Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Just Purchased Monster Beetle!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 12:59 PM
rfaster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Purchased Monster Beetle!!

Hi Guys,

Few Questions - I plan to have 2 speed installed - what parts/gears should I stock up on in advance? I have read mixed things about the 2speed - guess I'll be able to try it out first hand.

SparkPlugs- Is it wise to have a few laying around - like Glow Plugs? - or do the spark plugs last and last?

Any advice for a newbe with regards to spare parts would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to running the 1/6th.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:53 PM
Jared1106

Default RE: Just Purchased Monster Beetle!!

Spark plugs: always good to have at least one or 2 around. If you cant find one right off you can order them from sparkplugs.com, plugs are at a real good price but shipping is a bit steap, check w/ your dealer to compare price.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:17 AM
nickphx

I would order extra A-arms , front and rear. With higher speed comes longer stopping distance and higher chance of smashing something .. The A-arms , although very durable can be damaged. I had a problem where the screw that fits in and mounts the wheel nut has actually stripped the threading and bent the arm causing the alignment to be off. I am still deciding if I am going to order the alloy based arms, it will run around 600$ for the whole set front/rear + shipping from good ol' germany.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:41 AM
RC Collector

The spark plugs for the gas engine will last longer than the average glow plug, and you can pick up a new one at your local car parts store (just bring the old one with you).

IMO, if you go overboard with spare parts and hop-ups for these cars you will drain your wallet real fast. Just enjoy the car as is and replace parts as they break/wear out.

Before you run your car, make sure you install a reputable fail-safe - a 1/6 scale running out of control is very scary, especially if you are in a public place.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:59 AM
rfaster

Good information _thanks.

Rccollect- what local Store do you by the plugs From? what model number am l looking For.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:59 PM
wuudogg
My Feedback: (14)

I'm with you on the A - arms.
Had the left rear A-arm break, push forward, and basically make a mess of my gears.
Couldn't hurt to have a set of plastic A-arm replacements.

Just ordered some alloy front and rear wishbones / components from Apex RC. You don't need these... I'm just an addict....Here's a few of the part numbers.

2 x 4471 Front upper alloy wishbone, standard width, 1 pce

1 x 4466 Ball nipple for alloy arms, 2 pcs

1 x 4467 Front lower alloy wishbone left, 1 pce

1 x 4468 Front lower alloy wishbone right, 1 pce

1 x 6100/3 Threaded rod, 32mm

1 x 6029/1 10mm ball socket joint, 8mm thread

2 x 4474 Rear upper alloy wishbone

2 x 4473 Rear lower wishbone wide, 1 pce

1 x 8538 FG mounting device, 1 pce

1 x 8538/1 Auxillary tool, F. ball-type nipple, 3pcs
Old 10-05-2004, 03:34 AM
RC Collector

Rfaster, I went to Checker's, took the old plug and bought one of the same size - that's it. I'll look up the model number, will get back to you. I run a 1/5 HARM on-road with the Solo Engine.

When I receive my FG-MT ... whenever that is ... I'll get the tuned pipe and the gear cover for the pinion/spur. I'll also be ordering a spare receiver pack or two, Tower Hobbies will be carrying these for the DTX FireHammer, and the price is great. The pack on my 1/5 HARM lasts for just over a tank of gas (50 mins), so it's good to have one or two spare ones around.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:18 AM
rfaster

Good news on the spark plug - when you have the model # - I'll give Checkers a ring.

Are you talking about this battery pack?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUA8&P=7
Old 10-06-2004, 03:41 AM
RC Collector

Yes, what a great deal. You might have to change the connector depending on how the pack is wired into your car, but for the price it's worth it.

Will post the plug info - trying to find the spare plug I bought.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:47 PM
rfaster

Hey RC - I see you don't allow PM's? --- Any luck on finding the spark plug nfo?
Old 10-13-2004, 04:23 AM
RC Collector

Apologies, rfaster, I've been so busy at work that I haven't had a chance to get the plug info, it must be a month since I had the chance to even drive one of my cars!. Will post info tomorrow for sure.

The plugs on these engines last a long time, so I wouldn't worry too much about having a spare one at the outset. Mine broke after a run-away, during which the car hit a curb, lost the body, flipped over and - since the on-road cars don't have roll cages - landed right on the plug. Nothing else broke.

BTW, get a good failsafe such as the Venom. I had the Dynamite push-button one installed on the car when I lost control. Turned out that it lost it's setting after the receiver pack was unplugged and plugged back in. Instead of applying full brakes, like it was set up to do, it moved the throttle wide open when the RX pack dumped. A large scale run-away is the last thing you want, believe me, it's scary.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:22 AM
rfaster

Rc - NP I know how it is - work that is... I install Venom F/S on every one of my RC cars.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:42 AM
RC Collector

Rfaster, Champion CJ8Y. Before you run a new plug, set the plug gap to match the one that's being replaced.