Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

fire hammer

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 12:39 AM
Cal-Torque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fire hammer

Prove it. Do you truly think that the plastics are European-made?
Does anyone have a contact at FG that will give an honest answer as to what's sourced and assembled vs manufactured?
The unfortunate reality is that a LOT of metal and plastic "stuff" is made in Asia...cheap labor I believe.
Here's a weird one for you...BBQs. Most are manufactured in Asia. Even with the huge freight factor, they're still less costly than making locally.

ORIGINAL: ammdrew

I will bet on what FG makes in china.
lets just say nothing in the car needs to say "Made in China". with exception to motors which FG does not make
Old 12-18-2004, 02:26 AM
chase044
My Feedback: (1)

i wopuldnt doubt it that FGs are made in china....anwho...the firehammer looks like a good buy. im not going to get one since my funds are good enougf or one since im getting into crf50s and spending all my money on it.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:40 AM
BadAlex

Not as solid as my marder but very tough I beleive so far
Can you guys post pics of what is stronger on the FG? I have never seen one up close. I did get a chance to see a Firehammer closeup. From my research it seems more like the Marder Race. It already has the gear covers (main gears and lower skid plate guard) and the screw type shocks. I'm looking at the Firehammer and the Marder but the Firehammer looks pretty beefy as it is. Also, Duratrax has the parts breakage coverage for one year. I am going to purchase one soon but ~$800 shipped RTR from Tower after discounts vs ~$950 shipped for the Marder race (which needs about $300 more in radio equip) it's a tough call. I'm not really worried about the 26cc vs 23cc as it's only about $60 for a big bore kit that is easy to change.
Thanks in advance for the insight.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:19 PM
ammdrew

ORIGINAL: Cal-Torque

Prove it. Do you truly think that the plastics are European-made?
Does anyone have a contact at FG that will give an honest answer as to what's sourced and assembled vs manufactured?
The unfortunate reality is that a LOT of metal and plastic "stuff" is made in Asia...cheap labor I believe.
Here's a weird one for you...BBQs. Most are manufactured in Asia. Even with the huge freight factor, they're still less costly than making locally.

I will bet on what FG makes in china.
lets just say nothing in the car needs to say "Made in China". with exception to motors which FG does not make
FG is making there plastics and alloy in Europe. That is the facts.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Cal-Torque

I call BS. Prove it with a statement from FG. It's easy to say or believe something like that, but I highly doubt it.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:46 PM
ammdrew

Maybe you should check out who we are.

Anyways if you wish to talk about FG it does not belong in the Firehammer thread, so lets get ontrack.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Cal-Torque

I work in an industry of titles and "important people", so that's means nothing to me...
I'll take your word for it. Regardless, "Made in China" is not a swear word. It doesn't necessarily equate to crap. Just like "European made" doesn't necessarily mean superior quality. Anyways, enough of that.
The Firehammer looks like a great value to me. I look forward to some in-depth reviews from owners. A head to head Firehammer/Marder battle would be cool to see.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:52 PM
amitysanimal

Just my 2 cents worth.....

Fg makes what, 7 or 8 1/6 scale off road vehicles. Duratrax makes 1.

Fg has been making them since 1991, Duratrax less than 1 year.

Now don't take this as me saying the Firehammer is junk because I am NOT saying that. All I'm saying is "you get what you pay for".

Fg has been around a long time, at least you know what your getting. With the Firehammer, yeh, you'll save some money, but I personally don't want to be a "test pilot" for Duratrax and be the one to find all the weak spots.

amitysanimal
Old 12-19-2004, 07:22 PM
BadAlex

So for the people that have seen both.........What are the differences? Is it just a tolerance issue with the Duratrax stuff?? Is the plastic more brittle, are the shocks more prone to leaking, is there less adjustability? The radio included with the Firehammer is a lower end Futaba (steering servo is ok, throttle/brake servo I wouldn't use on a 1/8th scale) but is does include a fail safe and is RTR for ~$800. I want to hear more from people that have seen and had the chance to try both. It's really not a Mercedes vs Hyundai issue either. The comparison is really more like Original Ford Cobra vs a kit replica no? I agree that FG has been around so you know what you get....But, we may just be suprised good or bad with what we get in the Firehammer. If someone has both and can tell me hands down that the FG is better, then FG it is. Again, I'm going to make a decision within a week so please give me your thoughts.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Flatline74

ORIGINAL: amitysanimal

Just my 2 cents worth.....

Fg makes what, 7 or 8 1/6 scale off road vehicles. Duratrax makes 1.

Fg has been making them since 1991, Duratrax less than 1 year.

Now don't take this as me saying the Firehammer is junk because I am NOT saying that. All I'm saying is "you get what you pay for".

Fg has been around a long time, at least you know what your getting. With the Firehammer, yeh, you'll save some money, but I personally don't want to be a "test pilot" for Duratrax and be the one to find all the weak spots.

amitysanimal
Duratrax is not making anything, I am not sure who is making the FireHammer but Duratrax is just distributing the thing just like XTM is with theirs that is the exact same buggy...... And I chose FireHammer for the parts support I will get from Tower... I break something BAM I have it next day.... I buy some of the more $$$$ cars, break something, God only knows when I would get my replacement...

