is it normal to have a slight rattle from the clutch?
I want to say no, but I have not driven mine in awhile. It is really easy to access the clutch.

2 - I plan to pull the buggy apart and do a good cleaning, other than broken pieces is there anything else I should look for? Pieces known to be stressed?
Look at the clutch pads and see if they are worn. Look at the dog bones and see if they are bent / rotated.

3 - I see many refer to a CY engine but the sticker on this engine is CE. Is it a replacement engine?
CE has to do with some European thing. See here [link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking[/link]. That is indeed a CY Motor on that Baja. It would say on the crank case a serial number dictating that its a 23cc CY engine.

4 - Anything you more knowledgable people see that needs attention, out of the ordinary, etc?
Things to get besides parts that are worn.
Failsafe
Outerwears on Air Filter
New Exhaust, will make it go significantly faster
Also looks like the underbody plastics are missing as well
TGN Redneck Filter
Yamadude Linkage

I go to Daves Discount Motors for all my Baja stuff. They have a ton of parts.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

CE is i think seen on the plastic cover of the engine...it looks like a cy23 engine..
1st upgrade you want to get is a ddm clutch cover...
Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 AM
psrumors
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 AM
madmax93

I agree a new pipe will make it scream! i suggest a ddm dominator (v1 i think) pipe.