Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Castrol "R" oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 07:09 AM
kiora

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Castrol "R" oil

Hello all,
Is anyone using castrol R30 for their petrol/oil mix. I was given a litre when I bought my car and its time to try it. I just wondered if anyone had any coments on it one way or the other.

Its suposed to smell great but I dont know yet. It also has acording to castrol great "lubricity" now thats a great great word

See ya
col.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:23 AM
FGUK
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Castrol "R" oil

Don't do it!!!

It's an Organic oil, does not mix at all with Synthetic, you could end up all gummed up, so to speak. I love the smell too.............. that was the advice given to me by a 2 stroke tuner when I asked about using it, I think you could use it if the engine is new and that was the only oil you ever used, not sure but have been told not to use it once I've used another oil.

I suppose a tiny little bit as an extra in your mix might give you the cool smell?
Old 12-09-2004, 09:38 AM
kiora

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoops, too late I've just done it. runs sweet car flys but it wont idle down enough to tick over, the clutch wont stay disengaged. Ive had to go back to my old 23cc G2D as I keep wrecking the wheels and gears with the 26cc. Used the 26cc carb on it but I cant see that making a difference.

I`ll have to strip it and see if it is gunged up.

Col.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:38 PM
AceCoolie

Put an adjustable clutch on it and set the engagment higher. I've run many different clutches on my cars. The most fun (not really raceable) is the orignal 3 shoe FG because the shoes lock as they engage. It engages very hard and makes it fun to brake the tires loose. The 2 shoe FG works very well as does my current 4 shoe Pitstop clutch. The worst has been the 3 shoe Lauterbacher. It wouldn't hold it's settings very well and if you tighten it too much, it locks up and you have to disassemble it to free it. So far, I've always set my clutches to engage around 9k rpm and I've had LOTS of get up and go with an Alro Bluefire engine.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:59 PM
randyg-rcu

ORIGINAL: AceCoolie

So far, I've always set my clutches to engage around 9k rpm and I've had LOTS of get up and go with an Alro Bluefire engine.
9k?! that's about four times what I'd expect... is that a typo?

--Randy
Old 12-09-2004, 03:08 PM
AceCoolie

Nope. This is on road mind you. I would guess around 6k for off road but thats just what I've heard. My first off roader (FGMT) should be here soon so I'll try it out.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:49 PM
randyg-rcu

I'm not even sure my engine does 9k rpm at WOT.

I should try measuring the rpm of my engines one of these days... a little coil of wire next to the flywheel should generate a pulse plenty visible on my 'scope whenever the magneto magnets pass by. (and is a lot less likely to toast my nice digital 'scope than interfacing it to the ignition would be)

I was thinking a clutch that engaged at 2-3k rpm would be about right, if not a little fast...

--Randy