Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Brushless Losi 5ive T Gearing..?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Brushless Losi 5ive T Gearing..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:54 PM
x-driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Losi 5ive T Gearing..?

I have the RC Madness v2 brushless kit installed with the 16t pinion that came with it. The stock spur on the Losi 5t is a 58t. I bought a RR 20t pinion with the 20 size engine inserts and it won’t bolt up. It’s obvious I need a smaller spur but what size..? Or does the shafts line up different from a gas engine vs an electric motor..?

<o></o>

Questions:<o></o>

What’s the biggest pinion I can use with the 58t spur..? <o></o>

Or<o></o>

What’s the biggest spur I can use with the 20t pinion..? Thx in advance..!!!<o></o>

Old 03-16-2013, 04:40 AM
sparky 25

Default RE: Brushless Losi 5ive T Gearing..?

What motor and cells are you running?

I converted a rovan 4wd truck from 26cc gas to 730kv motor running 8s and 16t pinion,

As the stock gas engine was running a 16t pinion I thought I'd stick with it, but have recently bought a Robinson 14t pinion just to give it a little more off the line kick,

Is it possible for you to go up a cell or two instead of changing out the pinion?

Or is your esc maxxed out with your current lipo cell count.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:14 AM
sparky 25

Dp[:@]
Old 03-16-2013, 06:38 AM
x-driver

ORIGINAL: sparky 25

What motor and cells are you running?

I converted a rovan 4wd truck from 26cc gas to 730kv motor running 8s and 16t pinion,

As the stock gas engine was running a 16t pinion I thought I'd stick with it, but have recently bought a Robinson 14t pinion just to give it a little more off the line kick,

Is it possible for you to go up a cell or two instead of changing out the pinion?

Or is your esc maxxed out with your current lipo cell count.

It has plenty of low end power but lags top end with the 58/16. I’m sure it would perform great on a track but I’m looking to gear to temps and get more top end. According to the Castle’s log and my temp gun, my max temps are only 75F degrees on a full run. It was 45F degrees outside and drove it on and off road mostly at WOT. And yes my esc is maxed out.<o></o>The pics show I’m running mechanical brakes which I’m no longer using cause they would get to hot (220F) and start sticking. My temps of 75F was with esc brakes @ 80% with no drag.

Castle Creations XL2/ 2028 motor
CC Cap Packs
16/58 gearing
x2 4s 5300mah 70c series for 8s power

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52496.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1862686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14053.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1862687  
Old 03-16-2013, 07:43 AM
sparky 25

With the 780kv motor and 8s lipo you will be running 26208rpm

The stock 26 zenoah will only rev to around 18000rpm,

Can't believe that the brushless conversion kit leaves no room for taller pinion gears,

I mean surley they thought that some buyers would like to go to a higher tooth count on their pinion,

Is there any extra material left on the alloy motor mount to allow you slot the holes to get the motor over further?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 AM
sparky 25

I just looked at the vids of the losi brushless conversion on DDm,

it shows that they recommend the MGM compro 12-63v / 250A capable of upto 14s lipo,

Looks like they designed the brushless kit to run with a 14s esc
Old 03-16-2013, 10:37 AM
x-driver

ORIGINAL: sparky 25

With the 780kv motor and 8s lipo you will be running 26208rpm

The stock 26 zenoah will only rev to around 18000rpm,

Can't believe that the brushless conversion kit leaves no room for taller pinion gears,

I mean surley they thought that some buyers would like to go to a higher tooth count on their pinion,

Is there any extra material left on the alloy motor mount to allow you slot the holes to get the motor over further?

I’ll have to check out those inserts I have cause I think I may be able to make it work. But what I need to know first is if anybody ever tried a 20/58 with a different conversion kit with the CC esc/motor or what other gearing option I can use with this RC Madness V2 kit. <o></o>

BTW anybody that wants to run the BL5 RC Madness v2 conversion with the Modified RC Center Diff Mount won’t be able to run any brake discs in the rear cause it will rub the BL5 V2 motor mount. You can run single or dual discs in the front of the mount but they just got too hot for me so I took them out and now using esc braking which is good cause I get to use reverse when bashing. To run mechanical brakes with a Spektrum DX3s radio you will have to reverse the motor in the Data link, turn of the reverse option, disable the brake (custom) to 0% and reverse the brake linkage and brake cams.<o></o>