Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/5 scale electric car

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 02:06 PM
xman05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/5 scale electric car

Has anyone driven a 1/5 scale electric car or bought one????? The only one have been able to find on the net is at finedesign.com I talked to Chris and he related the gas 1/5 scale cars were not math with the car he sells? Let me know if there is another place were i can buy 1/5 scale car........Thanks !xman
Old 03-07-2004, 05:04 PM
fmolzer

Default RE: 1/5 scale electric car

FG is coming out with a 1/5 scale electric car this May. I have no idea what it will do for performance, but it will be available. The long wheelbase version is P/N 1400...

www.molzermoweryracing.com
Old 03-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Sypro

my friend has like 10 nimh batterie's used to power robots im thinking about hooking them together and using them to power a motor.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:31 PM
xman05

Well, hopefully that car will be able to keep up with the gas cars. I llove putting a whoooping on gas cars....Chris at fine design related the car he sells is way better that the 1/5 scale gas cars,,,he said it would no competition....Now that shultze has come out with their new esc controller it will be very interisting how good it will be.

And by the way who is fg
Old 03-09-2004, 04:13 PM
fmolzer

Well from the press release the electric car will definately be slower than the gas cars. It is more intended for use where gas cars can not run...indoors etc. or for people that like the large scale but don't want to deal with a gas engine. FG is the largest 1/5 scale manufacturer in the industry. We are importing their cars into the US, check it out at www.molzermoweryracing.com You could probably make it faster with special motors/cells etc. though. would be an interesting project.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:48 AM
RCXpress

I'm in the process of acquiring a 1/5th scale car - a H.A.R.M. Street Pro. A colleague from my local club bought out a hobby shop from the other end of the country, and he's being most patient and gracious while I help him unload one of the cars to me, a bit at a time. Should have it for this upcoming summer! Woo!

Anyway, our local asphalt track, while large for 1/10 cars, is a bit on the tight side for 1/5. That, and there's no racing to speak of, 'cause there are only three 1/5's in town that we know of. So the best we can do for now is to pull the big boys out for a few minutes at a time while the little ones are charging or taking a break.
With that in mind, I've been toying with the idea of saving the engine from my car for when we develop a real racing program, and converting the chassis to electric. At the moment it's just a theory, but I'm thinking a custom motor plate and layshaft to replace the clutch bell, and a dual 540-size motor/ESC/battery arrangement ought to provide enough torque to move the car around our comparatively small track well enough. Again, at this point it's merely a theory, and at least a couple months away at that. Tempus Aperio!
Old 04-09-2004, 06:40 PM
drf

Hello everyone,

A dual 540-size motor setup sounds a little bit small for the weight a 1/5 scale car would be. You will probably have to go to something bigger. Lokking the same thing form a different angle you are thinging of something like robot wars so you need POWER!!!.
I think that going into 1.5 scale electric is not a very good idea. You will be running to the same problems that 1/1 electric cars do, mainly weight. The batteries will weight so much that it will either be draining them too fast to go fast enough to be fun to play or just go slow.
Anyway it does sould like a good project to play with 1/5 electric. A few things that come to my mind that might be of some use to someone. Keep everything to the smallest possible weight (which mean a lot of aluminium and titanium) and use efficient transmition (belt for example and not axles) and efficient electronics (the esc mainly)
Old 04-10-2004, 04:29 AM
studysession

I would like to see an electric 1/5 scale - I don't know anyone over here with the onroad 1/5 scales on the 1/6 scale buggies.