Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Bearing problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 01:50 PM
lukehall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing problem

Hi again,

Right, I have a small problem...

After 2 tanks of fuel through my Marder I took off the rear wheels and noticed that the rear wheel bearings seem to be completely 'lunched' They are grinding, nasty and almost seized. Am I being unreasonable to expect they may have lasted more than a couple of hours of running???

Anyway, here's the real problem. The grub screws that secure the drive block on one axle have been tightened so much that one of them will simply not undo.

I tried several new hex keys, and the usual tricks of gentle warming etc but to no effect. No the hex keys have turned in the screw, flattened the inside and now there is no way of undoing it []

Without being able to undo it I can not remove the axle and inspect/replace the bearings.

Can anyone offer any advice here?

Many thanks in advance...

Luke
Old 12-06-2004, 02:00 PM
ibstar

Default RE: Bearing problem

if the square drives have threaded then cut them off with a hacksaw and replace them
i just fitted new ally front hubs and noticed when i took the old bearings out they were wet
on the inside ??????
so before i screwed in the top mount bolt i filled them with oil,
however as i tightened the top bolt all the oil ran out of the brake disc mounting holes ???????
so i cut four bolts so there was only a few threads and put them in the brake mount holes and filled them with oil again
should hopefully keep all wetness out now.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:39 PM
james2001

Not sure, but I think Ibstar misunderstood? I've had a similar problem in the past, with grub screws locking in place. It seems to be down to an over-generous application of threadlock complound.

If you have an impact driver, this MAY help, as it will not only help to make a new groove to place a driver, but also hopefully break the threadlock through sudden shock vibration. Only probelm would be securing the axle block to use the impact driver effectively! gotta clamp maybe?

Failing that, giving the axle block a really good WHACK from behind should get it off. It trashes the axle block, and puts a small surface groove in your axle, but at least you'll only have to replace the axle block.

Err.. Hope that helped a little. I'm a little incompetent with hand tools at the best of times. hehe.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:13 PM
mnf1sand

Be sure you have a washer between the wheel hub and the pivot ball on both top and bottom. If you don't and you tighten the screws tight you will put pressure on the bearings making them seem bad. Take the two screws out a half dozen turns and spin them see if they feel better. If they do theres your problem. There is metal inserts in the hub that the screws go into, so lock tight them a bit.