Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Tuning the Carb

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 05:17 PM
fdfhdfh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning the Carb

I have had a lot of trouble with my MB, but now its grown up out of it's strop!

Now can any one tell me how to tune this baby? I press the throttle and the truck seems to hesitate/bog down and act very slow at low speed so i think i need to lean out the L screw?

Thanks for your help guys

Your the best....
Old 02-17-2005, 08:18 PM
skulldoctor

Default RE: Tuning the Carb

The biggest pain in the arse, behind piles has got to be engine trouble. Looking at the size of the Zenoah you would think that there can't be that much that can go wrong to them, well think again. I suppose once you know your way around them things get a bit easier, but Ive seen some experienced people left baffeld. What we aim to do here is cover all, or most of the common problems assosiated with the Zenoah and Solo engines. Hopefully we can help you out with this infomation.

MIXTURE SETTINGS.
Zenoah G230 RC H 1.1/2 turns L 1.1/4 turns
Zenoah ZG22/G2D H 1 turn L 1 turn
Solo H 1. 1/2 turns L 1.1/4 turns
These are the factory settings on the mentioned engines. They are set according to local conditions. This is depending on the air filter, exhaust and climate conditions. Use the above settings as a starting guid line and depending on what your engine set up is, you will probally have to make some slight adjustments.
BASIC CARBURETOR ADJUSTMENT.
As I said earlier, the standard settings are just a guid line and most carbs have to be adjusted, If you feel that your no-load (L) or your full load (H) screws are completely misadjusted, then carefully close both screws. Then turning them anti clockwise follow the settings that are listed above.
STARTING A COLD ENGINE
Always make sure the throttle is in the closed position. Now apply the choke which is on the carb on the solo and Zenoah G230 or on the air filter on the earlier Zenoah engines. Press the primer pump located on the carb until the pump is full of fuel, this you will be able to see. Pull the handle until you hear the engine try and start, this usually takes 2-4 pulls. When you reach this stage, open the choke and give another couple of pulls. This should start your engine.
STARTING A WARM ENGINE
Make sure that there is fuel in your primer cap and that the choke is open, then pull cord.
BEFORE YOU START
Before you start to tune your engine there are a couple of basic things that you should check first. Firstly make sure that your spark plug is in good condition. You do this by simply scewing it out of the cylinder and checking it, if the electriod looks too oiled up then change it as it will make things a lot easier. Most plugs come with the gap pre set but it wont hurt to check to make sure its right. Secondly make sure you have enough fuel as it soon runs low with all that testing and reving, also make sure that your filter is on nice and secure with no possibilty of air leaks. And lastly make sure your batteries are nice and charged. Let us begin!
BASIC TUNING
This is based on the assumption that your car starts but is not runing right. Firstly make sure that you have the mixture settings set to the factory settings. This is quite important at this stage. Then Screw the idel scew in till it bites on the spring that it is set in, then give it one more full turn. Doing this should keep your revs up once you have pulled the starter and got her going. Before you pull the starter make sure your radio is on and working. Pull the starter and after a couple of pulls she should start, if not then you may have a problem which we will cover in our trouble shooter section. Whilst the car is running you will be able to tell if the engine is reving to high just by listening to it. If it is turn the idel screw out slightly(anti-clock wise), only slightly as the engine is still cold and does need to warm up, it is pointless trying to tune a cold engine. Drive the engine until it reaches working temperature. If you notice that the engine decelerates during acceleration, then your engine is running too lean. To rectifie this the no load screw L should be turned anti clockwise. Imagine the screw being a clock, then your adjustments have to be made in 5 minute turns, in other words very small movements. If the engine revs up slowly and runs rough under clouds of smoke, this means you are probally running with an over rich mixture. In this case you should turn the no load scew in clockwise by 5 mins at a time until you have rectified the problem. Run the car repeatedly making minor adjustments until you are happy with the way it is performing.
MAXIMUM REV RANGE
In order to adjust the maxium range of speed, lift the rear wheels and rev the engine shortly at maximum revs. Now you can adjust the Full load screw H to the left to lean off the mixture or to the right if too rich.You will hear the engine reaching its peak revs and you can also notice when it starts to loose the peak. The best way to tune your car is to run it on a track or field and make your adjustments after each run. Remember to make very slight adjustments at a time, this way you will see your improvements a lot better.
POINTS TO REMEMBER
When tuning your engine, after every run make sure you check the bubble on the carb. If this is empty after testing then this means your engine is too hot and running too lean. What you should be looking for is a full bubble or nearly full at least.
TOO MUCH SMOKE
You should also be aware of your engine if it smokes to much, this means it is running too rich and is getting too much fuel. To adjust this turn your L screw in by 5 mins, remember imagine that the screw is the face of a clock, small adjustments is all you need.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:31 PM
geniusgene

I had the same problem w/ my new MT. I also thought it was rich on the bottom end, so comming from nitro I leaned it. Well it wouldnt even start. I put the needle back and it fired right away. While it was running I leaned it to get rid of the bog comming off idle. Leaning it made it worse. Turns out it was already to lean, upon richening the low needle slightly the truck took off like a champ. I having a hard time forgetting all my nitro knowledge.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:03 AM
price_l
My Feedback: (2)

I have a firehammer that is still on its second tank of gas. The thing really screams off the start. It will dig a rut untill it reaches full throttle. Thats when it starts to sound a little funny. This is my first non nitro rc so it might just be me. On the top end it sounds a little rich. It sounds like its not reaching its full top end. Dont get me wrong, Im happy with the way it runs now but on top end it doesn't soud very clean. I also am still running the car with rich gas (for the break in). Should I mess with it now or wait till I get the gas to the right mixture? Thanks for any info.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:22 PM
kidd

here's how i searned to tune weed eaters and these instructions are included with most weed eaters. the low speed needle: turn it counterclockwise (rich) until it the engine starts to studder take note of the position of the needle. then turn it clockwise (lean) until it studders take note of the position. now turn the needle so that it is centered between the points that the engine studdered.

the high speed needle: most instructions are the same as the low speed, but you have to have the engine reved at full throttle. this can be hard because of the engine vibrating makes it difficult to hold the screwdriver in the correct position. me personally just lift the rear and rev full throttle for a few seconds i'll richen it and repeat till i get the engine to studder. then i repeat the process turning the needle to lean the engine.

i do not lean the high speed needle until it studders to many rpm's and not enough lubrication! i also don't lean it to far from where it studder from being to rich just enogh to make the engine sing at full throttle.

these instructions are the simplest they can be and with the weather changing on a daily bases here in missouri my monster beetle is a breeze to tune
Old 02-26-2005, 09:58 PM
USABaja5B

That is how Ryobi tunes their engines, now that I think about it. But they have an exhaust analyzer to bring it to the extremes and then the operator settles in on a center point that give the best exhaust gas misture. This should be a sticky.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:44 AM
original.mb

skulldoctor

excellent in depth guide man i hope to have as much in depth knowledge on my zenoah i'm gonna copy and paste that info. for future ref.

i kept my engine break in quite rich at what stage do you think it is safe to lean it out a touch