Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

large rc classic mini help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 AM
rhys1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question large rc classic mini help

hi guys im new here wonder if anyone can help me with my up coming project

ive been wanting to start building my own rc car for a few years now but never knew what to do and how big to do it
so ive decided that i want to make my first car.

now ive decided on a classic mini style as ive not seen one yet. the car itself will have a mini shell obviously but for the rest of it im not sure

i would like a huge thing but then not to big i was thinking about designing it round a set of race go kart wheels which are 5 or 6" think the front wheels are 10x 4.50 x 5" so what i need basicly is help designing it around the wheels the shell itself will have to be custom made but i think i can get that sorted through a friend as the build itself will be for show as a few people i work with are part of flintshire classic mini club. some of the more complicated bits i will have to get machined but then thats a highlight of working in a machine shop

is any one willing to help me design a chassis for my build and what sort of scale i would be looking at with the wheels

thanks for any help its much appreciated
Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 AM
rhys1234

btw im planning on running it using a 49cc midi moto engine or something along those lines and hopefully it will be situated under the bonnet like the car itself and battery in the boot
Old 08-19-2014, 11:34 AM
C.lyra

Nice project, i must say... Take a look here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-g...rt-engine.html
Old 08-19-2014, 12:52 PM
rhys1234

thanks hopefully i will be able to start building it soon but do i build chassis or shell first its gonna be roughly 37 inch long and 25 inch wide i think
Old 08-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you really need to do first is lookup measurements for the Mini you're modeling the body after. With the full size measurements and you wanting the car approx 3ft long you can then scale the body down to that. I'd make some cardboard or even thin plywood templates of the body's profile. Better yet make 2 profiles, space them the correct width apart and use 1/2"x1/2" pieces of wood at the top of windshield , bottom of windshield (the corners of the profile) to space the side profile pieces apart and create a rough body. This rough body is a cheap easy way to mess around with proportions, wheel arches, help determine wheel/tire size and could even be finished to use as a buck for the finished body. It would also come in handy while making the chassis to determine ride height, component placement, etc.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 08-19-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:10 AM
Leeber

If you can learn Google/Trimble Sketchup (its free and pretty easy to learn if you have basic computer knowledge) heres a link to
a free mini model you can download and get basic measurements from..
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...53cbf02721c347
(its probably drawn at 1:1 size so just scale it down within sketchup and take you measurements.)
Old 08-20-2014, 02:16 AM
Leeber

Converted to inches for your viewing pleasure..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FF_Model_ID3998_1_MiniCooper.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	2023781  
Old 08-22-2014, 08:56 AM
rhys1234

thanks guys if the real mini wheels are 12-13" and he ones im going o be using are 5" what would the scale be? i drew 2 circles at 5"and 2 more to simulate the tyre btw tyre size is 10x 4.5" by 5" and my original 37" seems to short for them so 1 wheel on 0 and the end of the other wheel on 37" but loos way to small any one go a sugestion n a size ? thanks