RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Offroad 1/5 + beach = bad idea?!

Old 03-11-2005, 06:57 AM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Offroad 1/5 + beach = bad idea?!

I know from past experience with a nitro buggy that sand gets in everywhere and is worse than dirt.

We have so much pristine, untouched beach down here - its ever so tempting to take the Marder out for play here. Especially with the wet sand and the shallow incoming water!

Has anyone ever used their Marder, Beetle, MT at the beach?

If you did - what precautions you took?

If you don't recommend - please also tell why (besides corrosion )
Old 03-11-2005, 08:14 AM
ammdrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Offroad 1/5 + beach = bad idea?!

ran the heck out of it, only issue was salt water caused a very quick pcm on the radio, so lots of protection for the radio gear.

after we were done the car was very very very very dirty in places we could not even imagine.

cleaned with fresh water( protect the electronics) and then lots of wd-40 to prevent corrsion, nitro cleaner/ electric motor spray would work well also as a last cleaner to leave a dry car.

we ran a prefilter on the airfilter, the very fine white sand is more likly to get inside the motor, or past the airfilter, and more likly to clog the air filter. best to have a prefilter, and to use oil on the foam to catch the dirt
Old 03-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Cyberfyn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As long as you don't touch the water you'll be fine. Salt water and FG's don't mix! Your dogbones will be rusty before the first tank's gone

Best time to race on sand is at low tide, and on the hard damp sand. The marder tyres just rip the beach to shreds, plus throw sand 50 yds and all over the croud that seems to gather.Absolutely brilliant! Take a shovel and make some bumps and ranps to make it interesting.

You will need to clean the car right down after though. Every metal nut and bolt need claeaning and oiling. If you leave it overnight it'll be a rusty hulk.

Ian F.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Cyberfyn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As long as you don't touch the water you'll be fine. Salt water and FG's don't mix! Your dogbones will be rusty before the first tank's gone

Best time to race on sand is at low tide, and on the hard damp sand. The marder tyres just rip the beach to shreds, plus throw sand 50 yds and all over the croud that seems to gather.Absolutely brilliant! Take a shovel and make some bumps and ranps to make it interesting.

You will need to clean the car right down after though. Every metal nut and bolt need claeaning and oiling. If you leave it overnight it'll be a rusty hulk.

Ian F.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:42 AM
jimbo1890

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a huge area of dunes I've run on a couple of times I agree with everything ammdrew has stated though I run mine more than 1KM from the water's edge
I am using a fine woven sock as a prefilter

the problem I have had is the fine sand gets inbetween the spur gear and the spur gear carrier causing it to lock solid and melt the plastic gear carrier around the layshaft. I have ordered the alloy gearcarrier hopefully this will stop this failure

also I've noticed that sand is damaging the teeth of the spur gear slightly I'm running a steel pinion by the way.

(I'm calling the 46tooth gearwheel the spur gear to avoid confusion

the dunes are wild!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28009.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	242117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10832.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	242118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47773.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	242119  
Old 03-11-2005, 04:52 PM
ibstar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeap run mine on the beach and in the dunes too
only thing i added was a gear cover.
only problem i had i noticed the medium tyres wear quite quicky
not fast enough to stop me playing though
oh as i'm sure you've found out don't stand behind it, and if on dry sand stay up wind it goes everywhere.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:39 PM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do you guys notice if running the truck in "wet" areas where water will be sploshing everywhere - will it be a problem for the ventilation holes in the tires?

Or would it be better to close them anyway as if playing in sand, the bounciness of the tires wouldn't be of a concern? [&:]
Old 07-10-2005, 12:31 AM
jimbo1890

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you put your ventilation holes in the centre of the tyre tread rather than the rim any water that goes in comes back out easily by having the hole at the bottom and squeezing the tyre.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:47 AM
jeepfreak1972

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I run in the sand all the time. The only problem I have is with the front cable brakes. In the sand they start to drag because of the sand getting between the disc and pads. I loosen up the screws that adjust the pads and the problem goes away along with my front breaks. I readjust for running on regular dirt or grass.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:03 AM
dubby

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Only problem I have had is rust, but then I didnt by it to look at so a bit of rust here and there doesnt bother me one bit.

Water plays havoc with my servos so I try to avoid it until the urge to try and aquaplane it gets to much to resist I normally just spray WD40 or duck oil all over the servos before I run it to try and keep some water out.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:41 AM
jimbo1890

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have now put at least another six tanks through since I fitted the alloy spur carrier and my spur gear is still holding up though I had to move my steel pinion a little bit to find some fresh teeth. Other than that I have had no worries I am running the front cable brakes too and I haven't had the problems Jeepfreak has had.

p.s. Launching off a forty foot dune and landing upside down is not good for the spoiler and I also have a nice little dimple on the marder body where the spark plug sits underneath