Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

This thing is not what I expected

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

This thing is not what I expected

Old 03-29-2005, 12:17 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This thing is not what I expected

Well, I was impressed by the size of the Monster Beetle, but that is where it ended. I do not know what I was expecting, but I am a little disappointed with my experience so far with my new 6th scale.

First of all...my painting skills STINK!!! All of that time and planning, the numerous cans of paint, the practicing on spare lexan...for what? Nothing. My Beetle looks like cr@p. I'm afraid to try stripping the paint off and I can't afford another body right now, so I'm stuck with it. [&o] No fault of the vehicle itself, but it certainly added to my frustrating week.

The servo/electronics cover was a pain in the @$$ to get fitted properly...and then I made the mistake of painting it on the inside to make it look cool...not smart. Can't see the electronics if the cover is painted...DUH!!! Did the gear cover the same way, da#*t. [:-]

The thing is WAY too loud to drive near my house, so I had to take it to a not so near-by field for break-in and tuning...this son of a gun is heavy! Trying to take the MB, a few tools, and my radio transmitter is like trying to hold a three-year-old child in one hand, and three dozen eggs in the other. After a few minutes, I wanted to just start it up and drive it to the field - broken in or not! [:@]

After idling and cooling it down several times for the first tank of gas (the fuel stinks to high heaven by the way), I noticed that the response time for the throttle was very slow compared to a nitro truck...it was kind of sluggish. I hope it will get peppier over time.

When driving the Monster Beetle, it seems to drift and slide around on top of loose soil, like it is floating. Steering it was really weird. It is so heavy, I expected that it would dig into the ground even better than an 8th scale buggy does, but it did not handle well at all. I guess that is just rear-wheel drive with monster tires, and I'm just not used to it yet.

Next, the engine revved, but the wheels did not turn...simple to fix once I found the problem, but annoying. Started with the diff. for some reason, but it was fine, so I filled it with heavy diff. grease before reassembling. Then, I checked all of the grub screws, staring with the wheel squares and ending with the pinion gear. Guess which one was loose. THAT'S RIGHT! Started at the wrong end of the drive train. [sm=angry.gif]

I was absolutely too terrified to jump or bump even by the third tank of gas, so I just drove in straight lines. (cannot afford to buy any replacement parts right now...my wife is already saying 'I told you so!')

Next, the steering went to pot. WHAT NOW?!!! 1/4 scale servo (HiTec 700BB) splines are stripped out. It just could not take even the minimal abuse that I put it through. Great! [sm=tired.gif]

The throttle servo twitches like a dieing fish.

Now when I go out into the garage, there sits my coveted Monster Beetle...an undrivable hulk...resting on my work bench...waiting for a metal gear servo and an aluminum servo arm...dusty...sad. [sm=sleeping.gif]
Old 03-29-2005, 12:52 PM
MJT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This thing is not what I expected

I cant recognize any of that.

Your painting skills stinks...okay, not FG's fault.

Servo cover? Who needs that, servo'es are close to waterproof - I have driven in snow in 5+ hours, no worries at all.

To loud? LOL - its as noisy as a nitro, what did you expect?

Its heavy - again, this is not a indoor babytoy. I have a 10x10 inch plastic case where the transmitter, batteries, tools etc. is in. When I carry my MB I pull of the spoiler, and carries the MB in the rollcage-thing in the right hand, and the plastic case in the left hand - works fine, can walk several miles that way.

Cant comment the response time for throttle, not a problem on my MB.

It is true that the MB is drifting a bit, but after a few hours of driving with it, you will learn to control the monster and it powers.

Its a good thing you have put new grease in the diff, it locks great. The fact that the gear was loose, is not a bad thing in my mind - tighten all screws etc. all the time (before you take it for a spin, not between 2 tanks)

What are you afraid of? You can EASILY drive crazy, without braking anything. With my MB I'm bashing where there are a vertical "dirtwall" aproxx. 15 feet tall - often I can reach the top before the MB rolls over and takes 10-15 rollovers and landing on the top...no worries if all screws are tighten.

