Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

New Baja 5b Chewing Up Spur Gears. Help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New Baja 5b Chewing Up Spur Gears. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 07:09 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Baja 5b Chewing Up Spur Gears. Help!

Need some help with my 1st 5th scale anything. Just got a Baja 5b 2.0. It's Chewing Up Spur gears. They are not melting but being turned into powder. Not even one gallon of fuel and I'm on my third Spur. Coming from the world of 1/10 and 1/8 nitro it's easy to adjust the engine to get the gear mesh just right but I don't see that on the Baja. Check out the pics.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:59 AM
quietnas1

Any body out there with any help. I can't figure out why I keep chewing up spur gears.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:23 PM
quietnas1

Wow. 84 views and....... Never mind. I will just figure out on my own and post what I did to fix it. Hopefully it will help someone else out with a similar issue.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:01 PM
On2_n_On4

Get off the throttle when landing that thing! lol
Old 08-18-2015, 05:34 PM
quietnas1

So I took a closer look at the pinion/ clutch mount and noticed some warping. The bearing easily slides in and out and the pinion has a very, very small amount of play. I mean millimeters, but that could be causing my issue. I called HPI and they are sending me a new one at no cost. Maybe I have a defective part. They said if it happens with the new part to go ahead and call them back to see what else they can do. HPI customer service is awesome.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:57 PM
lightningmcnulty
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friends has a problem with the clutch bell carrier not holding the bearing correctly, the bearing seat is melting because the clutch is getting too hot and the extra play is causing all kinds of carnage.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:19 PM
quietnas1

Originally Posted by lightningmcnulty
my friends has a problem with the clutch bell carrier not holding the bearing correctly, the bearing seat is melting because the clutch is getting too hot and the extra play is causing all kinds of carnage.
I'm pretty sure that is what's happening with mines. If it happens again with the new carrier that HPI sends me then I'm going to try to have them send the HD one.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:14 PM
lightningmcnulty
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you I wouldn't even mess with it, the KM and rovan aluminum carriers are cheap and its not even worth the hassle of going out to use the car and being stuck with it broken. I ordered one for my car once I saw the issue with my friends, his was happening because his clutch was on the way out and generating excess heat I suspect yours is because the clutch isn't broken in yet and is causing excess heat.

as a side thought I know a lot of people change out the spur gear to alloy but I won't be doing that, I think having a $4 gear that takes 5 minutes to change out as the weak link in the drivetrain is good insurance against breaking something else.