Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

FG Monster Beetle in action! (video up!)

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG Monster Beetle in action! (video up!)

Old 08-13-2004, 01:35 AM
Pongo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG Monster Beetle in action! (video up!)

I ran it tonight in the dirt for the first time,... quite a blast. I made up a video.

Here are some pics from it.

Edit: Thanks Andrew for hosting the movie. (link below)

http://www.molzermoweryracing.com/do...ter_beetle.wmv
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25209.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	163293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90045.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	163294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79294.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	163295  
Old 08-13-2004, 02:06 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: FG Monster Beetle in action!

NICE!
Why don't you break it down to smaller videos and upload it to rcpics.net???
Old 08-13-2004, 03:05 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

You know - I looked at the FG monster beetle / FG monster truck... I like its size but I didn't buy it mainly because it did not have 4WD.. and that option won't be out for at least 3 months (probably more).. (not to mention it will add $200 )

I saw a video on a website that showed the Bug doing wheelies every time you hit the gas... as far as I am concerned that is unacceptable in an off road machine..

Can you be on the gas all the time or do you have to watch the throttle?

What good is all the power if you can't get on it???? Also - during jumps the 4WD does a lot toward correcting attitude / aoa
without it, I would be worried something that large and heavy woulld end up on its nose or on its butt more times than on its wheels...

True or am I full of worry???
DP
Old 08-13-2004, 05:36 PM
drevil

That's the price you pay when you have alot of power and monster truck tires. I don't really understand what the problem is, you just give it slightly less throttle if you don't want a wheelie. I really don't have that kind of problem with my Marder because i dont get that kind of traction with the buggy tires. But then the tradeoff is that you get alot of wheel spin instead.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Pongo

I saw a video on a website that showed the Bug doing wheelies every time you hit the gas... as far as I am concerned that is unacceptable in an off road machine..

Can you be on the gas all the time or do you have to watch the throttle?
Mine wheelies very easily in my yard, but it usually is getting help due to the bumps. A careful trigger finger does just fine. Once I got on the dirt, there really isn't enough traction, so there is a lot of wheelspin instead,... again, proper use of trigger finger works here. Once the video gets posted up you should see how it rides over things a little better too. On pavement, I can stay in the throttle without any trouble, but the wheels start ballooning up a bit making things pretty exciting. I need to try to balance them a bit as well, since at high speed you can see they need it.

What good is all the power if you can't get on it???? Also - during jumps the 4WD does a lot toward correcting attitude / aoa
without it, I would be worried something that large and heavy woulld end up on its nose or on its butt more times than on its wheels...
Half the fun is HAVING that power and controlling it... A lot of the steering in the dirt is done with the trigger and not the wheels, I would say part of what you are saying is exactly why someone would drive a Monster over a regular buggy. The big wheels are going to give you a lot more bounce (and therefore instability) But that is a big part of the fun in controlling it. So far it seems to jump quite well, although I have not done a lot yet... if you don't lift throttle enough in the air you'll wheelie over backwards on landing, but it's pretty easy to get the hang of.

The beetle is suprisingly stable, but even so,... the big tires are a plus and a minus, depending on what you want to do with it.

Hope that makes sense,... distracted while typing.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

i want to see the VIDEO!!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 04:36 PM
dazzahughesuk

Me too even if it is 32 Megs...well i do have Broadband he he he
Old 08-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Tonny

Im waiting for the vid
Anyone else?
Old 08-16-2004, 01:45 PM
ammdrew

here is the link to the MB video. hope everyone enjoys it I was finally able to get it up.

Old 08-16-2004, 01:54 PM
drevil

NICE!

Pongo: How does it feel at top speed with those tires?
Old 08-16-2004, 03:13 PM
Pongo

ORIGINAL: drevil
Pongo: How does it feel at top speed with those tires?

Well,... it brings a big smile to my face! Actually on the grass like that it's very smooth,... floats over almost all the bumps with no trouble, (except for the one that I flipped it on) Even that one should have been preventable if I would have lifted a bit when the wheels came up. Anyways,... it's really nice in offroad situations. On asphalt, it's another story,... once you hit higher speeds there is quite a bit of shaking from the front wheels. I need to balance the wheels out and that should help quite a bit. The other thing is that you have to be sure to slow down or take a very wide arc when turning at full speed or you will flip it right over. I will be putting in the rear sway bar tonight or tomorrow, so I will know if that helps any.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:49 PM
highspeeddirt
My Feedback: (1)

Nice video it's nice to see that there is alot of support from the guys at Molzermowery. Did you do any damage on that flip at the end? Thanks for all the info.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:56 PM
dazzahughesuk

Default RE: FG Monster Beetle in action! (video up!)

ORIGINAL: Pongo

I ran it tonight in the dirt for the first time,... quite a blast. I made up a video.

Here are some pics from it.

Edit: Thanks Andrew for hosting the movie. (link below)

Great vid. looks awesome. that vid might just make my mind up what FG car to buy, so thanks.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Pongo

There was nothing broken by the flip, but I have since noticed that the spoiler mount has been tweaked a very small amount, and I'm guessing that happened on this flip since it came down hard on the spoiler twice. I've rolled it over several times in a similar manner though, so it is hard to say.

So far the only real damage I have is a gear that lost 2 teeth after coming down from a jump with the engine revved up. You might be able to hear a clicking sound on the high speed pass portion of the video,... that is the missing teeth. I have yet to order the replacement gear, so I may have to take it easy for a bit.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:06 PM
drevil

ORIGINAL: Pongo
I will be putting in the rear sway bar tonight or tomorrow, so I will know if that helps any.
Definately let me know how the swaybar is. I've thought of trying one of those on my Marder but never got around to it.
The reason i ask about the top speed is because my Marder almost always wants to "swap ends" so to speak at high speed. Which wouldn't be such a bad thing but as you said, any type of high speed sharp turns (like if it spins out) will cause a flip. I've had a few very sick flips that made me think for sure that something would be broke, but i have yet to break anything big.
Mike
Old 08-16-2004, 04:48 PM
highspeeddirt

Thanks. I will be ordering a MB sometime in the near future. All of you have been very help full on letting everyone know the pro's and con's.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:02 PM
KICKINDIRT

Way to go PONGO that video was smokin im looking forward to saving the money to order one for myself.all you guys have been helpful with all your input.If you get some more video please post it the music was great too
Old 08-16-2004, 10:40 PM
Jared1106

Pongo,
Totaly AWSOME video, great job!!!! I have only 1 tooth torn off, and the same clicking.... I have ordered the gear and then I am going to have them made by a friend of mine who can harden them so this will not continue to be a problem, he just purchased a state of the art milling machine and knows how to use it.. he he
Old 08-17-2004, 08:26 AM
wuudogg
My Feedback: (14)

Would your friend be interested in making a few sets of gears for a nominal fee of course. I'd certainly like a set.

Great vid !
Old 08-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

hey man, the video was awesome

but it looked tome that the power/weight ratio was lil off....and the handiling
Old 08-17-2004, 12:13 PM
No Moa

Nice!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:13 PM
starguard

What type of Gas does it use? I hear it runs off of regular Pump gas. Also, what so special about this truck that makes it so much more expensive that all the other Monster Trucks?
Old 06-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Starguard, please do not resurrect 4 year old topics to ask questions covered in the FAQ stickied at the top of the forum. As for why it's more expensive than a Savage for example, it's because it's twice the size. And three times as cool.