Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

H.A.R.M BX-1 v FG Leopard Race v LAUTERBACHER L3 Super-Cross

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

H.A.R.M BX-1 v FG Leopard Race v LAUTERBACHER L3 Super-Cross

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Doohan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H.A.R.M BX-1 v FG Leopard Race v LAUTERBACHER L3 Super-Cross

Hi...im looking to buy one of these cars and was hoping to hear from some owners.
What is the best car?...what mods have you done etc...any info on set up...some pics would be good too. Thanks
Old 10-18-2003, 01:00 PM
remten2001

Default RE: H.A.R.M BX-1 v FG Leopard Race v LAUTERBACHER L3 Super-Cross

I have the leopard race haven't had the chance to drive it yet...but iF you on the bugdet like i am i would go for the leopard race and there is a FG distributor not far from where I live so that is more reason i pick the FG leopard race....

If money is not a problem by all mean go with the LAUTERBACHER L3 Super-Cross i think its one of the best and most durable buggy you can buy but it is expensive....and you don't find LAUTERBACHER distributors everywhere....Problably its going to change in the future cause there will be more demand for there high quality producs....

The best place to buy the LAUTERBACHER L3 Super-Cross is from [link=http://www.netshop.nl/shop/rc/index.html]Krikke[/link]
Old 10-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Lost Down Under

I have just received my Lauterbacher.

WOW!

If you are after full on quality, there is no equal.
The fine tuning adjustments are next to none.
The only extras I would reccomend are the front discs (I like the cable for offroad) & the air box for better filtering & breathing.

The Krikke site is the way to go no matter which buggy you decide on.
GM Racing UK has some great shots of the Lauterbacher.
Sorry I haven't got any photos yet, I've only had it 4 days.

Paul.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Ropas

I have seen the new Lauterbacher Supercross drive for a few times now. It's very stable and is very easy to handle. Last weekend we had an Off-road competition in the Netherlands with 55 competitors, only one guy with a LB. Supercross in the field and he WON. There are no bad things to say about this car so far, only the rims aren't very strong.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:04 PM
remten2001

Ropas

Are there a lot of Leopard races?did you sell a lot of these?Or did FG hit a blind point with it?
Old 10-25-2003, 01:45 AM
Doohan

Hey Lost Down Under...how much did you pay for your Supercross and where did you buy it?..please put some photos up soon as i dont really know what it looks like.
I am looking at buying the FG Leopard Race or HARM BX-1...did you look at these cars?
Both are available from Australian distributors...$2495 AUS for the Leopard and $2900 for the BX-1. (cars only - stock no options)
BUT...i think its cheaper buying overseas and freighting it in. I can get this deal on the Leopard...prices are in Euro:
Leopard Race: $1073
Zenoah G260 26cc Modified tuning engine upgrade with big bore kit $152
They fit this before shipping. Engine has 5.1hp. compared to stock engine 2.7 hp
Front disc brakes $120
K&N Air filter $55
20/44 Gears for more speed!!! $40
Standard gears are 18/46
$1440 Euro
With freight and converted to AUS dollars it would be $2680 with import duty is comes to about $2950 AUS
Did you get any options fitted to your car and what radio gear are you installing?
Old 10-25-2003, 02:35 AM
Ropas

Hi Wizen,

The Leo Race isn't as populair as the Supercross, but me and my team mate are going to race with it the next season. We are rebuilding it, other suspension, other shockabsorbers and we place the engine forward to bring the weight of the car as low as possible. If we are ready with our cars we think it could be very fast. We also are developing alloy parts for it.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:44 AM
Lost Down Under

Doohan,

I got my buggy from Doug Barber in Brisbane. 0411 953 703, www.ozlauterbacher.com.au,
[email protected]

Buggy & front disc brake kit - AU $3 300.00 + freight from Brisbane.

He already has orders for 3 more & will be ordering them within the next 2 weeks.
I got mine with the front disc brakes in cable style (I don't like hydrolics around dirt), they work really well.
The only other thing I have ordered is the airbox with K&N filter. The filter wasn't in that price.
If you're going to race

Go to www.gmmodels.co.uk & have a look at the buggy.

I was going to order mine through Krikke, it was about AU$150.00 saving but I have great back up service through Doug.

I looked at the other buggies on the market & decided that for the extra money, there was no comparison. Now I have it, I'm glad I spent the time to look around.

