Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Radio Equipment for MT

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 05:41 PM
ricok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Equipment for MT

As you guys no I am finalizing my Monster Truck order from Germany. I need to make a decision on what radio equipment I'm going to buy. As you also know, I have changed my mind to the non-RTR version. I think at the end of the day this is the better option. Don't waste 120 euros on the RTR version if I'm anyway going to need to replace the radio equipement. I am thinking on getting the following from Tower Hobbies:

1. Futaba 3PK with the PCM receiver. I want the PCM receiver for the build-in failsafe. Hopefully this is worth loosing the HRS receiver.
2. Steering servo: Hitec HS5745
3. Throttle servo: ???

I'm not sure on what to get for the throttle / brake. Was actually thinking on getting another HS5745 but I don't know if I maybe need something faster. The HS5745 seems to be a very good value for money servo.

I'd appreciate your advice.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Automan

Default RE: Radio Equipment for MT

The 5745 (large size servo) wont fit in the hole for the throttle/brake servo, try the hitec 5645mg that is a very nice servo that have enough power, and it will fit with no problems (standard size)

The HRS receiver have failsafe to, just so you know

Steering servo is ok, most users here have it in their Fg's and love it. it's a nice servo.

Good choice to stay away of the RTR version, it's better to chose your own servos and radio [sm=thumbup.gif]

Good luck with the car, and do post some pictures when you have painted it. Don't forget to double check every bolt and give it a good look over before you start it up first time. Then don't forget to check them from time to time.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:40 AM
ricok

Thanks Automan, appreciate the reply.

Do you recommend I go then for the HRS receiver? Which one, PCM or HRS, will be less prone to interference?
Old 03-09-2005, 02:17 AM
rhylsadar

hi
i used both pcm and hrs with the 3pk. no problems with any of them. as automan said both have the built in failsafe. but it is also a bit hard to feel that the hrs should be that fast.
the hitec servos are a bit sensitive to high voltage. never plug in a freshly charged battery with 5cells. maybe just go with 4 sub c cells.
as an alternative for the steering take a look at the futaba 5050 and for t/b servo futaba 9350.
btw i guess you have checked what frequencies are allowed for rc models in your area...
rhylsadar
Old 03-09-2005, 02:56 AM
ricok

Thanks guys.

Yes I have checked - 27 & 40. I am anyway gonna buy digital servos so it seems that I can just as well go for the HRS then. Does not seem to be any advantage then to get the PCM, except if you're going to run non-digital servos. The prices for the HRS & PCM are the same.

Thanks for the servo info. Appreciate it...
Old 03-09-2005, 02:57 AM
jimbo1890

rhylsadar you have me a little worried

yoy said
the hitec servos are a bit sensitive to high voltage. never plug in a freshly charged battery with 5cells. maybe just go with 4 sub c cells.
I have a 5 cell pack and a 5945mg hitec servo on a hrs receiver do you know at what voltage damage is done?
If I wait 10 minutes after I disconnect from the charger will the voltage have droped enough?

I am guessing that damage is done only at the top of the voltage curve, am I correct?

more info would be apreciated
Old 03-09-2005, 03:31 AM
rhylsadar

hi
i don't know at what voltage a higher risk of damage is occuring. there were some problems with smoked hitec's as far as i read and i myself experienced some too. right after charging a 5cell sub c pack can easily go substantially above 7V. i charge my receiver batteries mostly the day before i use it. sure voltage drops shortly after disconnecting but i would rather wait for an hour or so. never measured the drops in voltage. on the car i use hitec servos i now use a 4 cell pack. on the other with futaba servos i use a 5cell pack.
rhylsadar
Old 03-09-2005, 04:14 AM
jimbo1890

thanks, I will make sure I let it sit for a while before I connect it up
Old 03-09-2005, 06:23 AM
Automan

I can only recommend the HRS system, i use it on both my cars and working perfect... just bare in mind NOT to put a analogue servo in a HRS system

About witch is more sensitive for interference.... both are very good and i don't think you will have any problems with interference at all on either of them. The PCM used some sort of coded signal while HRS uses high-speed digital signal, i think it's similar in the way of being sensitive to interference, just relax and enjoy the ride

rhylsadar is probably right about the volt is high right after charging the cells, so to be on the safe side, do as i do.... let it sit for a couple of hours until to connect them. I haven't thought of it before, i have just never used it directly after a charge... good thing i didn't right, must be my sixth sense [sm=biggrin.gif]

On the other hand, one here on this forum.. cant remember his name now, but he used 7,2volt lipoli i think it was, and he had no problems. I personally wouldn't use a lipoli pack on a off road truck, because they are quite sensitive and needs to be treated with care or else they may explode (it's what i heard about these lipoli), so i wouldn't recommend it.

Take care !!

/Automan
Old 03-09-2005, 08:51 AM
ricok

I assume you guys don't have many critical problems with your 3PK's. I'm living in South Africa and Futaba's support here is non-existent. I found that out today...
Old 03-10-2005, 07:58 AM
mrfisse

About your steering servo, read me signature
Old 03-10-2005, 08:42 AM
Automan

Most of the users here are using hitec 5745mg and are very satisfied with it, i have a 5735 and I'm very satisfied with it, and the 5645mg to for that matter. Overall almost everyone are using hitec servos and most are using the 5745 5735 for steering, some uses futabas, and a few uses multiplex.

In my cars i have a nice mixture of servos and they are very high quality and perform very well, hitec, voltz, multiplex, those are the only brands i trust so far [sm=thumbup.gif]

i think mrfisse are a little unfair, it's wrong calling 5745 a crappy servo.. just because he have had bad luck with it do not mean it's bad in any way, not many users have reported high failure rate on that servo, it seams to hold up very well, and it seams to be enough with one 5745 for steering the monster beetle/monster truck. So i can recommend you the hitec 5745 or 5735, they are reliable and good quality, i know from experience and what others here told me. I can also recommend multiplex.. but i think the hitec have a better price because more popular

Old 03-10-2005, 08:58 AM
mrfisse

Yeah im maybye a little hard on the hitecd servos but a friend of mine also bought the MT same time as i did with the same setup regarding servos etc. And his hitec steering serva also ceased to function some days ago. And we recently found out that our biggest local hobby dealer are stopping to sell Hitec servos and going over to Futaba servos due to a high failure rate with the Hitec servos
Old 03-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Automan

Some real bad luck there mrfisse, i feel sorry for you [sm=frown.gif] But i can't believe that your local hobby store had such high failure rate that they changed to futaba... strange [sm=confused.gif] What i hear everywhere else is that hitec has a high quality standard and very low failure rate, but for someone in the world the feeling is obvious the opposite of good.

I really cant say i like the hitec radios, but i like their servos. I use a futaba radio but i don't like their servos... you go with whats feel right for you to try ricok, we can only recommend stuff to you Good luck with whatever you get, and hope you will have no problems and just fun [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-10-2005, 10:53 AM
pehter aka ibbe

Could be a bad batch, I remember someone here who had simular problems.

I have the 5735 and no problem after almost 9 litre of fuel more then that the spring in the servo saver need to be replaced. It is more then sloppy now.

5645 for brake/thottle
5945 for front brakes
Old 03-10-2005, 11:11 AM
mrfisse

Nah i dont like futaba servos either, but then again its up to each person to decide what they like best. I used Hitec servos for my older 1/10 cars and never had any problems. But i just dont trust hitec servos anymore when they sit in larger scale cars. More then happy with the Multiplex servo though, feels alot more powerful and robust then the hitec one. But my hitec throttle and brake servo im more then happy with its precise and strong.