RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Baja 5sc will not start

Old 07-30-2014, 03:35 AM
RoverDriver77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Baja 5sc will not start

Guys, I'm sure this subject has been beat to death but I can't seem to find a thread that helps yet. My Baja 5sc with a Fuelie 26cc engine will not start. When I bought it I was able to start it and I ran it about two or three minutes and the throttle servo went out. The car was basically out of control except steering so I had to flip it over to keep from hurting someone. I replaced servo but I have not been able to start it since. I have spark. Fuel cap is not plugged. I have new spark plug with strong bright spark. I tuned the original carb back to factory specs and finally I installed a new carb. I precisely mixed fresh fuel 25:1. I have enough compression to blow my thumb off spark hole when pulling the start cord. My kill switch seems to work (I get spark without it pressed and none when it is pressed). I have tried dribbling fuel into the spark hole with not even a pop! I have choked it, flooded it, dried it out and yanked on it again and again with nary a hint of ignition. Can anyone take a guess at what I can try next?
Old 07-30-2014, 03:55 AM
Ttowntoolman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Perhaps over revved the engine and killed it quickly when servo went out. Maybe sheared the key off to the flywheel on the engine.....now it is firing the spark out of time. Just something to check....
Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 AM
RoverDriver77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow! That sounds like it could be the issue. How would I check that. I will assume I'll need to pull the engine out?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Ttowntoolman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the simplest way would be to pull out spark plug and find top dead center of the crank rotation. (piston all the way up) Make a mark on the flywheel or something that you can see easily that rotates when you pull it over. Now pull it over and check that the spark timing is close to top dead center. (spark plug sparks when piston is up) It is a visual check to make sure spark timing is close. You will want to confirm there is a problem before going through the work of pulling it all apart to see if the key is sheared.

I got a used up duratrax firehammer real cheap. The reason I got it cheap was because the owner could not get it to start. The key that holds the flywheel in time to the crank was broken. Would have been a cheap fix but the flywheel was torn up where the key seats into it and both had to be replaced.