Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Monster tires and foam

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 07:38 PM
hellya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster tires and foam

Do they put foam in the FG monster tires? I heard it hasn't hit the U.S. market yet or is it that FG doesn't use it, tires come glued from the manufacturer with no foam...... dont they get flat spots? What about jumps?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:16 PM
fire01

Default RE: Monster tires and foam

You have to pierce a tiny hole in the rims to get a better over all performance.If you dont you will look like a bouncing cat. the tire walls are pretty ridgid but foam inserts would be alot better on performance.Mine did get flat spots if you leave the weight of the truck on all fours for a while but as soon as you move they inflate back to the origial roundness.[8D]
Old 03-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Jared1106

The foam inserts for the monster tires are in the catalog, but right, cant get them here in the US yet that I know of, I have seen some home made one's on Ebay but that is about it. I definatly want them for my MT, but realy havent seen the need for them in my MB. But they definatly couldnt hurt..
Old 03-08-2005, 08:53 PM
funshawstud

Not slammin n e one here but foam is foam in my books.
I have always just found some good quality foam from packaging or somthing and glued the ends together.
The foam is just taking up the space air normaly would ( thats why it is less bouncy with foam ) also drilling the hole simply allows the air to release from inside also reducing the bounce.
This is just my opinion but just about any kind of foam glued in an even ring you put inside your tires will work wonders.
If you are really very fussy buy the special rings.
If ya want a cheep alternative use carpet foam or rc aircraft fuel tank foam glued with silicone !
Mike
Old 03-08-2005, 08:56 PM
jimbo1890

You have to pierce a tiny hole in the rims to get a better over all performance.If you dont you will look like a bouncing cat. the tire walls are pretty ridgid but foam inserts would be alot better on performance.Mine did get flat spots if you leave the weight of the truck on all fours for a while but as soon as you move they inflate back to the origial roundness.
what size hole are we talking about? 1mm? 2mm? or smaller?

thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 10:24 PM
amitysanimal

I used some foam available at most craft shops. It was about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" thick......

amityanimal
Old 03-08-2005, 11:08 PM
JRexA

My friend driled a single 3mm hole on the inside of the rim, and it works wonders.

Before the tires would be sucked inwards, when driving at -10c, looking like they where Under inflated.
It also improved handling 300%
Old 03-09-2005, 10:40 AM
geniusgene

I wish I had known about the foams before I glued my rims. They would really hwlp performance if you ask me.