I am running a JR XS3 radio, Hi Tek servos (HS - 5735 steering, 2 off HS - 705MG for throttle brake & disc brakes.

Given the choice again, I would change to the Futaba 3PK PCM for the onboard failsafe choices & the wave length. I would still use the same servos.
Frontline Hobbies www.frontlinehobbies.com in Newcastle has them on special for AU$495.00.

My second choice was the Leo race.

Good luck.

paul.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:13 AM
remten2001

If we are ready with our cars we think it could be very fast. We also are developing alloy parts for it.
When will those parts be available to the public?
Old 10-25-2003, 09:25 AM
remten2001

i guess i am a bit disapointed in the fact that not a whole lot of poeple are buying leo races buggys....To me they are just as good as lauterbacher or HARM but less the aluminum parts....I still like the looks of the leopard race better....I reeally thought FG would of hit big sales with leopard race.... maybe thye did maybe not i don't know but in a yeaar from now i guess we will see in videos ....Not everyone can afford a lauterbacher or HARM buggy they are the best buggys but are the most expensive ones.

I will be shooting some videos of my leopard race when the body is all painted and electronics are install and promise you i will push the buggy to its limit....If i have to make go down a 20 foot high dirt hill i will.....
Old 10-25-2003, 11:12 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If and when you do upload the video, post a link. I started a thread for posting video links of large scale cars but it appears no one else wants to share. I also uploaded another clip of some 1/4 crashes late last night. Soon I plan to shoot some in-car camera video since I just finished charging all the batteries.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:44 PM
Ropas

I think we have the first parts (wishbones and axle mounts) ready in 3 or 4 weeks.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:26 AM
Doohan

Hi Paul,...i spoke to Doug from Lauterbacher Australia...he said you were going to give your car a run this week. How did you go? He also said this car does about 60kph...i dont know about you, but for $3500 i would want a car that goes faster than a T-Maxx!...id rather save $2500 and get a Savage/T-Maxx that does 65kph straight from the box.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:49 AM
remten2001

delete
Old 10-30-2003, 01:39 AM
Lost Down Under

Doohan,

Top ends not what it's about. You have to drive one of these things to appreciate them. No compaqrrison to a T-Maxx. I have one of those with a Novarossi in it. I'll play with the buggy anyday over the T-Maxx.
You can gear the buggy up if you want. with the grunt this thing has with even the 230, it will pull well.
Just 1 problem I had last night. The XS3 doesn't have aux mixing to run the front discs. I got a 3PK PCM today to fix the problem.
Know anyone that wants to buy a Brand new XS3 with 2 recievers? $450.00 worth, make me an offer.

Here's a photo of the buggy with radio gear ready to roll.

Give me a call on the number that Doug gave you. I'm here 6 days till about 7 each night.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt55982.jpg
Views:	1829
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	71094  
Old 10-30-2003, 07:52 AM
remten2001

apperently Doohan bailed out of the 1/6 buggy idea for some reason and is now in the monster truck section looking for some info on the savage...But little does he know how those nitro mt's are... they break all the time and the cost of nitro is not cheap either...
Old 10-30-2003, 08:38 AM
Doohan

Lost,...i know a 1/6 Superscross and 1/10 T-Maxx are completely different cars...the Supercross looks bulletproof, all aluminium, petrol motor, cheap to run etc....you can see where the money goes....but i want a car for bashing around the bush, doing some jumps etc...it will be used in some big open areas where ill be doing a lot of top speed driving...i want to go as fast as possible. I can get a Savage or T-Maxx delivered to my door for $700 AUS. A Superscross with radio will cost about $4000 AUS. As far as 'bang for your bucks' go...i dont think the Supercross is worth 5 to 6 times the price of a T-Maxx.
Even the importer of these cars into Australia said they are only as fast as a T-Maxx in stock trim...about 65KPH (40MPH) Maybe if the Superscross did 100kph i would spend the extra $$$. Have you driven yours yet?...ill be interested to know how you compare the Supercross with your T-Maxx. Ill give you a call late arvo one day.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:55 AM
Doohan

Wizen, i havent bailed yet...but im not convinced that a buggy costing 5 to 6 times more than a T-Maxx/Savage is worth it...if the performance is not much better. My friend has a Tmaxx...in 6 months only the spur gear was broken and he rolls this thing down cliffs and headbutts trees. Looks like a strong car to me...
Old 10-30-2003, 03:28 PM
Lost Down Under

Doohan,
From what your going to do with your car I think the T-Maxx may be what you want.
I have had a ball with mine. It gets used for major fun. We take it to the BMX track where it gets up to 7' of air. Still haven't broken it yet!
I haven't run my new one yet. Still trying to work out the new radio. It's a definate for Saturday arvo.