Its sad your steering servo died, but thats what happens sometimes.

I do can see that you have ben unfortune, but do not blame the MB - us without problems bless the MB - it is a great vehicle in my mind.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:08 PM
skulldoctor

ORIGINAL: MJT

To loud? LOL - its as noisy as a nitro, what did you expect?

Cant comment the response time for throttle, not a problem on my MB.

i was just at my friends house running my mb and he was runnin his savage,and the savage was allllot louder than the mb. as far as your throttle response time, u will hav to fine tune it. mine was sluggish on factory settings but not no more
Old 03-29-2005, 02:43 PM
raptor 8

as far as your crappy painting skills go just put the whole thing in some paint thinner and it will just wipe right off. not sure how it reacts to lexan but my heli canopies which are plastic, like a pop bottle it works like a charm. you'll have to soak it awhile thou don't forget. Just take a piece of lexan and let it soak in some for a bit to see if it reacts badly. No problem paint it right this time. LOL
Old 03-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Lee G

I found thinners eats lexan, best use nitro. It gives a much better result
Old 03-29-2005, 03:14 PM
icecreamslick

I guess I was kind of crying in my earlier post *sniff* Sorry. I really should not whine and complain...the MB is pretty cool. I just expected such a high-dollar RC car to be flawless, and I have had such limited success so far.

If anyone is planning a trip to Houston, Texas, in the near future, be sure to contact me for a bash! I could really use a side-by-side comparison with another 6th scale. Plus, it would be nice to have someone to drive with since there are no tracks around here that allow these giant scale vehicles.

I do not have any RC friends and my wife refuses to come out and play. [&o]

Anyway, thanks for all of the encouraging words. [8D]
Old 03-29-2005, 04:00 PM
FifthScaleRacer
My Feedback: (1)

you might want to try a dual servo setup for steering like mine:

Old 03-29-2005, 04:14 PM
icecreamslick

Do you have any pictures that show how they are attached to the steering linkage? For example, with one 1/4th scale servo there is one servo arm and it attaches to both linkages, one on each side of the X-shaped arm. Turn left, one pushes and one pulls.

I have several 1/10th scale servos, but I do not think I am experienced enough (or smart enough) to set them up to work together without assistance. How do you plug two servos into the same spot on the receiver? Is that where the "Y cable" comes in? I have read some conversations about people using them, but that is the extent of my knowledge.

Now that my brain is on that track, I think I can imagine exactly how it would work (I do not have the MB in front of me), but...I wonder if I could make my own "splitter" from the two servo plugs?!! [&:]
Old 03-29-2005, 04:15 PM
kiora

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh dear.... not gone so well this time, I dont think the 700bb would ever have been upto steering an MB I use one for my throttle break servo but wouldnt consider it on the steering.

Mine isnt as loud as my t-maxx and yes unfortunatly petrol stinks.

The MB is pretty near indestructible, the wheels take a lot of the impact off of the suspension. I circuit race every week and the hits it has taken have astounded me, but no breakages yet the diff seems weak and the plastic gears are crap oh yeah the body mounting posts are crap as well they break on the hole, the brakes could be better but they work. reroute your wires that should stop any twitching.

Stick with it, its a way cool toy built to be bashed. My marder broke something every week but not this. If it makes you feel anybetter most of my paint has fallen off and it looks crap as well the roof is bare and the edges are going, still nevermind its all part of the fun.

see ya
col.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:48 PM
amitysanimal

As far as the fuel smelling, switch to white gas ( Coleman fuel/camping fuel) I switched to it because I don't want the smell of gas in my vehicle or basement. The Coleman fuel runs great, no difference in performance and doesn't smell bad. Yes it is about $3.00 a gallon, but gas is darn close to that now, besides a gallon lasts quite a while. I got Ozark Mountain brand at Wal-Mart and mixed it 31:1. I also added some of the rootbeer nitro scent to it and smells even better.

amitysanimal
Old 03-29-2005, 05:02 PM
FifthScaleRacer
My Feedback: (1)

thanks for the gas tip! I'll try it too

anyhow, here's the Y-harness I use for dual servo setup:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUR74&P=7
Old 03-29-2005, 05:41 PM
rubaga

Just a small note on brake in procedure. Guys correct me if I am wrong.

