Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Diff and Shock Oil in Marder Race

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Diff and Shock Oil in Marder Race

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 06:37 AM
GaryDay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff and Shock Oil in Marder Race

I've just bought a Marder Race and I'd like to know what grade/rating of silicon shock oil to use. Also, I just bought some thick silicone for the diff as the standard diff oil is like water. Is there a recommended method of dismantling the rear end to remove the diff. I don't want to launch in and remove everything only to find out there's a simple method.
Thanks
Old 03-17-2005, 07:17 AM
jimbo1890

Default RE: Diff and Shock Oil in Marder Race

welcome aboard Gary
I am in the process of assembeling the rear end on my race after an fg adjustable diff upgrade and there is no easy quick way, pretty well everything has to come off to get to the diff

I'm not the one to advise you on shock oil as i am a newbie as well

good luck
Old 03-17-2005, 07:51 AM
mnf1sand

The stock oil is 2000wt. we run 3000 in the rear of our off-roaders. The diff is not made to hold any oil, just add some grease to the gears. it is not a sealed case so silicone will come out eventually.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:01 PM
mrfisse

Im also in the process of finding a good shock oil for my Monster Truck. I wasted 2 shocks recently so i removed them all and emptied them of oil. The oil that was in them was more like gelly then oil, it had a "dont use the stock oil because i suck" feeling over it.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:28 AM
GaryDay

Thanks all.

I've gone for 2000wt in the shocks and in the rear diff I've gone for pure silicone which is incredibly think. So I pulled the back end appart with no problems, had great fun removing the outer cover of the diff, but I managed it in eventually without wrecking it. I now understand what 'mnf1sand' mentioned about it not being sealed.
So it's all back together, I've almost put two tanks of fuel through it, so I should be able to give it some welly and start thing about Hop Ups !!

Cheers