Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG cable disk brakes - help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 05:18 AM
Stegy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG cable disk brakes - help

Guys, need help and advice.
I'm going to order front cable brakes for MT, and don't know what to get, normal (6250/3) or tuning version (6250/6), cause I don't know is tuning version worth extra 50$.
I would like to save some money, and if it isn't so much difference i would go for normal.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:54 AM
Automan

Default RE: FG cable disk brakes - help

What i heard the tuning version for the front on the monster truck is not available yet, according to importer here in sweden www.minicars.se, but i don't trust them very much [] I'm going to import my own stuff in the future, I'm fed up with their slow-motion service [sm=thumbdown.gif]

What i did was choosing a tuning set for the rear, and that standard for the front (was the only front set that is available now) and just take some from the rear set to the front, steel disc in front, placed the plastic disc in rear.... what i noticed so far is that the plastic disc setup bites better and the steel disc setup not so much bite, but all that may change when starting to use it... maybe.

I would say that you can buy those cheaper disc's, they seams to have great stopping power, and if you want to change the disc it's no problem to put what ever you want there. I don't know if a set of hydraulics has a better stopping power, or just are simpler to setup, but if these wire disc brakes i try now don't hold up i will most certainly go for a good set of hydraulics and hope they are better.

Go for that standard disc set, i dont think you will be disappointed. But i do think you have to do some adjustments to the arms on it (those levelers who press the pads together)... you will see when you get it a easy fix though maybe the fix isn't necessary if using them normal, but I'm not taking any chances and want them to work 100% with as much force they can deliver to stop my truck better to be safe then sorry [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-17-2005, 06:37 AM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

The tuning set is available, the only difference is it has the alloy parts for the brake mounts instead of plastic.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:52 AM
Doohan

I use the cable tuning brakes in my MT....just make sure you get a high torque servo. Ive got a Hitec with about 170oz of torque.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:06 AM
Automan

It's what i figured.. then it's the last time i will buy anything from them [:@] they really don't know much what they are talking about when it comes to these Fg cars they are importing, they seam to be like ? about everything concerning these cars and that's just sad []

Well, it's no problem for me importing stuff my self.. then i will get what i want and no bull...., And import myself will probably be allot cheaper to, [sm=thumbup.gif]

As rcnutshobbies said, the only difference is that one or two parts (plus disc) in plastic instead of alloy on the standard version. You will probably not notice the difference, and if you by some reason would feel to change some parts later, it's not problems but as i said, the plastic disc's seams to have better bite then the tuning disc's, and will probably hold up for a few hours bashing, but probably not for a high speed on track race that those 1/5 touring cars are dealing with. When on a track racing at high speeds and using the brakes very hard, having plastic disc there would be a mistake in my opinion, but for you i think it will work out fine, btw i think there are a few here that have that standard setup in the front.

Btw, i do think it's some sort of special plastic in those standard disc's, so they may very well stand for heavy breaking at higher speeds, so start with them.. i think you will be satisfied [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-17-2005, 07:39 AM
jimbo1890

Hi guys

I just fitted front cable brakes FG# 6250/2
the discs look plastic but are painted metal so should last ok the problem I had was the plastic arms that the outer brake cable tube fits into at the caliper flexes so I ordered the aluminium replacments and they are ok now. The other problem I had was the alloy uprights that came with my marder race had the caliper mounting screw holes at the rear of the uprights. This was a problem because the arms I mentioned before pressed on the top wishbone at less than full turning lock so it reduced steering travel. it's not a problem with the hydraulics aparently so make sure the screw holes in your uprights are at the front of the car for front cable brakes

I am using a hitec 5945mg for throttle/brake
Old 03-17-2005, 08:10 AM
Stegy

Thanks people.
I think I'll go for 6250/3 set, and save money for alloy uprights, that as I heard you must install if you want front cable disks working properly.
DOn't know should I buy another servo for front brakes cause my throttle/brake servo is hitec HS-645MG, 9.6kg@6V, I think that's enough.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:30 AM
Doohan

You should run a 3rd servo for the front brakes only.....your throttle/rear brake servo is not strong enough.
Plus, the design of the servo tray in the MT is set up to run the front brake servo on the opposite side to the throttle servo.
You will never get cable front brakes plus throttle and rear brakes working off one servo.
The tuning set is far better.....better discs and brakes pads, better cables, less plastic parts etc....
Old 03-17-2005, 08:43 AM
original.mb

in regards to topic here is a good link on installing the.-

http://fgperformancerc.hypermart.net...directions.jpg

enjoy

veron.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:27 PM
kidd

should i save that link to my favorites or put the whole page in my pictures
Old 03-17-2005, 10:28 PM
FIREHAMMER516

I went to my local hobby shop yesterday to order the front cable brakes for my firehammer. the guy says he can order them and gives me the price, i go to drop my buggy off today and he tells me the guy who he gets his parts from screwed up and is giving me the hydaulic brakes for the same price. From what he said they are from FG. Does anyone know how they are. are they worse or better than the cable brakes.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:17 AM
original.mb

firehammer516,

you got yourself a great deal as hydro's are dearer than the cable version. the ones you bought i would have thought would be the fg ones but you never know you may have a set of collari's on the way or could even be kp design mark 3 hydro's. out of all of them i have been informed by the man himself that mark 3 kp designs hydro's are the best competition brakes out there so they should work very well in our mt's.

doohan,

i have to disagree with you on that one as i have been informed that you can link front cable brakes to the exissting throttle servo? forgive if i'm wrong but i'm installing my front cable brakes this weekend so i will be able to see for myself.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:38 AM
jimbo1890

I've got mine hooked up to the throttle/brake servo working great
Old 03-18-2005, 06:53 AM
JRexA

Hydraulic brakes is normally way more expensive, and more efficient.
They are also mostly self adjusting.

I wouldn't hesitate a second before jumping in on that offer!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:11 AM
original.mb

kidd

yepp indeed bookmark that link cheers
Old 03-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Kev_B

I've got my front discs runing from from my throttle/brake servo too and they are working fine. However, I don't dispute the fact that they would probably work better with their own dedicated servo, or even if I could get off my backside and fit this Multiplex Jumbo in for the throttle/front-rear brakes, just worried it's response may be a little too slow for my liking.

Kev.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:02 PM
FIREHAMMER516

i just called the hobby shop and the car wont be ready till tomorrow. He was adding a servo for the brakes and had to move the reciever box. I cant wait to get it and try it with the new brakes.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:28 AM
FIREHAMMER516

finally got my truck home with the new brakes. All i can say is wow. I have a few fast pictures i took.

pictures arent great but what do you think of the set up.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:47 AM
hellya

Are those brakes on all 4s or just the fronts
Old 03-20-2005, 12:54 AM
FIREHAMMER516

I only did the front so far. couldnt afford the rear ones yet. maybe next month. lol
Old 03-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Kev_B

Looking good Firehammer. That is one busy radio tray though!
I'd keep my eyes on that antenna tube if I were you, it looks very close to the tuned pipe, if it melts right through to the wire you'll have a runaway.

Kev.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:39 AM
original.mb

are they collari or kp designs hydros?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:27 AM
FIREHAMMER516

i know i have to keep my eye on the tube. still no problems yet. the box the brakes came in say fg on them so i would assume they are fg brakes.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:45 AM
original.mb

firehammer

did i read correctly? did your lhs install them for you? c'mon guy thats cheating lol
Old 03-21-2005, 09:51 AM
FIREHAMMER516

yes my lhs did install them. He got them in and i have a baby due anysay now so i had them install them. I dont have time right now to install anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.