Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 06:10 PM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio

Not to sound like a complete moron, even though i am one {shut it Jared1106} i know little about radios,Can someone explain the crystal and synthesized crap out to me, i am going to buy a 3pm-fs Futaba, and it comes in both, crystal and synthesized. I plan to run with Jared, and amityanimal, and i'm not sure what they are running, i'm also going to set it up for my Revo, and i have 4-5 buddys i run with, and last time we could not run all of us, because of channel probs.

So can someone lay down the 411 on this radio crap, or at least point me to a good article online.
Thanks!!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 06:26 PM
JRexA

Default RE: Radio

I am also a newbie to modern RC equipment, but here is what I have foud out

A Synthesized Transmitter/Receiver set means that you can change the channel very easily.
The Synthesizer gives you the ability to change your channel, without having to buy new crystals. You just Dial in the new channel on both your transmitter and receiver.

On the Crystal Based radios, you need extra Crystal Pairs in order to change the Channel you are running on.

Crystals are cheaper to start with, but if you often run with diferent people it can be a reall pain to find a free channel, unless you have loads of crystal pairs.

Heppy driving from Greenland
Jesper Rex
Old 11-09-2004, 08:28 PM
amitysanimal

Nomoa...Jared and I both have the Airtronics MX-3 FM radios. I love mine and personally don't think the synthesized radios are worth the extra money "IF" you are only going to bash around with them. I am on channel 67, not sure what Jared is on. Just ask all your friends what channel they run on and order your own channel. If you run with a bunch of Traxxas trucks, they are on a diferent frequency all together. Traxxas radios are all AM.

The MX-3 is only $100.00 and has a 5 model memory, digital display and more. Check one out.

amitysanimal
Old 11-09-2004, 08:40 PM
No Moa

Thanks Amity, the Futaba is only $159, with one servo. I have 3 futaba radios, and i'm kind of partial to them, i have checked out the MX-3 its nice! the guys i run the maxxes with most have FM radios now, getting away from those junk TQ traxxas radios.
I'll find out what freq Jared is and go from there.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:00 PM
rfaster

I started to say that's cheap for the futaba - then I realized it was not the 3PK - which I had for a while but never got used to. I'm now using a pair of JRS3's - good synth radio at a good price.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:46 AM
TTurks

Have a look at the Multiplex Profi car range - I've got the 707, the synth is great, just change it on the tx, push a button on the rx and it will re-pair up
Old 11-10-2004, 07:26 AM
FGUK
Banned

So really.......... the Multiplex is not quite, but nearly as much messing to change frequency on? That's a dissapointment, was going to look at one of those, if I have to undo my Rx box and remove the balloons and anti static foil and foam to change the frequency then I may as well stay with my 3PK.

I don't know how else I expected it to be done, just thought it'd be from the Tx..........
Old 11-10-2004, 08:32 AM
TTurks

Yeah you'd like to think it could do without 'you/us' having to gain access to the rx - but I guess thats actually impossible because surely it would be lookin for new frequency changes constantly......On the other hand tho they are really great sets, get lots of comments on it mainly cos they look so different!!
Old 11-11-2004, 12:37 AM
rfaster

I think it comes down to cost - I would think they could implement something like DHCP. Power ON - Synth reciever would scan for the "authorized/verified" radio signal- a simple hand shake and the reciever would be set to whatever channel the radio was serving. You could set it to be static - or force a re-set and have it bootp and aquire a new channel.

My first Synth radio - I TOO thought what's the point of synth if I still have to open up my rec box - over time I have seen its advantages. Add to that the dramatic price drop of synth setups and its a easy decision.