Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Good, and Bad...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good, and Bad...any ideas?

Well, I am so happy......I just recieved my reverse gearbox.....and oh yeah, this is gonna be great, built like a rock. So I have 2 things left to figure out on both ends of the truck.

1. I was going to use a chain drive, still might, but I would like to use a shaft. Anyone have any good way of either making one, or buying one. I know if I have to make it, it will have to be slightly extendable as my original design is two rear swing arms, not independant suspension.

2. I want to use two of my left over 10th scale shocks on my steering to eliminate some of the pressure on the servo, but am not sure how to do it. Anyone have any pics or good descriptive ideas? If not, then i will have to fork over the cash for a monster industrial servo, which I would do, just would rather not.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:26 PM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Good, and Bad...any ideas?

where did you find a reverse gearbox 1/10 or 1/8?? I Know mine is build like a rock. All steel drive and it is universal for all 1/4 scale cars. There are no servo saver type linkages to use with the tires your planing to use. If your going to add 4x4 you will need all the power you can get to turn you tires. Direct is your only option or drop the 4x4 option. I have tried everything possible to add a servo saver to 4x4 drive.You will loose power to turn your big tires.Weight is the biggest obstacle to overcome.The tires on my MT truck weight the same as your narrow tires you plan on using.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49272.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	251683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98857.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	251684  
Old 03-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Soloratov

Actually, I found the gearbox on ebay. It is a small 6" cube 5lb thing that was used on small go carts and the really tiny lawn tractors. It's rated from 1.5 HP, to 12HP, so hey, I know it'll work, and yeah, this is solid steel gears too. Nice thing is, all i have to do is hook an extra servo to it, and pull a pin in or out to switch direction. Very nasty grease inside too, should take quite a beating. At this point I am only going 2wd, until I can figure out the whole driveshaft/CVT joint issue, since I have independant suspension up front. As far as the steering I'll just have to see what I can get thru work for servos, and I'll do the direct link. I'm planning on overkill for power for the steering since I will be getting wider tires after it's all finished.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:07 PM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Well my transmission is only 1.875 x1.75"x2.5" and can be directly attached to the motor (with the clutch housing)or used separate and only weights 1.75 lbs and can handle a 9 hp motor and requires a standard 40 oz servo to shift no pins. The key to a well design truck is keep the weight off to go fast. Right now I am using a 5 hp (no tune pipe) 6.5 lbs. motor in my 2wd truck and it weights 36 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30332.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	252552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67395.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	252553  
Old 04-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Soloratov

What type of engine are you using? I am curious because that is the last bit of this that I need to find, and I haven't made a final descision yet. I want something with power, like a 5hp, just not sure what to look for.