Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Current KM vs. Rovan 5b quality questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Current KM vs. Rovan 5b quality questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Crunchy_Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Current KM vs. Rovan 5b quality questions

Hey guys I'm new to here and have a few questions.

First off has anyone have any experience with the recent KM and Rovan 5b buggys? I've read the whole KM is better than Rovan debate thing all over on here, but most of what I read was from 3+ years ago so that brings me to here to see if it's changed any.

I'm interested in one and as you already know there's more variations of it than you can shake a stick at. I'm looking at a 29cc KM-001 version which to my understanding is an earlier model designation but apparently doesn't really matter much? Since I'm sure eBay links aren't allowed on here it's listing number 292253863549 on there.

secondly, from my experience/ research a smaller cc engine will rev more but a larger cc engine will produce more low end power but may not rev as high. So that brings me to my second question. Is there really a difference in the 27.5cc engine and the 29cc engine in these? I see some with a 30.5cc engine would it be in my best interest to go with that model instead even if it's only listed in the rovan models?

When I get one of these I plan on upgrading to a different transmitter and also installing a super bee kill switch. The kill switch is definitely #1 priority though. I also know to basically tear down the whole buggy and make sure there's blue locktite on all the metal to metal screws, bolts, and nuts and to do a good once over before firing it up.

* So to sum all this up, is the quality pretty much the same between KM and Rovan these days? Besides the kill switch what other early on mods should I look into for reliability sake?

*** Also please no "just go buy an hpi" or any flaming, I've read enough of that in other threads. I'm just after current hands on opinions and experiences of the KM and Rovan models.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Crunchy_Captain

Ok, so I've done a little more digging and from what I've read the engine displacement all seems to be down to different cylinder and piston set ups and in some cases a different stroke crank.

So far I haven't found any in-depth differences between the rovan and KM clones other than price, name, and coloring of certain parts.

It also seems that the 29cc engine in the KM Baja 5b is a CY engine which are apparently clones of Zenoahs? I can't confirm that but it would make sense as they're practically identical. My only concern is the cylinder plating flaking off issue, is that still prevalent with the CY engines or have they resolved that?

And to add one final question the exhaust on the one I'm eyeing seems to be their generic hidden tuned pipe, is it worth it's weight or would you recommend something else like the dominator style pipe?
Old 10-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Crunchy_Captain

Do people still frequent the large scale sub forum?
Old 10-06-2017, 07:21 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So based on my almost ten years of experiencing the the typical backlash about the Rovan/KM/HPI debates, I feel as long as you have a contingency plan (ie spare cash) you will be fine in ether case. I had a KM originally and by the time I sold it, it was basically a HPI, LOL The harder you bash a 5th scale, the more you will break it regardless of the manufacturer. The engine quality between a CY and Zenoah is minute but that's another sore point for some. My 2cents
Old 10-06-2017, 02:21 PM
Crunchy_Captain

Thanks for your input, I had a goped with a zenoah on it and it was a stout little 23cc engine. It was worn out but it never gave up. I've read that the newer CY engines are much better than the older ones when the clones first started coming around.

I'm not too concerned with having to replace parts because we all know coming into this hobby that something will break eventually, I plan on ordering a killer bee kill switch and a better transmitter soon after getting a Baja just to play it safe. I'm pretty picky about my stuff so I try to take care of it unlike some people I've seen on forums lol. I don't really bash buggys like a lot of people but I am pretty hard so I don't think I'll have too many issues. I plan on running pj1 oil so if anything happens it'll come down to finding a weak point somewhere.

I'll hopefully be ordering one here in the next couple weeks so I still have time to research over things, I'll keep this updated as I find things out or as more people add on to this.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:29 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing to replace on either the Rovan or KM's are the electronics...other than that you'll be good! Have fun!