Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Trouble starting new Turnigy Thunderbolt

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Trouble starting new Turnigy Thunderbolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:31 AM
subbass
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trouble starting new Turnigy Thunderbolt

25 to 1?Sounds like to much oil to me and is fouling your plug.Manual my be wrong?I would try 40 to 1 and a new plug.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:43 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: xyshannen

No disrespect taken Max. I am curious how turning the motor over with the plug not fitted can kill your coil? Not that I'm doubting you I'm just always open to learning new things.

*sigh* hangs head in shame. After re adjusting the coil clearance it still did not fire. So the engine got used as batting practice. Dumb? yeah but at least I feel better.
Pritty much what The Shard said... A really easy to put it....
If the spark has no where to go,where does it go..... generally the negitave terminal on the coil, arching internally or externally
u might be lucky...itmight of been externally check to see if there are any markson the coil from the base of the lead, if so clean it, and recheck spark.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:23 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, is there anyone in the Jacksonville area that can help this dude?? Geesh[&:]
Old 03-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: subbass

25 to 1?Sounds like to much oil to me and is fouling your plug.Manual my be wrong?I would try 40 to 1 and a new plug.

40:1 is way too lean on the oil unless you are using some kind of incredible synthetic. 32:1 is what people usually run when they go down a bit in oil content. 25:1 is the standard for all 23-30cc 2 strokes.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 AM
Foxy

It was the coil, if you were straining to see the spark in a dark room you definitely had a coil problem. A good spark can be seen in sunlight. All moot now, at least you can get a Zenoah and enjoy a really good engine.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:44 AM
raptureboy

Looks like someone needs to spend some time in the gas engine forum. To properly diagnose an engine problem you need to take it one step at a time eliminating each link in the chain until you find the weak one. These china engines could have any number of issues, the plugs are always the first thing to go then a thorough going over with locktite. If you don't get a pop with the choke in 3-5 pulls there is some kind of fuel or spark issue. Bad ignitions are not uncommon and you should have a bright spark in even daylight. I have seen small metal particles inside the carb from machining so check there also if there no fuel or even persistant flooding.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:25 PM
mooman007uk

i would have suggested looking at the stop button...
Old 03-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Lars from Norway

I was thinking of that too, mooman, but that was until i read he had spark on the plug.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:37 PM
xyshannen

Yeah I pretty much exhausted all options that don't involve spending more $ on a motor I know i will replace eventually anyhow. It's a pain but no real loss. My comments about the batting practice were meant to be funny as i was just really blowing off steam. I'm not even really interested in trying to get HK to send me a new motor. Shipping would still be more than I would want to spend or throw away depending on how you look at it. Instead I cannibalized the motor for some carb parts for an old backpack blower I had laying around. I'll sell it on clist to help soften the blow of a new motor next month. There is always a silver lining. lol
Old 03-08-2013, 04:26 PM
ratpower396

try taking the air filter off when i had troubles starting my car for the first time it would only start with the air filter off then I could get it tuned so it starts normally now..
Old 03-08-2013, 04:48 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I pretty much exhausted all options that don't involve spending more $ on a motor I know i will replace eventually anyhow. It's a pain but no real loss. My comments about the batting practice were meant to be funny as i was just really blowing off steam. I'm not even really interested in trying to get HK to send me a new motor. Shipping would still be more than I would want to spend or throw away depending on how you look at it. Instead I cannibalized the motor for some carb parts for an old backpack blower I had laying around. I'll sell it on clist to help soften the blow of a new motor next month. There is always a silver lining. lol
if u are going to get a new motor, do alot of research.

bigger is not allways better in a 2wd.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 PM
mopartybob

take the coil outta that backpack blower.............. [:-]
Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 PM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sheared flywheel key..... engine is way out of time.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:58 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

if u are going to get a new motor, do alot of research.

bigger is not allways better in a 2wd.
When replacing the motor in a 2wd gasser, get a stock Zenoah 26cc, no mods, no bull, no problem. I dabbled with modded engines for a very short time, and found that headkits just make mills unreliable, and full mod engines often have narrower powerbands. The stock Zen 26 makes great power and keeps on truckin forever.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:15 PM
The_Shark

mine fired up in three pulls, idle screw was a little too high and low end was 1/8 too lean but other than that, pretty much spot on.

she runs like a top and after 3 tanks in its feeling more and more lively. schweet car man!

hey foxy, did you ever find out how to lock up that diff? I tried silly putty today with no avail, so i had to clean the putty out and re-pack it with grease (2 hour process)
Old 05-18-2013, 06:56 AM
Mincy26

I had problems starting mine up after it died, so I took a zenoah g230 rc engine and put on my thunder bolt