Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

BRAKE CABLES

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 09:35 PM
RC Jack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BRAKE CABLES

Could someone please tell me where I can purchase, in the US, brake cables for 1/5th or 1/6th scale? Part numbers? I have looked everywhere. I don't want bicycle cables.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:43 PM
daytona7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BRAKE CABLES

Check FG or one of the other large scale RC makers. Also check RevUp magazine for manufacturers and dealers. Bike shops do not deal with the smaller stuff.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:49 PM
RC Jack

I've tried those places........nada.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:57 PM
mnf1sand

Any of our dealers on this page can help. http://www.molzermoweryracing.com/dealer.html
Old 03-16-2005, 11:07 PM
RC Jack

ORIGINAL: mnf1sand

Any of our dealers on this page can help. http://www.molzermoweryracing.com/dealer.html
That helped, mnf1sand, thanks. One of the links put me in touch with FGPROS.com and I came up with these numbers:
10451/01 Bowden cable f.rear disk brake F1,1pce. $12.09
10451/05 Bowden cable f.rear disk brake F1, 1pce. $6.11
Old 03-17-2005, 08:48 AM
original.mb

mike at www.rrcnutshobbies.com

here is a llink to install them.-

http://fgperformancerc.hypermart.net...directions.jpg

veron.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:42 AM
RC Jack

Thanks Veron, but, they aren't going in any of those. Everything from the calipers to the cable mounts will have to be made. If I can get the internals for the hydraulic master cylinder, I'll put hydraulic brakes in the second pic, otherwise, the mechanicals will be going in this, (pic 1), and if they work out, I'll put them in this, (pic 2):

Old 03-17-2005, 12:41 PM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

i went to the local bike shop, and the guy found me some stuff to repair one of my cables. Might give them a try, i guess they can make special cables also.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:00 PM
RC Jack

No Moa, the keywords being "make special cables". Well, I took your advice and made my own, less than 1/8":

Old 03-17-2005, 09:01 PM
swiftt

Just curious...

Why don't you want to use bike cables? Bicycle derailer cables are not as thick as bicycle brake cables and the nice ones are teflon coated for smooth action.

That's what I'd use. Locally available and reasonably priced. In fact, I was considering adapting some Avid mechanical disc brake calipers from a bicycle to large scale r/c use. I'm going to make the rotors myself. Lightweight, good mechanical advantage, reliable, easy to get parts for locally.

Just a thought.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:20 PM
daytona7

Some bike shops will let you have the extra pieces they would normally throw away for nothing. That is cable and shield.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:54 AM
RC Jack

ORIGINAL: swiftt

Just curious...

Why don't you want to use bike cables? Bicycle derailer cables are not as thick as bicycle brake cables and the nice ones are teflon coated for smooth action.

That's what I'd use. Locally available and reasonably priced. In fact, I was considering adapting some Avid mechanical disc brake calipers from a bicycle to large scale r/c use. I'm going to make the rotors myself. Lightweight, good mechanical advantage, reliable, easy to get parts for locally.

Just a thought.
Never thought about Derailleur cables, tho, I don't belive you can get them in sizes that I need, comparable to one pictured, besides, they would be expensive. My cables are of good quality and they only cost less than a dollar to make per 6" cable.

I haven't had the chance to get into large-scale yet. As for those Avid calipers, looked just about right for a large-scale. Good luck adapting them, it should be a snap.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:35 AM
original.mb

rcjack,

that tube chassis is cool nicely thought out and designed much like the real thing a friend of mine rich from the states used to make tube chassis's much like yours for grave digger replica's the company used to be called rcmidwest? have you heard of them?