According to FG info - do not remember where I got it from - the right way to brake in the engine is to drive a car around. The gaz should never go beyond 70% of total. You should accelerate and decelerate. Do not brake in on idle as you may do with nitro. The reason is that two stroke engine use oil for lubrication which is mixed with gaz. And on idle there is not enough rpm to oil all necessary engine parts. The result of idling too much may be a brake of engine.

On your throttle performance. You may need to tune up the engine. But please be careful as it is not a simple process and I suggest you search this forum for tips on that or try and get some help from someone with experience.

Good luck. I actually like my MB a lot!
Old 03-29-2005, 05:51 PM
voo2doo

Well Icecream,I suggest going to "toys 'r' us" and getting a "proper one!" One with about a million batteries in it that dose'nt smell and is all ready painted for ya! Oh,if ya want something to mask the smell of a two stroke I suggest www.ARCO.com,there a industrial outlet based in the UK.They do some mean face masks If ya steering went to pot,set it up right!!!!! use the right gear and the right settings,we have all had teething problems.................My advice is stick to the 10/th scale that you are used to.
Vo0[&:]
Old 03-29-2005, 05:57 PM
ibstar

?????
Old 03-29-2005, 06:05 PM
FGUK
Banned

ORIGINAL: voo2doo

Well Icecream,I suggest going to "toys 'r' us" and getting a "proper one!" One with about a million batteries in it that dose'nt smell and is all ready painted for ya! Oh,if ya want something to mask the smell of a two stroke I suggest www.ARCO.com,there a industrial outlet based in the UK.They do some mean face masks If ya steering went to pot,set it up right!!!!! use the right gear and the right settings,we have all had teething problems.................My advice is stick to the 10/th scale that you are used to.
Vo0[&:]

Well..................... [X(]

Considering some of the fine examples of idiocy I've seen posted under your name Mr Voodoo that was a bit harsh!

I would guess that you've also just precluded yourself from any future help from many members of this forum.............

And all this from the person who's last post was something along the lines of having melted the rear wheel squares from driving too fast?

You lot don't help yourselves do you?!
Old 03-29-2005, 06:16 PM
voo2doo

Hummmmmmmmmm?
Yes FGUK,I thought you would come out with something like this,taken from the one that is whiter than white?????Fookin 'ell mate someone (no names) insulted your car and ya went off into one!!!(for weeks)Your the first to insult and degrade people on there posts so lets share things!Its not a one way street ya know,we all have our opinions.
Plus this fella dos'nt want to know 1/5 scale.
Regards
Vo0.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:43 PM
daytona7

Dang it. When I left the 1/4 scales, I thought I left all the kiddies and squabbling behind. Looks like we have some kiddies here also.
Icecream,
You have to look at the differences in chassis designs between say FG and WCM. The tube chassis and the height and width of the bodies leave enough room for a servo or two to be on it's side or end and also the slide bar for steering. The 1/5 or 1/6 scale are not as wide either. You also have to remember that the 1/4 scale cars have not kept up with technology like the 1/5 scales. Another big difference is the attitude. These people here are more than willing to share secrets or give tips and help. Something that is sorely missing in the 1/4's.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:50 PM
raptor 8

fg uk good to see ya back man.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:55 PM
madforce11

iceceramslick i had the same problem with my mt servos twitching my problem was the venom 7.2volt battery that was mounted in truck by my LHS. Just so happens my futaba magum three channel fm radio reciever did not like all this power could not route the power correctly fried my hitech 5745mg 1/4 scale servo i saw the twitching before it happen. I went to a 3300nmh 6 volt battery instead and that solve that problem. My futaba system loves that setup. Don't know what setup your using but the 6 volt setup seems to work well in most large stuff with hitec digital stuff, just a thought.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:08 PM
jimbo1890