Paul.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:10 PM
remten2001

Doohan trust me mt's are moeny pits and by the time you will have 7 or 8 gallons in them you will have spend well over 800 euro in them....And the tmaxx is no exeption.... how come your buddy's tmaxx is so tough and all you read on the other forums is how peice o junk the tmaxx is?the engine is junk the bulkhead snaps very easily...

Do what you want but i will for sure enjoy my leopard race more than i enjoyed my savage and terra crushers....Nitro fuel is not cheap either and can't be bought everywhere.....Gas can be bought anywhere.....

Be prepared for some action vids of my leopard race videos soon if the frreaking weather is on the perfect timimg.....
Old 10-30-2003, 09:32 PM
Lost Down Under

Gotta agree with Wizen. Forgot to mention that my T-Maxx hasn't broken because I have spent about AU$1500.00 extra in hard core racing extras. Replaced everything that looked weak.
Once youve had anything that runs a Zenoah (or similar), you'll never go back to nitro.
I did it with my boats & now the cars. Wanna buy my T-Maxx?
Paul.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:31 AM
Doohan

Wizen, i dont agree that the T-Maxx is a money pit...if you are a crap driver and treat the car badly then yes it will break. If you treat the car well and dont bounce it off 3 foot rocks then it will be reliable. Parts for the T-Maxx are very cheap and available everywhere...suspension arms and bulkheads cost only $7...most gears are only a few dollars each. Parts for large scale cars cost heaps and are hard to get.
I know the people in the other forums who say the T-Maxx is a piece of junk...they are the ones who launch this thing 12 feet into the air then land it on the roof expecting it not to break.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:48 AM
Doohan

Lost,
How on earth can you spend $1500 AUS on parts for the T-Maxx...were they gold plated! I can have 2 brand new T-Maxx's delivered to my door for $1400 AUS
Are you going to take your Supercross the the BMX track? Do you think you will launch $4000 worth of car 7 feet into the air like the T-Maxx?. Also...being only 2WD, i dont see how a large scale car can have the grip/handling of a 4WD truck like a T-Maxx or Savage. Will be interesting to know your thoughts comparing the two cars...im interested to know the speed and acceleration. Let us know how your first run goes.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:56 AM
Lost Down Under

Doohan,
Go to www.racinghardcore.com & have a look. Very easy to spend the money.
Yes, I will take the buggy to the BMX track. Won't be sending it 7' into the air (that's why I have the T-Maxx), but will have fun all the same.
Ran the buggy this afternoon. Awsome! Off the line it accelerates better than the T-Maxx. The stability & handling are much better. Top end with standard gearing & road wheels on the tar, they are pretty even (I had a mate here with his T-Maxx). The off road rims & tyres are about 40mm larger in diametre, so the top end will be better. As soon as I get it sorted out, I'll try change the gears & see what it will do.
Very hard to compare the 2. They are very different from each other. As for the driving, the T-Maxx you just point & pull the trigger, where as the buggy corners using the throttle. Very similar to driving a full size car on dirt.
Keep asking questions before you buy to make sure you get what you really want. Either way you are going to spend a fair bit of money. In the monster truck & all out fun category, can't go past the T-Maxx(don't know much about the Savage). Large scale buggy I have got to say that the Lauterbacher is in a class of its own.

Quick note - Watch the import. Prices over AU$200.00 & you get charged 5% of value including freight, then 10% of total again as GST, then if they get really good, you cop a $50.00 paperwork fee. The other problem is warranty & back up service. Also check on freight charge. Sometimes it is over the top. I got a pipe in for my boat & the UPS charge was US$76.00. Heaps considering the pipe was only US$169.00.

Paul.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Doohan

Lost...what was the engine like to start and run?...no stuffing around like nitro?
Out of the box its the same speed as the Tmaxx but with different gearing and off road tyres it should do at least 80 to 90KPH?
Got any photos?....want to see how you painted the body... and what gear ratio are you changing to?
Dont worry about the import stuff.....with my business i send and receive stuff from the USA all the time so ill add it to a consignment and avoid the tax.
Let me know when you have the first off road run....being 2WD i still cant see it handling as good as the maxx in the dirt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.