Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Looking to buy a used HPI Baja

Old 12-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbuzzard
That is totally not the case...the new buggy doesn't share the same platform/parts...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWAEcEtKN98
Hmmm...that does look different than the SC...

Originally Posted by bbuzzard
That's the best bet...then you will have a better grasp on how to fix things when you need to do repairs or upgrades
Thanks! Yeah thats also what I was thinking. I'll probably get the Baja 5B SS because after thinking some more, I figured that even for the smaller scales I have to save up money anyway, so why not go big or go home?
Old 12-12-2013, 08:12 AM
mooman007uk

just for reference my buddy has over 10 very hard tanks on his 5ive, hard meaning running a 30.5 full mod, flat out racing on a sandy/gravelly track with many severe tumbles,cartwheels etc and the only parts that has needed to be replaced was a bent front a arm hinge pin (and the body is cracked everywhere but nothing shoo goo can't fix) and 2 cvd's so in 10+tanks repair bill = 40bucks (and the rest of it is still tight, little wear on the drive cups etc)

i'd assume the new losi buggy will use the plastics and metals already spec'd for the 5ive regardless of who or where it is made so imagine the new buggy will be equally robust...really can't see losi releasing a pos...by the time you're ready to drop the bomb this buggy will be tried and tested...
Old 12-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Microz

Originally Posted by mooman007uk
just for reference my buddy has over 10 very hard tanks on his 5ive, hard meaning running a 30.5 full mod, flat out racing on a sandy/gravelly track with many severe tumbles,cartwheels etc and the only parts that has needed to be replaced was a bent front a arm hinge pin (and the body is cracked everywhere but nothing shoo goo can't fix) and 2 cvd's so in 10+tanks repair bill = 40bucks (and the rest of it is still tight, little wear on the drive cups etc)

i'd assume the new losi buggy will use the plastics and metals already spec'd for the 5ive regardless of who or where it is made so imagine the new buggy will be equally robust...really can't see losi releasing a pos...by the time you're ready to drop the bomb this buggy will be tried and tested...
Thanks that sounds great! I'll be able to handle one then hopefully.

Thanks for the info on the losi buggy!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:39 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooman007uk

Moo, You know better than assume anything with these manfuacturers...
Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Microz

Alright so I've officially decided that I'm going to settle on the HPI Baja 5B SS kit. I figure that no matter what scale RC car I get, I'm going to have to save money for parts anyway, so why not go for broke and just freaking go big? Of course, I'll still have my scaler(s) since those are the only small scale cars I can see myself not getting out of. But the 1/5 should be great fun for on the track!
Old 12-14-2013, 09:35 AM
madmax93

Just a little of my experience with large scale. First the engines run and tune (actually i have not had to tune mine yet) much better than nitros. They may not be as fast as some
nitros but i think they are way more fun. So now to what i have and the issues i have run into. I have a king motor krs002. I have replaced both the throttle and the steering servos,
and the engine (long story) with an hpi 26cc which is great. I blew out the rear tires and bought some badlands that fit right on the king motor rims. I also bought a ddm dominator
pipe that in my opinion was well worth the money. Lastly i got a killer bee kill switch which was recommended by many. So all told, i spent about $710. What ever you decide on, just have fun with it.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:36 AM
madmax93

Just a little of my experience with large scale. First the engines run and tune (actually i have not had to tune mine yet) much better than nitros. They may not be as fast as some
nitros but i think they are way more fun. So now to what i have and the issues i have run into. I have a king motor krs002. I have replaced both the throttle and the steering servos,
and the engine (long story) with an hpi 26cc which is great. I blew out the rear tires and bought some badlands that fit right on the king motor rims. I also bought a ddm dominator
pipe that in my opinion was well worth the money. Lastly i got a killer bee kill switch which was recommended by many. So all told, i spent about $710. What ever you decide on, just have fun with it.
sorry for double post, darn internet explorer.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Microz

Originally Posted by madmax93
sorry for double post, darn internet explorer.
Sweet thanks for your post! Looks like its not too bad after all (and more fun than the smaller scales). The Baja 5B comes with the HPI 26cc so I'm looking forward to that.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:37 AM
Microz

Well I thought I would just update. I finally have ordered my first 1/5 scale. Its the Losi Desert Buggy XL!!! Ordered it yesterday, but can't open it up until March 9th since thats my bday. I went with this because the reviews so far have been pretty good, its 4wd, and has a simpler chassis design than the HPI. I'm pretty excited!