Icecream slick don't dispair and please dont listen to aparent loosers that advise you to give up
I got my toy to enjoy as a hobby. to me a hobby is the complete package not just driving but repairing modifying and improving too. I have had my new marder race for about a month now and last friday was the first time I actually got to run the tank dry every other time things have gone sour but they were just a matter of an adjustment here or there my old marder is pretty well bullet proof now except for breakages which are all part of the fun as for the noise the neighbours mow their lawns don't they? it cant be any louder than that? as for the smell at least it starts first time not like nitro
As for being a lonesome 1/6 scaler I don't know anyone else in my area that run these things and i'm not welcome at the local track because I may "damage it" being too big [][]

I understand completely,spent all this money, wait anxiously for it to arrive, finally does, your ideas and plans for a smick paint job turn to crap then the thing doesn't run as hoped.[>:][>:]

My advice is persevere things will improve[8D]
Old 03-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Featherpluckin
My Feedback: (6)

Yo Icecream welcome to the world of large scale. It does take a bit of getting used to. You will learn if you keep at it how tro set up your vehicle just don't give up, as for driving with someone else check your local hobby shops put up a few notices there are probably a few more large scale cars around then you think there is. It can get frustrating if you have noone to help you find your feet just remeber take it slow and before going full bore learn to dfrive your new beetle its a bit different then driving a 10 or 8 scale car or truck. If you learn to drive it correctly you will also find you break alot fewer parts. Just remeber top have fun and that the hobby involves more then just gasing up and going there is also gthe wrench work that every vehicle needs.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:26 AM
ibstar

don't give up
these are a whole lot diffrent to nitro.
the back sliding, you will be perfecting in a couple of runs,
been to nitro tracks and heard the old "thought they would be faster than that", they don't say that after you run them over lol
stick with it
Old 03-30-2005, 08:05 AM
fire01

Dont give upIts a great hobby and can get costy sometimes but when you see the power and good looks these cars have its all worth it.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:22 AM
Automan

I agree. Don't give up! accidents may happen, and you may do stupid things when you drive and brake stuff if you are unlucky.

But when you drive with some common sense, and bash hard it is the most fun you will ever encounter up to date. Sure there are bigger 4wd, but they are heavier and don't take that much punishment, and 1/8 -1/10 little baby nitro toys are just embarrassing to be around. I know if you are unlucky it can cost much, but try to just do the changes/repairs and forget about it, then take your baby out for a new bash, hopefully you will get back the fun you missed out on the last time you tried.

These cars are very solid and can stand a whole lot of punishment, and don't require allot of maintenance, but like with all things... if you are out of luck bad things will happen.

So try to get over this bad day, and i promise you that you will understand it's worth it in the end when you start it up again and drive trough the terrain like there is no tomorrow

Keep the faith in big scale, it's where the really fun/crazy/cool stuff happens [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-30-2005, 07:16 PM
aicecoldone

ORIGINAL: amitysanimal

As far as the fuel smelling, switch to white gas ( Coleman fuel/camping fuel) I switched to it because I don't want the smell of gas in my vehicle or basement. The Coleman fuel runs great, no difference in performance and doesn't smell bad. Yes it is about $3.00 a gallon, but gas is darn close to that now, besides a gallon lasts quite a while. I got Ozark Mountain brand at Wal-Mart and mixed it 31:1. I also added some of the rootbeer nitro scent to it and smells even better.

amitysanimal
with white gas does'nt run alot hotter, Cause it runs hotter wont it melt the pistons and stuff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.