Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Opinions on the FG Monster Truck?

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Opinions on the FG Monster Truck?

Old 04-07-2013, 02:53 AM
Zonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on the FG Monster Truck?

Looking at the Hobbyking FG monster trucks (clones?). They seem like good value but I have no idea what their build is like. I bought a Baja off them last year mainly as bashing toy (have a real HI Baja as well) and so far its proven to be excellent value.

The Monster truck looks ok and most comments seem positive but material and build quality make me a bit concerned.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:44 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Opinions on the FG Monster Truck?

Don't do it...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11441898
Old 04-08-2013, 04:59 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first large scale MT was an FG, they're awesome. I bought a normal one with no hop ups or anything, I still have it and it's gotten tons of use. FG's factory parts are of pretty good quality and the engineering is simple so they're fun to work on too. A couple years ago I bought the competition model alloy 4x4 MT, which unfortunately I barely ran but through the build I was impressed with things.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP means the Hobbyking clones, not the real deal.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:34 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search in this section. There was a guy who got one and wasn't happy.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 PM
mickieb49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi , bought one of these 4x4 monster trucks from hobby king just a short time ago with a view to putting all the FG alloy parts on it, so far i have completed it and have had one run of it untill the rear diff self decintergrated!  I was going to replace the diffs anyway to FG ones. 
  During the teardown to replace all the alloy parts i discovered that one of the front CV joints had one of the ball bearings out of line wiht the others and hence was binding up, also discovered that the main drive belt cover was installed incorrectly allowing for the belt to rub and bind against it'self,  was no problem as i just flipped the lower half of the cover over to seperate the belt and was all good.
   The posts of the servo mount are way too flexible and as such i turned up some from alloy on the lathe.  The steering servo't were not centered when they put the servo arms on them so as such put extra load on it all

You may ask on why i didn't just go out and buy the competition FG monster truck?   well basically i just saved myseld nearly $1k doing it all this way and i also managed to put  Hydro's all round for that price too.
   If you buy one of these trucks, sure they are good value for the $400 price tag, just allow time to completely strip down the whole truck to recheck it all and allow a few extra $$ to put the good stuff on it as it breaks.  And yes the FG truck parts fit straight on it.
Cheers Mick