I am not here to bash anything.. I just want to enjoy the hobby and the car I chose... I come here to learn as much info on the hobby I love as possible... Not to hear peoples rants about some buggy they have not seen nor own... Just my 2 cents.....
Old 12-19-2004, 07:52 PM
mnf1sand

How are you going to have the part the next day?? Are they going to next day you a part under there warranty without you sending it back first? Or do you just mean you can purchase your part and have it next air and pay the air fee?
Old 12-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Flatline74

Yea I can have it next day air and pay for it... As for the stress tech warranty thing I would just send it reg UPS and that will just be an extra part I have.....
Old 12-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Cal-Torque

Hard to go wrong at $810... Parts are dirt cheap. Tower Hobbies CS is top notch. I wouldn't hesitate in buying the Firehammer... From the exploded view, I can tell you that it's near identical to the Marder, but has threaded shocks and countersunk slots for the engine mount bolts. Time will only tell as far as durability.
Flatline, what do you think of it so far? Have you given it a good beating?
Old 12-19-2004, 09:48 PM
amitysanimal

I get my Fg parts in 5 to 7 days with regular shipping. I could get them faster if I wanted to pay extra.

Just hope the same thing doesn't happen to the Duratrax Firehammer like what happened to the Duratrax mini quake. Tower sold the mini quake and a lot of people had problems breaking the axles or something. They called Tower for replacement and Tower couldn't get them for over a month. I'm not saying that will happen, just hope it doesn't.

Again, I wasn't bashing the Firehammer, it may be a very good buggy. I just wouldn't want to be the "test pilot" and find it to be a low quality car. If it had been out for awhile with some good reports, I wouldn't hesitate.

I bought the Firehammer rims and tires set for my MB, they were a LOT cheaper (money wise) than the Fg rims and tires. They are nice quality rims and tires though, I really like them.

amitysanimal
Old 12-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Flatline74

I won't know about its durability till after Christmas .... This is my first large scale but I am sure not to be my last....
Old 12-19-2004, 10:25 PM
chase044
My Feedback: (1)

im sure the frihammer is a good buggy. i was at hobby people and they had the xtm version there and it looked real nice....the xtm versins doesnt come with a radio tho. but it is a little hceaper than the duratrax version. its not even duratrax that makes it do you wouldnt be their "test pilot" i think thatthey are made by carson. wich i think is a good car. does anybody here have the carson buggy? i think this is just the USA version of it and duratrax and xtm are distributing them here.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:59 PM
ammdrew

I think some have to take a step back.
This forum should be for information from Firehammer owners and support them as they come into the large scale.

Yes it is a rebadged carson imported by both XTM and duratraxxs, as most of us who have been around a while I would expect duratraxx product to perform and act as all others in the line, which would mean they are not losi, associated, mugen or serpent, but nor will there owners expect them to be.

I do not think we need to try and compare FG to Duratraxxs, they are different yet similar in many ways and if we are to have a thread focusing on that issue we should label it so.

I think it is great to have a entry level car in the large scale market in the US. let us know what you have issues with and we can maybe find fixes for week spots or broken items. And we can see what crosses for upgrades that can help keep you on the track and tearing up your yards( these are great for dethatching the grass)

I look forward to having enough large scale off road cars in the US to have our first ever 1/6th scale national. how fun is that.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:18 PM
lauterbacher

Andrew your post is right on. everyone needs to support large scale and not be one verse another. If the XTM and Firehammer takeoff it will be great for the large scale cars period no matter what brand.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Cal-Torque

Unless you're the North American distributor for FG... I'm just kidding Andrew. I totally get what you're saying, but I think that there's value in comparing the two. See my new thread.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:13 AM
flipower
My Feedback: (2)

I just got done running though 3/4 of my first tank. (1 tank lasts forever) I haven't had time to go to any fields and play with my Firehammer, but I did leave a few patches on the steet in front of my house. After my 1st run of making donuts, my rear tires are almost bald. I need to get some onroad tires for this thing. It just spins the tires and power slides everywhere when run on the street. Do you guys know if any of the onroad tires from other models will fit on the Firehammer?
Old 12-20-2004, 05:37 AM
methodman

[quote]ORIGINAL: flipower

. After my 1st run of making donuts, my rear tires are almost bald.

er take it easy there dude!!!

however things i`ve seen about the rims and tyres on my mates carson attack is that that look stronger and cheaper than the ones on my marder, so when i need a new set i`ll pick up some carson ones.

aaron.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:05 AM
ammdrew

measur the square block, if it is the same as the FG you can put F1 or the slicks on and run on the pavement.

Sedans tires require some front end changes to work.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:46 AM
rompingdonkey

measur the square block, if it is the same as the FG you can put F1 or the slicks on and run on the pavement.

Sedans tires require some front end changes to work.

FG touring car wheels/tyres will go staright on,,,,I have got the Carson and if you look at the front hubs they are not like the marder ones but more like touring car ones so the wheel doesnt catch on anything,

All I can say is they are very good I have given mine some stick now and it just keeps going,,,,All my mates who I go out with have Marders and before anyone gets on there high horse like they have all through this thread I think its just as good as any Marder,,,,,I have done all the things my mates do and have only ever broke the gear cover where the driveshaft pulled a stick through it.

If its any help to anyone the only thing I had to do was alter the route of the overflow pipe on the fuel tank cause when you have a roll and fuel comes through it, depending on how it rolls the fuel as covered my brake discs more thanhj once and you end up with no brakes for about 5 minutes
Old 12-20-2004, 01:54 PM
dubby

How about you prove they are made in china rather than just sit behind your pc running your mouth off

Seeing as Andrew is an importer I tend to take his comments as true
Old 12-20-2004, 02:07 PM
rompingdonkey

ORIGINAL: dubby

How about you prove they are made in china rather than just sit behind your pc running your mouth off

Seeing as Andrew is an importer I tend to take his comments as true

Me ????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.