Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Clutch and pinion Q's......

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 04:00 PM
FGUK
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and pinion Q's......

[X(][X(][X(]

This used to be my clutch bell!

I had my car out today and suddenly it stopped, the engine was revving but no go..............now I see why!

I think I must have got something wrong when I fitted the alloy gear/clutch carrier yesterday.

On dismantling it I remebered having a bit of difficulty when I was assembling it, I had also changed the pinion to a 16T one, in steel, does anyone know why the steel pinions aren't the same dimensions as the plastic ones?

I have always had a steel pinion on, and that was the same physical size as the 16T one, there are 2 shim washers behind the pinion, when you change to a steel pinion are you supposed to add more shims to take up the slack? Otherwise if you fit the gear so that the outside is level with the circlip groove there is a load of movement, I can't remember how I solved this with the 18T, it was more than a day ago and I'm getting old............
Old 01-09-2005, 06:53 PM
mike_humphreys

Default RE: Clutch and pinion Q's......

Hiya Aaron, As a general rule of thumb, most guys mount the 46t gear on the alloy carrier back to front (i.e the grub scews facing outwards to prevent the top arm turn buckle from stripping the gear therefore you mount the clutchbell gear the same way with as many shims as required to make a good mesh, as for the question, "why is the steel gear smaller than the plastic one" it's a good question and well presented............ i don't know is my answer, i think it's because fg use a circlip to fasten it on with and it saves shims.

Mike
Old 01-09-2005, 07:05 PM
dubby

Ive just pulled mine tight on the marder so there is no play.

The 19t pinion makes the world of difference with the samba.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:23 AM
FGUK
Banned

Thanks Mike!

I'm all sorted for now, will turn them around next time I've got it in bits, sure that won't be long, I noticed it's a bit dusty after sitting on the desk in my office all wekend so is due a clean and polish.......... lol

I've got the extended top arms on, Banana arms I think you call them, so the upper arm is well away from the spur anyway, but it'd definitely look nicer the other way around, that way you can see the shiny alloy gear carrier!?

How was the racing yesterday? Bit wet? I doubt they'll be using the Carlisle track for a while! Where's all this water coming from, is it the end of the world? If it is, I need to buy an MT before Armageddon!!!!!

Dubby, you had some play in yours then? Did you have some shims handy to space the pinion?

Thanks again for help!

A.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Kev_B

I've changed my 16/48 MB gearing to 18/46 (steel 18t pinnion, ally spur carrier) in an attempt to stop the upper link mashing another spur, which unfortunately failed, the spur has the tell-tale signs of an over-friendly upper link trying to get too close to it
After reading this thread I turned them around today but I'm a bit concerned about the spur rubbing against the gear carrier/plate thingy (the big square thing). Obviously, if I leave a little bit of play it'll allow the spur to move side to side on it's carrier and still end up rubbing. In the end I put one of the washers that came with the pinnion on the shaft first, hopefully that should do the job.
Am I worrying for nothing as usual?

Kev.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Kev_B

Has no-one else done this??? [:-] I've not had chance to run it since I turned them around and I'm still a little concerned that there may be too much contact between the spur and the gear/bearing carrier. Does it run OK?

Kev.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:16 PM
jimbo1890

I haven't but have a look at the last post in the plastic gearwheels thread, is this what your talking about?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:54 PM
mnf1sand

If you would like you can go to http://www.molzermoweryracing.com/sasrandd.htm on the off-road page I give a few ways to stop the upper arm from smashing the spur gear. The plastic and steel gears are a bit different because the steel one is a layshaft gear just used in a different place. No need for FG to build a different gear, you just need to shim it properly.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Kev_B

No, this is what I'm meaning.....
ORIGINAL: mike_humphreys

Hiya Aaron, As a general rule of thumb, most guys mount the 46t gear on the alloy carrier back to front (i.e the grub scews facing outwards to prevent the top arm turn buckle from stripping the gear therefore you mount the clutchbell gear the same way with as many shims as required to make a good mesh, as for the question, "why is the steel gear smaller than the plastic one" it's a good question and well presented............ i don't know is my answer, i think it's because fg use a circlip to fasten it on with and it saves shims.

Mike
Here's a couple of pics to illustrate it.

As you can see when the spur and carrier are in this position there is nothing to stop the plastic spur sliding on it's alloy carrier into the gear carrier behind it. This is what I'm worrying about. Obviously you can't push it up tight to stop the movement, so how do the people that have done this mod get around the problem?

Kev.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:45 PM
chevyman_de

..., so how do the people that have done this mod get around the problem?

Kev.
Very simple, they just put a shim (usually a 1mm thick one) between the bearing and the spur gear. That's all.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Kev_B

ORIGINAL: Kev_B

....... In the end I put one of the washers that came with the pinnion on the shaft first, hopefully that should do the job.
Am I worrying for nothing as usual?

Kev.
Hi Chevyman_de, I've put a shim in there already, but not that thick. I'll pop another in. It's just the small amount of sideways play of the spur on it's carrier that made me a little cautious. Thanks.

Kev.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:11 PM
chevyman_de

And if everything else fails, you can still opt for a steel spur gear conversion now.