Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Mounting street tires on wheels issues!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Mounting street tires on wheels issues!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:50 AM
RC_Feen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting street tires on wheels issues!

I have a set of the on-road slicks for my marder race /beetle. The other night I was trying to mount the tires and faoms on the wheels and couldn't get the tire over the foam and wheel. I put the foam around the wheel and then tried to get the tire over the foam and wheel. That didn't work. Next I tried putting the foam in the tire and then put the wheel in. That didn't work either. Does anyone have an easier way or method to mount the slicks and foams on the wheels? The wheels are the 5-star marder wheels with the extentions for the wider rear tires. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:44 PM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Mounting street tires on wheels issues!

sounds like you have the wrong rims, the on road tires only fit on the on road rims.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:00 PM
ibstar

try warming the tyres fg say to stick the foam on to rim then add tyre
they are the correct truck slick ?
Old 01-06-2005, 03:23 PM
BLUEWATERMAN

I had the same problem with my tires, both off- and onroad tires. I glued the foam to the rims and then I add a little bit of airfilter-oil on the edge of the foam and same on the edge of the tire, put the rim flat on the table and simply pressed the tire on by flat hand. At last you wil have to work it in place with the tools you use on your bi-cycle-tires.
Sorry for my poor english, it's been a while since I had to use it in writing...[]
And about the size of tires, if you had bought the truck-slicks, there should be no problems...
Old 01-06-2005, 03:30 PM
BILKO1

I've just put slicks on some silver marder wheels with extensions what a ***** of a job[:-] I tried all ways and the easiest was to put the foam in the tyre then use a little soap on the rim and foam then slide the tyre/foam over the wheel. I put the tyre/foam in the microwave for 20 seconds first. Once the tyre/foam was in position i wiped the soap from the wheel lip and left to dry overnight. Next day i glued the buggers on and thats a job and a half too.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:45 AM
RC_Feen

Thanks guys for the replies. I've thought of using some dish soap to get the tires on the wheels. I have the Marder wheels with the extensions and the slicks for these wheels. I'll try the soap route first and let you know how it turns out. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:32 PM
ammdrew

soap works, hand lotion works better but requires clean up, I recommend using a lot of windex, and put the foam in the tire, saturate( no soak) with windex and pull the foam and tire on at the same time, once you get this down you can mount a tire in 5 to 6 minutes instead of 5 to 6 hours and with much less pain.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:52 PM
mike_humphreys

Another solution could be to buy pre stuck wheels or tyre, get someone else to do them or put touring car front hubs on then you can use the (almost unlimited) touring car wheels.

Mike
Old 01-10-2005, 01:10 PM
RC_Feen

Last night I finished mounting all the tires on the wheels. It only took me about 20min. after I figured out the right method. I took dish soap and ran a small bead around the bead of the tire. Slipped the foams over the wheels and then worked the foam/wheel on the tire. Once I got the foam/wheel started in the tire I used a flat tip screw driver and moved it around the bead of the tire slipping the foam/wheel into the tire. Washed the soap of the wheel and tire and let it dry overnight. Once they are completely dry I'll glue the tires to the wheels. Thanks for the help.