Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Losi5ive-T project!! need advice!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Losi5ive-T project!! need advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Nzz966

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi5ive-T project!! need advice!!!

Hi guys, I am quite new to rc world and planning to start building Losi5ive-T. perhaps the first one in Azerbaijan. Kenny from TGN helped me to put lots of stuff together and i did my research and came up with some new things that i do not know how to use exactly. I am asking for a help from experienced project builders. The car is intended mainly for bashing and racing generally(sand and rocky terrain perhaps).here is the list of some upgrades:

1. O'NEILL BROTHERS RACING 9.7HP FULL MOD 38CC WIDOWMAKER ENGINE - BILLET CRANKCASE

2. http://www.tgndistributing.com/tur-l0001-rw.html (HD ENCLOSED CLUTCH CARRIER - RAW)

2.1 BARTOLONE 32CC TUNED PIPE FOR LOSI 5IVE W/ ZENOAH G320 - BLACK

3. http://www.tgndistributing.com/grabb...si-5ive-t.html ( do i need this one for the part in 2?)

4. http://www.tgndistributing.com/turtl...ull-start.html ( should i use this one?)

5. http://www.tgndistributing.com/hd-billet-cog.html ( upgrade for the 4?)

6. http://www.davesmotors.com/Crazy-Stu...Losi-5ive.html ( i saw guys installing this item as well, should i?)

7. http://www.davesmotors.com/vertigo-1...losi-5ive.html (alternative for 6? which one is better? 6 is more expensive, according to price 6 seems to better, how about experience?)

8. http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8964/.f ( anyone use this? is it easy to install? )

The choice of air filters:

1. Hyper-Charger Air Filter for LOSI 5IVE with inner cooler airbox by RBinnovations

2. sm103 - Turtle Racing Billet Air Filter Box for Losi 5ive (Clamp-On Filter Version)

3. dtl-1 low profile filter triple foam and v-stack

which one would be the most effective choice in my case?

Thank you

I need help on the above questions guys.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using #3 together with #2 might be a good idea to make the cluth run cooler as the system is closed up. #4 and #5 together is also maybe a good idea as this engine might be harder to yank around because of the increased compression compared to a stock one.

The 6, 7 and 8 wil do the same, but it seems that #6 is the toughest one. But are you going to lock up all the diffs, or just the center one?

I have no experience with the Losi, just speaking in general here. But whatever the brand is the parts has similar functions.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Nzz966

Just center would be enough, if i had a chance to lock and unlock diffs from the transmitter i would do all)
Old 10-07-2014, 03:15 PM
mooman007uk

why do you want 9.7hp? on a track it'll be overpowered

1.throw in an obr losi 30.5...all the power you'll need
2.go for an open carrier
2. I run a standard VRC pipe, lighter than the bartelone but very similar on power output
3. stock bell is fine or go for the vertigo hex gear bell
4.no, they have had issues...i think they're on v3 now...stock pull starters are fine, and cheap
5. you wont need it if you don't buy #4
6. see 7
7. i've run one since day 1...light and strong with oring pin retainer and way cheaper than 6...more expensive doesn't mean it's better
8. the losi is really built for the track (it's not really a general basher though is as tough as nails) open diffs are your friend

i use a cut down, modified hpi housing and filter...cheap and effective

my buddy has the bartelone pipe so know that the standard vrc pipe weighs less but gives similar performance...the vrc propipe will still weigh less but give a bit more power than the bart...we both run obr 30.5 losi full mod motors, vertigo centre diff lockers etc so comparison is apples for apples

Last edited by mooman007uk; 10-07-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:24 AM
Nzz966

Originally Posted by mooman007uk
why do you want 9.7hp? on a track it'll be overpowered

1.throw in an obr losi 30.5...all the power you'll need
2.go for an open carrier
2. I run a standard VRC pipe, lighter than the bartelone but very similar on power output
3. stock bell is fine or go for the vertigo hex gear bell
4.no, they have had issues...i think they're on v3 now...stock pull starters are fine, and cheap
5. you wont need it if you don't buy #4
6. see 7
7. i've run one since day 1...light and strong with oring pin retainer and way cheaper than 6...more expensive doesn't mean it's better
8. the losi is really built for the track (it's not really a general basher though is as tough as nails) open diffs are your friend

i use a cut down, modified hpi housing and filter...cheap and effective

my buddy has the bartelone pipe so know that the standard vrc pipe weighs less but gives similar performance...the vrc propipe will still weigh less but give a bit more power than the bart...we both run obr 30.5 losi full mod motors, vertigo centre diff lockers etc so comparison is apples for apples
Thx for the useful info. Some questions:

1. why for open carrier? Does it matter if i drive it in dirt, sand and harsh terrain?

will take other advises into account once i start buying all the parts.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:40 AM
mooman007uk

the enclosed carrier allows heat to build up and then the clutch begins to fade, as the spring gets hot it becomes weaker.
99% of 5thscale rc's have open clutches and never have a problem with ingress of dirt, sand etc
Old 10-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Nzz966

Originally Posted by mooman007uk
the enclosed carrier allows heat to build up and then the clutch begins to fade, as the spring gets hot it becomes weaker.
99% of 5thscale rc's have open clutches and never have a problem with ingress of dirt, sand etc
Which brand would you advice to be the best choice?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:56 AM
Nzz966

What should i take into account if i use 9.7hp engine?
1. Aluminium Diff Cup?
2. Gear ratio?
3. Any upgrades for diff house?

What if i go with your suggested engine type? what should i upgrade or change from the above or any other parameter i might miss?

I do not want powerful engine to break other parts of my car or loosen things that i might miss.

thank you