Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

New to RC in general. looking for a large scale 1/5th but on a budget

RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New to RC in general. looking for a large scale 1/5th but on a budget

Old 01-25-2014, 07:14 PM
ocn4lc4pon3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New to RC in general. looking for a large scale 1/5th but on a budget

Ok where to start. I am new to the world of RC. I have been a gamer since forever & I am ready to move onto new things. I ran into a couple of people who were running 30cc gas powered 1/5th scale RC's and I fell in love but there stuff was a bit expensive. I dont know where to start looking. I came across a Red Cat Racing site & dont hate on me I am not sure if they are good or bad. Prices are reasonable

such as this Rampage XB: http://www.amazon.com/Redcat-Racing-...racing+rampage

Red cat Chimera: http://www.amazon.com/Redcat-Racing-...racing+chimera

I would like to stay at 1000 or less on purchasing one as Im sure I will need other things. What are your thoughts. I want to do Offroad so a MT, Buggy, etc... is what im looking for

Last edited by ocn4lc4pon3; 01-25-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:19 PM
bentley marshall

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

get a losi DBXL
Old 01-25-2014, 11:31 PM
ocn4lc4pon3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

very nice but 23cc? even red cat has 30cc. I will wait to see what others think also but thx
Old 01-26-2014, 01:23 AM
ttoks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ignore then engine when buying an RTR RC.

with almost any large scale, there's no such thing as a budget car, almost anything you buy will need money spent for upgrades unless you buy an ELCON (and at 3k not including engine or electronics they're not cheap).

i've recently bought a NUTECH thunderbolt 3 for $650, with the understanding that i'll need to upgrade it, so far i've spent another $330 on alloy upgrades, with about another $300 planned, once i've got the bits sorted i want, it will come in at less then a stock LOSI 5ive, and be more reliable.

the other option, is buy a second-hand car the someone else has already upgraded, for cost effectiveness, this is the best way to go.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:59 PM
pcarluvr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
ignore then engine when buying an RTR RC.

with almost any large scale, there's no such thing as a budget car, almost anything you buy will need money spent for upgrades unless you buy an ELCON (and at 3k not including engine or electronics they're not cheap).

i've recently bought a NUTECH thunderbolt 3 for $650, with the understanding that i'll need to upgrade it, so far i've spent another $330 on alloy upgrades, with about another $300 planned, once i've got the bits sorted i want, it will come in at less then a stock LOSI 5ive, and be more reliable.

the other option, is buy a second-hand car the someone else has already upgraded, for cost effectiveness, this is the best way to go.
Where are you finding parts for your Thunderbolt III? Oh, wait, you're in Australia. Well, where you get them and do they ship to the U.S.?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 PM
ocn4lc4pon3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what do you guys think of the Baja 5B 2.0 w/2.4 GHz Gun tower has one for 1084 but has a 72.00 off code which brings it down to 1022 or should Iook at something else. Im finding it hard to buy these redcat gas powered RC's ive been reading alot & there not looking so good
Old 02-04-2014, 10:23 AM
jeffdearduff
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Take a look at the KM Baja or the Rovan baja. Don't throw your money away on the HPI. There is no reason to spend $500.00 plus on a car when you don't have to. Did you know that KM is the original baja not hpi. HPI is the real clone, not KM.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:53 PM
pcarluvr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by jeffdearduff View Post
Take a look at the KM Baja or the Rovan baja. Don't throw your money away on the HPI. There is no reason to spend $500.00 plus on a car when you don't have to. Did you know that KM is the original baja not hpi. HPI is the real clone, not KM.
Is that really true? KM was first and HPI copied?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:30 PM
jeffdearduff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is very true. Km made the first baja to sale in Asia and Australia. Hpi bought the rights from them and sold them in the US.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:43 AM
huw4027

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would advise you to get the Losi DBXL buggy...trust me it is better to buy Quality than
buy cheapness and try to upgrade to quality cause it will cost you much more !!!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:04 AM
jeffdearduff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by huw4027 View Post
I would advise you to get the Losi DBXL buggy...trust me it is better to buy Quality than
buy cheapness and try to upgrade to quality cause it will cost you much more !!!
I can tell you from experience that even with upgrades you still spend less money then you would on the other buggies.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-King-Mot...item43c1023eb6
The link I just put on here comes with many of the upgrades already installed. So this one cost a lot less then a HPI. There is nothing wrong with the Losi. I just like to let people know that there are other options. I am someone who likes a good deal. And when I find one I like to share it with other people. I also enjoy working on these trucks and changing things around. I can sometimes get tired of the truck. And if I do I can just put anther body or cage on it and you have a new truck. I am easy that way. I am sure you will be happy with what ever you buy.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:23 AM
huw4027

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well it is your decision and please be aware that the vehicle that you had a link to is 2wd.
There is a saying " not everything that glitters is gold "

Last edited by huw4027; 02-07-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:59 AM
jeffdearduff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In my opinion 2wd is more fun to drive. The 4wd loss has a lot more control. The baja is more of a challenge to drive and I like that. that might not be the case for a lot of people.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:00 PM
phmaximus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In my opinion 2wd are not any more fun that a 4wd. My losi 5ive is just as fun as any baja. Because of the centre diff u can still slide it around the place.

from what I've seen of the BAJA's at the track, they are not even on the same page as the losi when it comes to reliability. And they are slow around the track. If going slow is your thing then yes it's more fun.

Allso from experience with 2wd off-roaders in 1/10 scale, 2wd are only fast on a high traction track. Off road they can be extremely frustrating on dirt if u try and match the pace of a 4x4

Sus this.... No way I baja could hold a drift like this on gravel... The losi did it with ease, that was the first run after running it it

all I'm saying really think about what u want. 2wd is great but a lot of baja owners eventually sell out for a losi or MCD generally due to durability/reliability issues.... And secondly performance
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	163559.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1966383  
Old 02-07-2014, 05:24 PM
jeffdearduff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Things must run different down there in Australia. When a Baja can go 40+ MPH then I think thats pretty fast around a track. I think the Losi 5ive is about the same speed. In a straight line its probably slower because of the 4WD. Now around a track the loss is going to appear faster because it is easier to handle because its 4WD. The Baja's are very reliable. And a lot of fun to drive. I don't get the durability issues. Do parts on your baja just break? If I Hit a rock or something maybe, but even then I have not had a lot of problems with things breaking or going bad.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:56 PM
On2_n_On4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

oh lord... losi fans