Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

diffs AGAIN

Old 03-29-2005, 10:20 AM
ibstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diffs AGAIN

right after saying to a few people i can't understand how they keep blowing diffs, i managed to do it kind of
i have read that most seem to fry the gears inside.
took mine out on grass today and noticed however slow i cornered the back just spun out.
on inspection the diff was locked up tight, so stripped it out and replaced with a nice cheap one bought from e bay many months ago in anticapation of such event.
the thing is after ripping the moon surface tube off, the gears are like brand new, ok there should be some grease in it but hey its old. what seems to have happened is the drive shafts have become very tight in the diff case, one side removed with hammer and drift.
i think a new case will sort it, but anyone else come across this ??????????
how much for ally case
Old 03-29-2005, 10:28 AM
spoonie

Default RE: diffs AGAIN

Man... what on earth is going on here with the FG stuff... You got a MT-5? You should post this question on the FG product defect that i started... Heck we should make a sticky thread for this.... [:@]
Old 03-29-2005, 12:55 PM
ibstar

this is marder
Old 03-29-2005, 01:10 PM
funshawstud

different car same problem !
YES IT IS A FIRE HAMMER
I noticed some of the main drive gear screws had come loose so I tore it apart to fix. I felt the diff was very chunky while turning the drive so I also tore it apart and cleaned it all up for inspection.
everything was fine.
I bumped a curb side ways last weak and apparently drove the drive lug on the left side right up against the bearing and it was almost locked tight but didnt notice at that point. ( kept driving )
loosened it up now and everything is smooth again lots of control.
I had noticed that it was pretty hard to control lately but now it is explained since the back wheels were turning at dfferent speeds.
I made small shimms to help keep the spacing right.
hope this helps
mike
Old 03-29-2005, 02:25 PM
ibstar

you do not have to push them right in
as soon as you put the drive cups though the case they tighten up, like the case has shrunk
Old 03-29-2005, 04:10 PM
hellya

For the price of $900 - $1200..... FG and Duratrax need to make the alloy differential a standard issused item with the buggies/trucks......... Not A Ugrade!!!!!

Might as well throw in a engine mount up grade

Look at the profit margin they have.... they make $3-500 profit on each unit sold

Spend $1100 on a MB..... 3 - 4 tanks later need to replace the diff????? Whats wrong with that picture[sm=punching.gif][:@]
Old 03-29-2005, 06:03 PM
ibstar

right after saying to a few people i can't understand how they keep blowing diffs, i managed to do it kind of
i have read that most seem to fry the gears inside.
took mine out on grass today and noticed however slow i cornered the back just spun out.
on inspection the diff was locked up tight, so stripped it out and replaced with a nice cheap one bought from e bay many months ago in anticapation of such event.
the thing is after ripping the moon surface tube off, the gears are like brand new, ok there should be some grease in it but hey its old. what seems to have happened is the drive shafts have become very tight in the diff case, one side removed with hammer and drift.
i think a new case will sort it, BUT ANYONE ELSE COME ACROSS THIS PROBLEM ??????????
Old 03-29-2005, 06:22 PM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

Just curious, what prices you guys are paying for replacement diffs (complete everything, pop in and drive) for:

* FG Marder
* Firehammer
* FG Monster Truck

Old 03-30-2005, 05:30 AM
ibstar

£25 ebay
but it was the older one were the drive cups are held in with grub screws, but it works
Old 03-30-2005, 07:58 AM
fire01

Is the diff conversion kit 8484 sealed? Or i m i better off getting 8500/5 with diff risers if it wasn t so pricey.If the 8484 sealed id go for that one